Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anyone moved back and regretted it?

Anyone moved back and regretted it?

Old Jun 5th 2006, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone moved back and regretted it?

Originally Posted by Britjo67
We moved to St. Louis, Missouri in 1996. It was our big adventure, Hubby got work out there and it seemed like a chance to make a life for ourselves. We moved there with $3000, three suitcases, a 10 month old baby boy and a 28 month old girl. It was really hard at first, and I was so homesick and missed my family. Time went on and it got easier. We started considering buying a house, and applying for a green card. Then in 1998 our daughter who was by then 4 years old, started talking constantly about her grandma in England, about how she needed to see her, and she would ask when we could go if she saw a plane in the sky.

Rashly (with hindsight), we decided to come home for her benefit. It was something we lived to regret. Hubby found work easily enough and we moved back to near my Mum. We had more money, but the way of life wasn't as good. It seemed like we had a better life in the US, even though we had less money, we had friends and a great lifestyle. We've regretted it ever since. The education may be better in the UK, but we felt that the sporting opportunities open to the kids were better in the US.

Now we've decided that we're going to emigrate to Canada, as I've just completed four years of study. This time around we will have enough equity to buy a modest house without a mortgage, which will make for a comfortable lifestyle, and we'll be able to guarantee that we can fly back in an emergency (which we couldn't when we lived in St. Louis). The kids are 12 and 10 now, and our daughter, the reason we returned to the UK, is really excited about it. Our son is the reluctant one this time, but when he realises that he won't be the only kid in his school who plays ice hockey (like he is now!) I think he'll come around!!!

Being away isn't right for everyone, but coming back isn't always the right thing either. It wasn't for us, we'd changed in those two years and found it hard to adjust. My biggest regret is that I didn't think long and hard about returning, I decided that it would be the right thing on the spur of the moment. What is that phrase about repenting at leisure??

Plants, I hope that everything sorts itself out for you and your family. xxx
Hi BJ67

After reading your post and hearing your regrets of uprooting from the US to go back to the UK and realising it was a bad mistake, I just wanted to tell you we experienced a very similar thing ourselves last year, only we were only in Canada for 17 months, but even by then, I was "Canadianised" and my transition back to the UK hit me extremely hard. I needed Anti-D's to help me through the going back part as I couldn't let go of my life in Ontario. After 8 months in the UK, living at my parents the whole time and spending the last 4 months of those separated from my husband (who was living 13 miles away at his brothers).........it then turned round that it was my hubby who had been suffering depression and anxiety since October 2004, which led him to quit his job in Ontario and then forced us to sell everything up and go back home. My hubs was adamant he was the one who had the problem, but finally admitted it last July (after he got shingles). After just a month on Sertraline, his fog had lifted and he finally saw the cr#p situation we were living in. With commitment and determination to make better for ourselves, we managed to return back to Red Deer, Alberta with just 5 suitcases and $12,000 to our name and we are doing alright......not loaded by any standards, but we are surviving and are very, very happy.

You sound like you've really knuckled down with your studying in the UK and I hope it all pays off as you apply for Canada. I want to wish you every success in your attempt to immigrate to such a wonderful country.

Best regards,
Jaycee
Old Jun 5th 2006, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Britjo67
We moved to St. Louis, Missouri in 1996. It was our big adventure, Hubby got work out there and it seemed like a chance to make a life for ourselves. We moved there with $3000, three suitcases, a 10 month old baby boy and a 28 month old girl. It was really hard at first, and I was so homesick and missed my family. Time went on and it got easier. We started considering buying a house, and applying for a green card. Then in 1998 our daughter who was by then 4 years old, started talking constantly about her grandma in England, about how she needed to see her, and she would ask when we could go if she saw a plane in the sky.

Rashly (with hindsight), we decided to come home for her benefit. It was something we lived to regret. Hubby found work easily enough and we moved back to near my Mum. We had more money, but the way of life wasn't as good. It seemed like we had a better life in the US, even though we had less money, we had friends and a great lifestyle. We've regretted it ever since. The education may be better in the UK, but we felt that the sporting opportunities open to the kids were better in the US.

Now we've decided that we're going to emigrate to Canada, as I've just completed four years of study. This time around we will have enough equity to buy a modest house without a mortgage, which will make for a comfortable lifestyle, and we'll be able to guarantee that we can fly back in an emergency (which we couldn't when we lived in St. Louis). The kids are 12 and 10 now, and our daughter, the reason we returned to the UK, is really excited about it. Our son is the reluctant one this time, but when he realises that he won't be the only kid in his school who plays ice hockey (like he is now!) I think he'll come around!!!

