Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Another person living in a paralel universe...

Wikiposts

Another person living in a paralel universe...

Old Oct 10th 2008, 1:48 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another person living in a paralel universe...

Ive never owned a BBQ, never been to a BBQ since arriving in Perth either.

Hope to buy one when I can afford it and then I will let you all know if I like it - although Mr PP will do the cooking and I will do the eating.

Ive never had my own garden in all my married life so once again, I shall tell you what its like when I move.

I actually dont give a flying **** about these things although it will be nice to have them, it is who I share my life with that is important and nothing else.

Where I lived in West London was truly awful and I used to dread my days off sometimes and moving was not an option.

Not everyone has the same wants/needs and priorities in life, not everyone is lucky enough to enjoy where they live.

Let us not be so judgemental about that - I like where I live but have sympathy for those that don't.

My priorities are my husband, friends and having a roof over my head - the rest is a bonus and after all these years of not having certain things I am going to selfishly and unashamedly enjoy them.

But things that one person enjoys are not what others would.

Live and let live - BBQs are not the be all and end all and just because the sun might be shining in your life, it might not be in someone elses.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 12:53 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

why oh why do we continue to answer these one post/thread wonders
Old Oct 11th 2008, 3:07 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
why oh why do we continue to answer these one post/thread wonders
Brightens up a long boring Aussie Sunday?
Old Oct 11th 2008, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
What makes the Australian BBQ crap is when the company is crap.

And that the food is crap as well.

And that parallel has two "L"s in it.

Pollyanna - love your work btw.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 12:24 am
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

That reminds me of one of the crappiest things about Australia. I remember how shocked I was when I first heard about it, and I still get quite annoyed by it now whenever I find myself in the situation.

That is when I am invited to a Barbecue at someone elses house, and they expect ME to bring some of the food! In fact, it's almost considered rude if I don't!

Arghhh! I WILL NOT bring the food. It's YOUR Barbecue, don't you understand the concept? Can you imagine a better way to loose friends than that?
Old Oct 12th 2008, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by backagen
That reminds me of one of the crappiest things about Australia. I remember how shocked I was when I first heard about it, and I still get quite annoyed by it now whenever I find myself in the situation.

That is when I am invited to a Barbecue at someone elses house, and they expect ME to bring some of the food! In fact, it's almost considered rude if I don't!

Arghhh! I WILL NOT bring the food. It's YOUR Barbecue, don't you understand the concept? Can you imagine a better way to loose friends than that?
How do you figure out who takes what? Do you have to co-ordinate with the bbq host, or do you just take pot luck? What if they end up with 10 bowls of pasta salad?
Old Oct 12th 2008, 1:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 3 go mad in Adelaide
How do you figure out who takes what? Do you have to co-ordinate with the bbq host, or do you just take pot luck? What if they end up with 10 bowls of pasta salad?
More often than not they make a suggestion about what you should bring so they do get a bit of a balance but, yes, it is feasible that they could end up with 10 bowls of pasta salad!

I'm with you, Backagen, I think it is in incredibly bad taste and I have never asked anyone, ever, to bring a plate!
Old Oct 12th 2008, 1:23 am
BE Enthusiast

3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
More often than not they make a suggestion about what you should bring so they do get a bit of a balance but, yes, it is feasible that they could end up with 10 bowls of pasta salad!
F*** that for a game of soldiers!
Old Oct 12th 2008, 1:26 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll

I'm with you, Backagen, I think it is in incredibly bad taste and I have never asked anyone, ever, to bring a plate!
Ive never been to a bbq in Australia, never owned a BBQ in the UK but when I can afford a nice BBQ, the only thing I will ask people to bring is a bottle.

In the UK my sister used to have BBQs all the time and one guy would come armed with one steak, one bread roll and a tomato and a bottle of screw top wine.

He would always drink everyone elses stuff and go home with his bottle of wine, he would eat everyones food and take his steak home.

One night last year, Mr PP and I poured his bottle of wine down the sink and filled it with water and watched with glee as he took it home. When he wasn't looking I mashed up his mince burger and ripped his bread apart.

He always did it, every BBQ I have been to at my sisters and there have been many, he has always done it - tight bastard.

