Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

What's happening in Bahrain lately?`

What's happening in Bahrain lately?`

Old Dec 7th 2011, 1:16 am
BE Enthusiast

alfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What's happening in Bahrain lately?`

Originally Posted by Paracletus
Watched a documentary following one of the Saudi princes around not so long ago. There seems to be some, if not fully committed, initiative to join the 17th century at least.

But I guess Saudi can always rely on oil and pilgrims to keep export and 'tourism' figures relatively stable..
which documentary was that?
Old Dec 7th 2011, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alfrombarking
There's one with Prince Talal Altaweel richest arab bloke. He surrounds himslef with beautiful women staff. His other half is a honey.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by alfrombarking
Inside The Saudi Kingdom

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...72962952239008
Old Dec 7th 2011, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

markinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nice

I am not sure if anyone else is seeing or heard whats going on, but from my BFH office window, can clearly see right now, untold riot police using tear gas in heavy amounts to stop what looks like thousands of protesters trying to get to
Pearl Roundabout ( junction ) the protesters seem to be coming from all directions.
Also anyone heard the rumours that an explosive device has gone off at Bahrain Airport ? Is it true ?

The police have now closed the highway going into Manama, as protesters are in the road making their way towards Pearl with more police waiting for them, and can hear sound bombs going off it looks pretty chaotic down their now.....and simply massive amounts of tear gas.

Last edited by markinbahrain; Dec 7th 2011 at 1:38 pm. Reason: Update, closed highway now
Old Dec 7th 2011, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

non_Brit is an unknown quantity at this point

hi, would companies in bahrain assist you with selling your old house? normally, what do they offer as relocation services/expenses? all tips much appreciated, cheers!
Old Dec 7th 2011, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by non_Brit
hi, would companies in bahrain assist you with selling your old house? normally, what do they offer as relocation services/expenses? all tips much appreciated, cheers!
3 weeks in a serviced apartment, 15000 usd shipping expenses or one container whichever is less, thats about it generally

Have you read the post above yours before you sign on the dotted line lol

Its going off in Jidd haffs as well. My mrs and wee one are in the International this evening and its all fun and games there but nothing as dramatic as what is going in BFH

Its going to be an interesting Friday. We havent had a gas cylinder bomb for a few weeks now so reckon they are stockpiling for Friday hey
Old Dec 7th 2011, 5:40 pm
Some say, he adores KSA

iamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud of

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/bahrain-say...175626603.html

"Bahrain's interior ministry said on Wednesday it had destroyed a package containing explosives sent to the country's airport from Britain via Dubai. The ministry said it was investigating the incident."
Old Dec 7th 2011, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

thank you.
actually yes, i try to read everything and every day. i just hope that the situation gets better in the next couple of months or so.
i've read today that 335 people born to bahraini mothers and foreign fathers were granted citizenship. this is a postive step towards women's rights.
perhaps the excitement from moving to another country is clouding my mind.
am i really being too much off the charts?
Old Dec 7th 2011, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by markinbahrain
I am not sure if anyone else is seeing or heard whats going on, but from my BFH office window, can clearly see right now, untold riot police using tear gas in heavy amounts to stop what looks like thousands of protesters trying to get to
Pearl Roundabout ( junction ) the protesters seem to be coming from all directions.
Also anyone heard the rumours that an explosive device has gone off at Bahrain Airport ? Is it true ?

The police have now closed the highway going into Manama, as protesters are in the road making their way towards Pearl with more police waiting for them, and can hear sound bombs going off it looks pretty chaotic down their now.....and simply massive amounts of tear gas.
oups, i've missed reading this one.
Old Dec 8th 2011, 2:28 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

thank you.
actually yes, i try to read everything and every day. i just hope that the situation gets better in the next couple of months or so.
i've read today that 335 people born to bahraini mothers and foreign fathers were granted citizenship. this is a postive step towards women's rights.
perhaps the excitement from moving to another country is clouding my mind.
am i really being too much off the charts?
Gets better.
N
Little to no chance, given the Iran situation and the monarchies precarious position Bahrain is likely to get a lot worse before it gets any better. The Arab spring has inspired those with a genuine cause and scared the shit out of those in power, not a good combination. On top of that you have the extremists who are more than happy to hide behind the Arab spring whilst they cause mayhem
Old Dec 8th 2011, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of marches planned for this evening so could be fun
Old Dec 8th 2011, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by shiva
Gets better.
N
Little to no chance, given the Iran situation and the monarchies precarious position Bahrain is likely to get a lot worse before it gets any better. The Arab spring has inspired those with a genuine cause and scared the shit out of those in power, not a good combination. On top of that you have the extremists who are more than happy to hide behind the Arab spring whilst they cause mayhem
with all due respect (i am a huge fan of this site and check for updates often) i can't find any other information describing the situation as that bad.

yesterday only 500 to 1000 people were reported to have participated in the protest. today the number was changed to 500 to 700.

http://twentyfoursevennews.com/gcc/h...als-in-manama/ was the source.

on the photo published on http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/po...ory_in_bahrain i see a father with his infant child in his arms ...

Old Dec 8th 2011, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

with all due respect (i am a huge fan of this site and check for updates often) i can't find any other information describing the situation as that bad.

yesterday only 500 to 1000 people were reported to have participated in the protest. today the number was changed to 500 to 700.

on the photo published on http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/po...ory_in_bahrain i see a father with his infant child in his arms ...

Gotta love the expression "with all due respect...."

As an aside, the bloke with the baby in his arms is bang out of order as he knows full well the chances of a protest like that being broken up with teargas or worse are somewhere between guaranteed and extremely likely. Great parenting skills....

Last edited by Ronnie Biggs; Dec 8th 2011 at 2:06 pm. Reason: Reconsidered
Old Dec 8th 2011, 2:12 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

With all due respect open your eyes.

Two poster on this thread were originally dismissive of the situation one is now actively looking to get out the other considering it.
A mini revolution was put down with total brutality (and yes there was brutality on all sides) nothing has changed to alleviate the tension however with the Iran situation there are plenty of forces pushing it to get worse. A bomb was detonated outside the British embassy either by the Shia, the Iranians, the Sunnis or the government whoever did it it is not a good sign. There is a huge element of the population with a genuine grievance a large element that's pro Iranian and a smallish minority dictatorship.
Exactl what part of tinder keg would you like explained?
Old Dec 8th 2011, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by shiva
With all due respect open your eyes.

Two poster on this thread were originally dismissive of the situation one is now actively looking to get out the other considering it.
A mini revolution was put down with total brutality (and yes there was brutality on all sides) nothing has changed to alleviate the tension however with the Iran situation there are plenty of forces pushing it to get worse. A bomb was detonated outside the British embassy either by the Shia, the Iranians, the Sunnis or the government whoever did it it is not a good sign. There is a huge element of the population with a genuine grievance a large element that's pro Iranian and a smallish minority dictatorship.
Exactl what part of tinder keg would you like explained?
why aren't people leaving the country then?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.