Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Another person living in a paralel universe...

Another person living in a paralel universe...

Old Oct 9th 2008, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another person living in a paralel universe...

I cannot fathom the venom that some Brits on here have towards Aussies??? I find them, for the most part, to be lovely, down to earth, friendly, helpful people. There are some twits about no doubt, but what country on Earth doesn't have those? The UK has its fair share: ever heard of Chavs? I also do not understand why people complain about bbqs. If you think getting together with friends, old or new, with some good food and some wine/beer is a waste of time, then you need your head read., and you are probably suffering from some anti-social illness. I also don't understand people who say there is so much more to do in the Uk than Australia... then mention pubs and shops. ????????? Gee, I hope there is more to life than that. Another delusion I see on here is that the British education system is sooo much better than in OZ, yet Australia consistantly out performs the UK on education tables. I have lived in both countries, and my life and those of my friends in the UK was not that 'amazing' - we worked, paid bills, went to the pub, had people over for dinner, occasionally went overseas etc. Just what we do here, only in nicer weather. There is also this "There is so much choice in the Uk" Choice in what? Be specific please, because I am starting to believe this clap trap, and assume when I got to the supermarket, I will have no 'choice' only to find aisles and aisles of choice. You are starting to make me feel slightly paranoid that I am living in a different "Australia' than everyone else.

Now, I love the UK, it has a lot going for it, but Australia is incomparable in terms of lifestyle. If it doesnt work out for you: why do you have to bag it? Especially when MOST of the complaints about Oz could equally apply to the UK.

Discuss.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 7:28 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another person living in a paralel universe...

....and why is this on the MBTTUK forum?

It is simply your own biased opinion about Australia
Old Oct 9th 2008, 7:50 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

maybe it's in this forum because there are so many other threads on here at the moment where people are discussing their general dissatisfaction with life in Australia. I think the Op just wanted to put another side to the story.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Troll, either that or you never read the Godzone forum where UK bashing is a pre-requisite to posting.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 8:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

So glad you like it - I take it you havent been here very long?

You may want to check what it is that people dont like about Australia - if you read them closely you will find that it isnt all about supermarkets and bbqs. There are a couple of ripper lists on these threads right now.

I am surprised that you would need to venture down to this parallel universe if you are so happy living in paradise.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 8:23 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Don't let it bother you, as no matter what you say or think, it won't make a difference to what others think...that's life
Old Oct 10th 2008, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussietobe
There is also this "There is so much choice in the Uk" Choice in what? Be specific please, because I am starting to believe this clap trap, and assume when I got to the supermarket, I will have no 'choice' only to find aisles and aisles of choice.

I agree with most of your post but I have to defend the people who say there's more choice in UK supermarkets because there just is!

Have you been in an Asda/Walmart or Tesco Extra store in recent years?

Typically they're anything from 8-12 times the size of your typical Australian Coles or Woolworths and many of the Asda/Walmarts are now on 2 levels too.

There is MUCH MUCH more choice in a UK supermarket than here, which of course is understandable because there's a lot more people there and therefore a lot more demand for products which makes it viable for them to offer a wider choice.

I would say for most purposes the choices offered in Australian supermarkets are adequate, but they certainly don't come anywhere near competing with UK supermarkets.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
....and why is this on the MBTTUK forum?

It is simply your own biased opinion about Australia
In the same way a lot of opinions on this site from UK people is biased - or as the OP suggested - venomous..

At the end of the day, there is some blur in the subject matter - it is not the OPs fault that there is carte blanche allowed on one subforum but not seemingly on another.

Many people reading most of the forums on this site would eventually feel compelled to post if they wanted to.

Maybe their should be a MTBUK forum - just for Little Englanders(!) Traditionally some of the insularity of Brits on this forum is not much better than the one they accuse Australians of being. There have always been double standards..
Old Oct 10th 2008, 10:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
So glad you like it - I take it you havent been here very long?

You may want to check what it is that people dont like about Australia - if you read them closely you will find that it isnt all about supermarkets and bbqs. There are a couple of ripper lists on these threads right now.

I am surprised that you would need to venture down to this parallel universe if you are so happy living in paradise.
The way I see it Quoll, internet forums tend to attract a bit of cross posting and visits...it's the nature of the beast where information is easily found and easy to share. I tend to look at this forum once a month - and often towards the end of a BE session - when a topic catches my eye...
Old Oct 10th 2008, 10:57 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
In the same way a lot of opinions on this site from UK people is biased - or as the OP suggested - venomous..

At the end of the day, there is some blur in the subject matter - it is not the OPs fault that there is carte blanche allowed on one subforum but not seemingly on another.

Many people reading most of the forums on this site would eventually feel compelled to post if they wanted to.