I wished I had seen him gleefully drinking that bottle of water!
Old Oct 12th 2008, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Ive never been to a bbq in Australia, never owned a BBQ in the UK but when I can afford a nice BBQ, the only thing I will ask people to bring is a bottle.

In the UK my sister used to have BBQs all the time and one guy would come armed with one steak, one bread roll and a tomato and a bottle of screw top wine.

He would always drink everyone elses stuff and go home with his bottle of wine, he would eat everyones food and take his steak home.

One night last year, Mr PP and I poured his bottle of wine down the sink and filled it with water and watched with glee as he took it home. When he wasn't looking I mashed up his mince burger and ripped his bread apart.

He always did it, every BBQ I have been to at my sisters and there have been many, he has always done it - tight bastard.

I wished I had seen him gleefully drinking that bottle of water!
Ooooh PP, you've just reminded me of something!

Years ago (I mean YEARS!) OH and I were on a cheap package holiday in Greece. We were self catering, but the only fridge was a big one on every floor (it was basic ) I used to put bottles of white wine in the fridge every day and every day someone was drinking out of them (how rude ) Anyway, on the last day of our holiday, OH decided to leave a small leaving present - so he 'refilled' in the last half drunk bottle of wine personally and put it back in the fridge! I wonder to this day if they liked it!
Old Oct 12th 2008, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Years ago (I mean YEARS!) OH and I were on a cheap package holiday in Greece. We were self catering, but the only fridge was a big one on every floor (it was basic ) I used to put bottles of white wine in the fridge every day and every day someone was drinking out of them (how rude ) Anyway, on the last day of our holiday, OH decided to leave a small leaving present - so he 'refilled' in the last half drunk bottle of wine personally and put it back in the fridge! I wonder to this day if they liked it!
I bet they said it was "piss poor wine" hee, hee
Old Oct 12th 2008, 3:23 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

I like the pot luck way of eating. I don't think it's rude as long as it's clear that's what's happening.

If someone invites us for dinner, I always ask, "Can I bring anything," because I've learned that's what you do here. Mostly they say no, so we take wine, but if they take me up on it, I don't mind.

What does annoy me is when I'm the host and say no, don't bring anything, and they turn up with something! So I've got their special green beans that don't go with what I'm serving or whatever, and a dish to clean so they can take it home.

Bring me wine if you need to bring something. If it isn't drunk, it can do for later. But that's not particularly a Canadian problem. It's just some people.

When we're back, though, it's going to take me a while to learn not to say, 'Can I bring something." I can imagine the bewildered reply, "Something? Like what?"

And not taking my shoes off as soon as I'm inside the door of a house.

Makes sense in a country inches deep in slush for half the year. Kids learn it as soon as they're toddling.

Bev
Old Oct 13th 2008, 1:56 am

Old Oct 14th 2008, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

Well, following on from my earlier comments about the lack of choice in Australian Supermarkets compared to those in Britain, if you also include this on your list of dislikes about Australia, get ready for some further bad news.

Coles is planning to reduce the range of items it sells by 30%! It has already done this in some 'trial' stores and if the profitability of these stores doesn't suffer too much, it will soon reduce its range in all its stores.

Having worked for what was Coles-Myer, and knowing a fair few people who still do, I always knew Coles was badly managed but this still amazes me!

Who do you think we should expect to hit these shores first then. Tesco or Wal-mart?

See story below for more details.
http://www.insideretailing.com.au/ar...articleId=3828
Old Oct 14th 2008, 8:45 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by backagen
Well, following on from my earlier comments about the lack of choice in Australian Supermarkets compared to those in Britain, if you also include this on your list of dislikes about Australia, get ready for some further bad news.

Coles is planning to reduce the range of items it sells by 30%! It has already done this in some 'trial' stores and if the profitability of these stores doesn't suffer too much, it will soon reduce its range in all its stores.

Having worked for what was Coles-Myer, and knowing a fair few people who still do, I always knew Coles was badly managed but this still amazes me!

Who do you think we should expect to hit these shores first then. Tesco or Wal-mart?

See story below for more details.
http://www.insideretailing.com.au/ar...articleId=3828
Hello Backagen

Can i draw your attention to this thread

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=567209

I have been highly entertained in there this afternoon, but i warn you before posting... do NOT own up to eating ready meals...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.