Being away isn't right for everyone, but coming back isn't always the right thing either. It wasn't for us, we'd changed in those two years and found it hard to adjust. My biggest regret is that I didn't think long and hard about returning, I decided that it would be the right thing on the spur of the moment. What is that phrase about repenting at leisure??

Plants, I hope that everything sorts itself out for you and your family. xxx
All the very best to you, its never too late.
I wish you lots of happiness, good luck
Denise
Old Jun 20th 2006, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

Tumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sarah
Hi Alk, I'm from Blackburn and moved to the USA.
After you arrive in Oz, and start feeling homesick (and you will, and it can be hell)
Try and remember that the average joe needs about 2 years before they feel settled and at home in their new country.
Not everyone feels homesick I've been here a year and haven't missed the UK one iota.

A lot depends on the life you have in the UK, if you're used to having a well paid job high up the ladder and loads of disposable income then you might find it hard having to start from square one again on sometimes rubbish money. Personally I've spent my whole life pretty much without two beans to rub together a lot of the time, and you don't miss what you never had.

If you think you're coming to a better version of the UK then think again - Australia is NOT the UK, it's a country in its own right and has good and bad points, just like anywhere else. It's not utopia, you still have to lock your doors (see the post on the Australia forum about somebody who left a door open then moaned about getting robbed ) but there are so many good things here if you keep an open mind and embrace them.

I would also say if you're the sort of person who cares about labels and has to have a close knit team of friends and family on hand then maybe you should think twice about making the move.
Old Jun 20th 2006, 6:35 am
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tumbleweed
It's not utopia, you still have to lock your doors (see the post on the Australia forum about somebody who left a door open then moaned about getting robbed )
F@*k YOU !!!
Old Jun 20th 2006, 7:13 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, Sel.

If it makes you feel any better, leaving a door open or shut can make no difference. One afternoon I'd got the front door open, the security screen shut and was watching TV in the living room (the whole downstairs is open plan, so I can see the front door from the settee). I got the shock of my life when a bloke wandered up to the house and proceeded to start to let himself in - just opened the screen and started to walk in. I got up, walked towards the front door and just blocked him off, so he started to back out. It could have been really bloody dangerous. So I feel for you - it's unsettling. Hope you and yours are OK.

Nichola

Originally Posted by sel
F@*k YOU !!!
Old Jun 20th 2006, 7:25 am
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Hi, Sel.

If it makes you feel any better, leaving a door open or shut can make no difference. One afternoon I'd got the front door open, the security screen shut and was watching TV in the living room (the whole downstairs is open plan, so I can see the front door from the settee). I got the shock of my life when a bloke wandered up to the house and proceeded to start to let himself in - just opened the screen and started to walk in. I got up, walked towards the front door and just blocked him off, so he started to back out. It could have been really bloody dangerous. So I feel for you - it's unsettling. Hope you and yours are OK.

Nichola
Thank you .... yep all fine

Thats how it was for us !! the screen was shut but the glass door open ... we were up watching telly ... but obviously didn't hear a thing .... very scary to think that even the fact that you are home doesn't put them off anymore
Old Jun 20th 2006, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

bex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nice

Not everyone feels homesick I've been here a year and haven't missed the UK one iota.

A lot depends on the life you have in the UK, if you're used to having a well paid job high up the ladder and loads of disposable income then you might find it hard having to start from square one again on sometimes rubbish money. Personally I've spent my whole life pretty much without two beans to rub together a lot of the time, and you don't miss what you never had.

If you think you're coming to a better version of the UK then think again - Australia is NOT the UK, it's a country in its own right and has good and bad points, just like anywhere else. It's not utopia, you still have to lock your doors (see the post on the Australia forum about somebody who left a door open then moaned about getting robbed ) but there are so many good things here if you keep an open mind and embrace them.

I would also say if you're the sort of person who cares about labels and has to have a close knit team of friends and family on hand then maybe you should think twice about making the move.

I can't believe how insensitive you are, as I said on the Australian forum, why don't you keep your half witted opinions to yourself. Do you enjoy other peoples misfortune you miserable git .
Old Jun 20th 2006, 12:48 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, Sel.

