Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

What's happening in Bahrain lately?`

What's happening in Bahrain lately?`

Old Nov 4th 2011, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

Work Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really nice
Default What's happening in Bahrain lately?`

i can't help but notice things seem to have gone very quiet on the board regarding the situation in Bahrain.

Ronnie, Tock, what's going on? I've been reading your posts most avidly for the past year to get some localised info about the place.

Has it got all too scary? Or, are things getting back to "semi-normal" and you just keeping it to yourself?
Old Nov 4th 2011, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's happening in Bahrain lately?`

Its because we are all bored with the same sh*t every day here and I guess the rest of the ME readers are as well

This week we have mainly be having oil on the road. For some reason I wanted to say that in the manner of that guy on the "Fast show",

Very good tactic of hoofing oil and diesel on the highways so they become like skid pans. Police then close the road to clear up the crap. Big traffic jams. All the protesters happy

On the plus side today, Friday, has been the quietest for ages

Nearly all the islands police 4x4s are full of dents or covered in paint. The villages are full of idiots to some degree or another most nights

All in Juffair or Amwaj dont believe any of this

Move there and live in blissful ignorance
Old Nov 4th 2011, 4:29 pm
need a new teeshirt

heartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the rough

As Tock say's its a bit of a joke. Every weekend they try to block traffic and make everyone miserable..Its working.. somewhat..Every Shia Village is active with protests and it does pour out to the main roads at times..Helicopters..clinking of tear gas cans..gas in your eyes.. and small explosions all part of expat package right now..
Old Nov 4th 2011, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

I think if you've been here for a while and it's happened around you (so you know where to go and what to avoid) it's still manageable. People get on with their lives, often with this weird background of explosions and teargas after 6pm. "Well, they're not pissed off with us" and "we'll just have to see what happens" are the current conversational equivalents of embarrassingly stroking the dog to avoid a proper conversation with an old lush at a party (there's plenty of them here.) Meaningless, often repeated statements rule. Last night we were woken up by some louder than usual explosions, this week there was oil on the road....everyone wonders what will happen but at the same time, everyone pretty much carries on as usual. This will continue ad finitum unless things go up a notch either via an act of extremism (from either side by the way, this isn't one way traffic) or if external forces stick their noses in and use it as an excuse to settle regional differences. I can't see the latter happening at the moment and we're all holding our breath about the former. Bahrain has lots going for it in my opinion and the people haven't changed overnight - give me a pissed off Bahraini over your average Emirati, every day of the week....
Old Nov 4th 2011, 8:16 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

I met up some people from Bahrain this evening and they were telling me about the oil and diesel on the roads, the increased use of teargas (if that is even possible) and they even said that some protestors had strung a metal chain across one of the highways earlier this week..

From what I hear it sounds like the protestors are now mainly young men (with very little to lose), but also they have no clear agenda for what they want. Yes you could give them money which would probably shut them up for a while, but only until they are skint again and suddenly remember that last time they made a nuisance of themselves they got paid. Vicious circle and all that!

How will it end? Who knows? Bahrain was (and still is for a large part) a nice place to live, but the future of the country is anything but bright. Remember that all it takes is one western casualty (accidental or intentional) and the whole thing will fall apart very quickly. Once a few major companies start pulling out there will be a chain reaction which will not end well..
Old Nov 6th 2011, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Come on Mark, why did you delete your post ? Was it full of Bahrain is sh*t comments lol

For those who are interested, we took a drive out to Seef mall to take the wee men on the train. We came back through Buddaiya and noted the following:
Some of the disloyal had been hoofing oil and branches on the Bud highway
Some of the disloyal had been burning tyres on the road from the Saar arch to the Dilly
Some of the disloyal had been very active on the road from the Dilly up to the green zone and had covered numerous walls in graffiti, had set up a road block and generally been throwing rocks etc
Exceptionally quiet in seef mall today.

If we have another set of serious riots then its going to shopping time in Seef mall. they reduced their prices dramatically after the last riots. Sony Shop only got E series laptops in at the moment as have decided on that range

Not many Saudis here at the moment judging by the lack of cars

No helicopters today though.

Important things, still not decided on an arcam or Zepplin.

Very pleased with the Bose companion 3 in case anyone wants to up the quality of playing tunes on their PC

So basically business as usual besides the disloyals best attempts
Old Nov 6th 2011, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
Important things, still not decided on an arcam or Zepplin.

I love our Zeppelin
Old Nov 6th 2011, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

markinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nice

[QUOTE=Tockalosh;9717484]Come on Mark, why did you delete your post ? Was it full of Bahrain is sh*t comments lol

Well it is sh*t !!! and I didn't want to neg out workwidow

Just on Friday their was hundreds if not thousands of protesters who marched towards Manama's center after the funeral of a key opposition figure's father who allegedly died after he was beaten by police. The health Ministry say he died of a heart attack!
"Security forces fired tear gas and rubber bullets, and used police cars to try to run over protesters who marched towards Pearl Square, you can see all this on Youtube!! You can see the police clearly trying to run the protesters over, and yet only a few months ago they gave out the death penalty to protesters whom did run over a policeman !!