Maybe their should be a MTBUK forum - just for Little Englanders(!) Traditionally some of the insularity of Brits on this forum is not much better than the one they accuse Australians of being. There have always been double standards..
Well i'm sure the Scots, Welsh and Irish who regularly post on this section would have something to say about being labelled little Englanders.

I dont like Australia, and I have the right to say so if i want to. I also have the right to voice my experiences and thoughts. If Aussietobe wants to call it clap trap that up to them, but it is no more clap trap than some of the bulldust spouted in the barbie and Australia forum. In fact, I would go as far to say, there is far less bulldust in here than on there!! But once again that my opinion

Those of us who are big enough to admit we are not happy where we are will always make those who are not big enough to own up feel very uncomfortable, and a lot of the time that is why these people feel the need to pour scorn and ridicule us. Why else would you feel the need to do it?
If i were happy where i was i really wouldnt be interested in coming in here to wind people up.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Well said Flea

We all have our own opinions, and should be allowed to voice them, without being called names...............Little Englander indeed

Wee Scotlander if you don't mind, hee, hee:

Last edited by Marmalade; Oct 10th 2008 at 11:14 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 11:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=BadgeIsBack;6864367]

Maybe their should be a MTBUK forum - just for Little Englanders(!) Traditionally some of the insularity of Brits on this forum is not much better than the one they accuse Australians of being.

Ooooh I see we've integrated then Sheila/Bruce. Ya drongo.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 12:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Well i'm sure the Scots, Welsh and Irish who regularly post on this section would have something to say about being labelled little Englanders.
It's an expression Flea! In the name of debate I will take this one back.

If Aussietobe wants to call it clap trap that up to them, but it is no more clap trap than some of the bulldust spouted in the barbie and Australia forum.
I have NO problem with your comments on claptrap and agree with your comment that Aussietobe has a right to talk it, refer to it..I think none is any worse than the other - if it is worse on the Australian forum, it is because it is being spouted before the adventure starts, not after..(!)

I dont like Australia, and I have the right to say so if i want to. I also have the right to voice my experiences and thoughts.
Indeed. My point was not about whether people like something or not but if they were entitled to SAY whether they liked it or not.

If you are entitled to your opinion about any claptrap then surely an original poster is entitled to ask a question about something without being called a troll (by others, not you). Remember to the outsider a whole slew of openly negative posts just begs a response! I would suggest it's quite an eye-opener.

Remember most of the negative posts - say those with negative titles - are posted on both MTBUK and on the Australian forum. Some of the open trolls on the Australian forum go on to achieve cult status with the same on this forum. Yet a reasoned, rational post from a new poster is not given the time of day.

I do appreciate that this forum has always been seen as a safe haven or more regulated area of the site - but then where is the corresponding site for intelligent-enlightened happy migrants intending on staying in Australia. (Ridiculous of course..and believe me I'm sure you will agree - it is a minority!)

Those of us who are big enough to admit we are not happy where we are will always make those who are not big enough to own up feel very uncomfortable, and a lot of the time that is why these people feel the need to pour scorn and ridicule us.
Can you really be sure of that? Surely it's plain that people can post with a different viewpoint? Isn't that the way it works? By definition...? I think it is more the case that people stick to their guns - opinions which is a good thing. It runs hot sometimes.

I've always been mindful of this - that there is an underlying current of embarassment of having made a mistake with Australia, amongst other things and have tried to tread accordingly.

Why else would you feel the need to do it?
If i were happy where i was i really wouldnt be interested in coming in here to wind people up.
Again, I think very few people come in to wind people up - they see what they see as an absurdity, double standard, loss of fair speech etc, or a generalisation about a country when they have experienced the opposite. EDIT - there have been exceptions but most just want to ask questions or have an opinion that runs against the grain.

Surely this is why people feel the need to post...I think Internet forums have always been about debate ultimately - creating a debate when in other circumstances people might not bother. As Hutch has said, people have been using them for years. And as for me, any thread with 'parrallel [is that how you spell it] universe' gets my notice..

cheers

B

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Oct 11th 2008 at 12:12 am.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 1:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I dont like Australia, and I have the right to say so if i want to. I also have the right to voice my experiences and thoughts. If Aussietobe wants to call it clap trap that up to them, but it is no more clap trap than some of the bulldust spouted in the barbie and Australia forum. In fact, I would go as far to say, there is far less bulldust in here than on there!! But once again that my opinion

Those of us who are big enough to admit we are not happy where we are will always make those who are not big enough to own up feel very uncomfortable, and a lot of the time that is why these people feel the need to pour scorn and ridicule us. Why else would you feel the need to do it?
Flea, as always, spot on. The OP was a wind up - even quite offensive in its way - dont like bbqs must have a social impairment indeed. Bollocks!
Old Oct 11th 2008, 1:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by quoll
dont like bbqs must have a social impairment indeed. Bollocks!

There are plenty of ways of having people over than have a BBQ.

What makes the Australian BBQ crap is when the company is crap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.