Nichola
Crikey, I don't think I'll be using the flyscreen doors by themselves anymore. I think you all need to get some dogs though. We have 2 and if they hear anything at all they go bonkers. We do live in the middle of nowhere tho so having our 4 legged alarm bells is very comforting.
Old Jun 20th 2006, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Always21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond repute

Can you lock your screen doors? Here in the US they have locks, although granted we don't have the keys for ours!
Old Jun 20th 2006, 1:33 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Always21
Can you lock your screen doors? Here in the US they have locks, although granted we don't have the keys for ours!
Yeh you could but the screens are made from some kind of nylon tights material and only just keep out mozzies.
Old Jun 20th 2006, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

Whats bloody wrong with YOU?
Since when is it wrong to have a side door open when you at home...dont you think is the other way around and there is something wrong if you get robed..even when you are at home?

Is like saying, that the girl with the short skirt was asking for it.....
Old Jun 20th 2006, 11:02 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Our security door locks - I just don't like to lock it when we're in. It's a wrought iron grille security door, rather than a fly screen door - it's basically bars. I'm more worried about a fire starting when we're in and not being able to find the keys to be able to unlock the door to get out, than I am about being robbed.

Sel - Glad to hear it. What was scary, is that the chap could see me and still let himself in. God only knows what he was on ... I'd not long been back home from being out, so I still had my shoes on (I hit 6'2" in heels); I was very grateful for being tall! I think a combination of my height and my reaction wasn't one that he was expecting and probably helped in his decision to back off. I still called Mr GG afterwards though and demanded he come home immediately.

Originally Posted by Always21

Last edited by Geordie George; Jun 20th 2006 at 11:10 pm.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Our security door locks - I just don't like to lock it when we're in. It's a wrought iron grille security door, rather than a fly screen door - it's basically bars. I'm more worried about a fire starting when we're in and not being able to find the keys to be able to unlock the door to get out, than I am about being robbed.

Sel - Glad to hear it. What was scary, is that the chap could see me and still let himself in. God only knows what he was on ... I'd not long been back home from being out, so I still had my shoes on (I hit 6'2" in heels); I was very grateful for being tall! I think a combination of my height and my reaction wasn't one that he was expecting and probably helped in his decision to back off. I still called Mr GG afterwards though and demanded he come home immediately.
Thank god your okay and he backed off immediately. My SIL has been burgled three times since she moved to Oz (Sydney and Melbourne) She previously lived in London and had never any problems. However I personally think its all down to luck a good thief can pretty much get into any house they want, you just have to hope they dont choose your house.

I agree about not locking the bars, I've seen numerous news stories here where families have died in house fires because the rescuers couldn't get in to rescue them because of the bars at the doors and windows. Very sad.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

Lucifer is a name known to allLucifer is a name known to allLucifer is a name known to allLucifer is a name known to allLucifer is a name known to allLucifer is a name known to allLucifer is a name known to allLucifer is a name known to allLucifer is a name known to allLucifer is a name known to allLucifer is a name known to all

I went from Somerset to Brisbane in May 2005. Had a lot of husband's family problems in Oz (i.e. Father-in-Law getting killed (in Oz) in a car accident 5 hours after we arrived) and sorting that mess out. I am from a huge, close family and it really got to me. Had a couple of jobs in Brisbane CBD, got treated like shit in both. Came back to UK 5 weeks ago and would honestly say that if I never went back to Aus it would be too soon. I hated the place, the biggotry, racism, sexism, no job security, the new IR laws are a joke.
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

by the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Lucifer
I went from Somerset to Brisbane in May 2005. Had a lot of husband's family problems in Oz (i.e. Father-in-Law getting killed (in Oz) in a car accident 5 hours after we arrived) and sorting that mess out. I am from a huge, close family and it really got to me. Had a couple of jobs in Brisbane CBD, got treated like shit in both. Came back to UK 5 weeks ago and would honestly say that if I never went back to Aus it would be too soon. I hated the place, the biggotry, racism, sexism, no job security, the new IR laws are a joke.
Couldn't agree more I am totally fed up of having to pat them on the head to tell them how great they are etc. The weather is the only difference .My 16 year old hates it.(if you don't do sport and like other things watch out).I am staying until he finishes school in 18 months time groan! Good luck back home they do sell the oz dream to the Brits though and we get sucked in! Jennifer by the sea side

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.