Is this normal, no, but as you rightly said, it has all become boring and as heartofdarkness says it is within the villages, but IMHO Bahrain is boring for the younger generation, therefore the youngsters out here NOW have something to do in the evenings / weekends.....its as though they look forward to it, it gives them something to do.

Then last Wednesday a yank told me that the US are beefing up in the naval base due to issues between Israel- Iran! Lovely, that is all we bloody need !!

Would I come out here....would I bollocks, especially not Juffair with the US 5th Naval Fleet based here!
Their is serious issues out here in my opinion that are not going to go away!!

Their thanks Tock

Last edited by markinbahrain; Nov 6th 2011 at 4:40 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
I love our Zeppelin
They are bloody gorgeous and were the rulers of the quality stakes but this arcam keeps getting the best reviews

As I am half deaf there is no way I am buying without a comparison close together

Arcam does look a bit naff
Old Nov 6th 2011, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hey good to hear you still alive and kicking Mark

Are you sure they were trying to run over disloyals or were they merely herding them to a safe location ?

Lol, its mad here hey
Old Nov 7th 2011, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

Work Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really nice

Thanks for the replies. I was beginning to wonder about you too Mark. Bahrain discussion wouldn't be the same without your input.

Goodness, all this fuss (riots, tear gas etc) because we were planning to relocate to Bahrain! Me thinks, I should reconsider.

I had a family connection out there for about 4 years back in 2004 to 2008 and she was encouraging us to move over but hubby didn't have the work then. Now he has the work but........

Perhaps we should come for a visit and decide for ourselves, where would you recommend for short duration stay (about a month) for a family of 5? Kids are older 13 to 16 so resort or apartment style accommodation. Are there some really good deals to be had?
Old Nov 7th 2011, 2:01 pm
need a new teeshirt

heartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Work Widow
Thanks for the replies. I was beginning to wonder about you too Mark. Bahrain discussion wouldn't be the same without your input.

Goodness, all this fuss (riots, tear gas etc) because we were planning to relocate to Bahrain! Me thinks, I should reconsider.

I had a family connection out there for about 4 years back in 2004 to 2008 and she was encouraging us to move over but hubby didn't have the work then. Now he has the work but........

Perhaps we should come for a visit and decide for ourselves, where would you recommend for short duration stay (about a month) for a family of 5? Kids are older 13 to 16 so resort or apartment style accommodation. Are there some really good deals to be had?
Please don't even consider it if you have kids that age. I have a 16 and 17 year old. I worry every every weekend that they don't end up at the wrong place at the wrong time. My 16 year son old has already come face to face with guys in masks with shotguns. They where "friendlies" and looking out for his safety..but what if there were problems in the area at the time?
Old Nov 7th 2011, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Work Widow, coming out for a look see is not a bad idea

I was in Amwaj this morning and it couldnt have been more peaceful

I was at a bbq this afternoon near Al Quarrayah/Saar and we were listening to rubber bullets being fired not a million miles away whilst we cracked open some more beers. We dont even comment on it unless its a very big bang close by that rattles the windows

Upon leaving, we set the suspension on the Rangey to + 50 mm to give us the extra height in case we need to run over anything left to block the road by the disloyal and didnt need it this evening so a waste of compressed air

All perfectly normal stuff at this end of Bahrain

If you can live with the above then come on over. Its still a great place to live

Plenty of sexually transmitted diseases on the island so make sure the boys have a refresher briefing on the joys of nookie
Old Nov 7th 2011, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

DesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=markinbahrain;9717663]
Originally Posted by Tockalosh
Come on Mark, why did you delete your post ? Was it full of Bahrain is sh*t comments lol

Well it is sh*t !!! and I didn't want to neg out workwidow

Just on Friday their was hundreds if not thousands of protesters who marched towards Manama's center after the funeral of a key opposition figure's father who allegedly died after he was beaten by police. The health Ministry say he died of a heart attack!
"Security forces fired tear gas and rubber bullets, and used police cars to try to run over protesters who marched towards Pearl Square, you can see all this on Youtube!! You can see the police clearly trying to run the protesters over, and yet only a few months ago they gave out the death penalty to protesters whom did run over a policeman !!

Is this normal, no, but as you rightly said, it has all become boring and as heartofdarkness says it is within the villages, but IMHO Bahrain is boring for the younger generation, therefore the youngsters out here NOW have something to do in the evenings / weekends.....its as though they look forward to it, it gives them something to do.

Then last Wednesday a yank told me that the US are beefing up in the naval base due to issues between Israel- Iran! Lovely, that is all we bloody need !!

Would I come out here....would I bollocks, especially not Juffair with the US 5th Naval Fleet based here!
Their is serious issues out here in my opinion that are not going to go away!!

Their thanks Tock
I think you're right, could get very very ugly along the gulf states. An escape plan might not be such a bad idea.

Leaks out of the US and UK are coming thick and fast about an attack on Iran

http://arabnews.com/opinion/columns/article530733.ece
Old Nov 7th 2011, 8:44 pm
need a new teeshirt

Plenty of sexually transmitted diseases on the island so make sure the boys have a refresher briefing on the joys of nookie[/QUOTE]

Lets not forget the the liquor stores from the boots of drivers cars and the drug problem..Think carefully

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.