Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Parsons - How different are they to Neom?

Parsons - How different are they to Neom?

Old Jun 17th 2023, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

Ilovegregggs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Parsons - How different are they to Neom?

Originally Posted by Slilah

This is very helpful and insightful! Do you see yourself living in ME for a long time or are you ready to come home? May I ask if you any family, if so how do you balance that?
I'm sticking to the two bucket theory. One for bullshit, one for money. When one is full, I'll leave. That time isn't yet. Professionally, I don't see being out of a job here for some time. My project isn't aimed to be completed before 2040, but there is already expansion plans in place, so it'll be going on way beyond my retirement. Working in KSA is something else, even colleagues with plenty of time in the ME under their belts struggle with competence levels of some of our colleagues.

I do have family back in the UK, but with me coming home every two months and all of us going on holiday twice a year seems to be working ok for us. It's tough obviously, but I'm not the only one doing this. Lost one colleague because he wanted to be closer to his daughter.

It's not a place to get greedy, when you have reached your goal it's probably time to leave. This is also probably one of the more rough gigs in the middle east, but more and more are coming over from neighbouring states. The infrastructure isn't quite there yet to support those wishing to live more western lifestyles. Prices are increasing in part because the influx of highly paid expats. But as far as I know, probably the best paid roles going for the built environment anywhere at the moment.

Last edited by Ilovegregggs; Jun 17th 2023 at 1:16 am.
Old Jun 17th 2023, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Sam1980 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ilovegregggs
I have several Aussie colleagues.

Just be warned, getting to Australia from Saudi is a little pricey I hear. One Aussie told me he spends about 100k sar a year on flights..that is 4/5 return flights a year..I suspect he often upgrades and flies Emirates/Qatar airways. Something to consider if you're not based in a city with regular direct flights to Doha or Dubai. Total travel time is also quite significant, as connections are quite poorly timed.
Thanks Ilovegregggs. I'm sure there must be Aussies working there but what I meant is I didnt hear back from Parsons since April when they mentioned they'll be interviewing for jobs in Saudi in June.

100K is really a lot for economy class, I'd say half of this figure but could be probably true if you fly business 2/3 times. I assume a return ticket from Riyadh to Sydney would be around around 9-10K SAR.
Old Jun 17th 2023, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sam1980
100K is really a lot for economy class, I'd say half of this figure but could be probably true if you fly business 2/3 times. I assume a return ticket from Riyadh to Sydney would be around around 9-10K SAR.
I See..he flies to Brisbane, shortest possible route. Anywhere between 20-25k return even in economy at times. There's a bit of supply and demand issue.
Old Jun 17th 2023, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

Zak90 is an unknown quantity at this point

I See..he flies to Brisbane, shortest possible route. Anywhere between 20-25k return even in economy at times. There's a bit of supply and demand issue.
Wow. That seems like a lot. That's like 5k GBP for return. Must be out in the middle of nowhere.
Old Jul 5th 2023, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

wendall2005 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Slilah
Ah ok, maybe you are right, I was interviewing for a senior manager. When they first called me, they asked my current salary which is around 110K. So I am definitely not moving abroad for less than 150-170K total package, so your friend isnt on the wrong path

Also did they ask your preference on which projects? I declined NEOM stuff cause you need to live on that compound. Have you applied to NEOM directly?

Your post is the only thing I was able to find on Parsons, and glassdoor isn’t helpful cause its majority USA based.

let me know how you crack on - which field are you in? I am in Project Control/Cost management
What %increase over what pay (gross, net, without expenses) are you looking at? Are you in the West, cause if in North America or Britain, it gets complicated cause of our tax system, mortgage payments, free medical and free education (paid for by taxes). For eg., I am looking at an offer in Middle East but it makes no sense. It is 35% of my current gross pay in the US. However, after taxes, it is still only 70% of my net pay. But then when I take into consideration the housing allowance (which they provide) and take that out of my mortgae here in the US, it goes up to 80% of my net income in US. Which I think is still unacceptable. But then when I talk to my other friends living in the Middle East, they say for 80% of my net pay I have in US, I will still be living much higher standards of living than in US. Basicallly living like a king. So its really confusing to do simple math based on what we currently make in the West. So what I am hearing is even if I get paid 80% of my net pay (after taxes and after mortgage) or 40% of my gross pay here in the US, I will still be living a better life style in a huge house, with live in house maid or nanny, with swimming pools in the complexes, beaches next to me, awesome food etc. So a $ to $ comparison does not make much sense. It is supposed to be a full package "LIFE STYLE" comparison. Just my two cents.
Old Jul 7th 2023, 12:31 am
Just Joined

Daveoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone in this thread interviewed for the Yanbu project? Would be interested to hear how the interview went and what kind of information they disclosed about the project, salary, living conditions, etc.

Given that Parsons seems to have a large number of megaprojects in the region, has anyone moved between projects while employed there?
Old Jul 7th 2023, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Daveoz
Has anyone in this thread interviewed for the Yanbu project? Would be interested to hear how the interview went and what kind of information they disclosed about the project, salary, living conditions, etc.

Given that Parsons seems to have a large number of megaprojects in the region, has anyone moved between projects while employed there?
Hey Daveoz,

Did you interview at Parsons? Did you apply through the general email that they are coming to Aussie or you applied for a specific job? Cheers
Old Jul 7th 2023, 1:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sam1980
Hey Daveoz,

Did you interview at Parsons? Did you apply through the general email that they are coming to Aussie or you applied for a specific job? Cheers

I have an interview coming up with someone at Parsons for a role that I applied for online. It was a specific role. I have seen they are doing a bit of a job fair in some countries but I had not heard about that.
Old Jul 7th 2023, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

I have an interview coming up with someone at Parsons for a role that I applied for online. It was a specific role. I have seen they are doing a bit of a job fair in some countries but I had not heard about that.
Oh ok mate. I received an email back in April that Parsons will come to Australia in June for roles in Saudi but nothing after that, we're in July now haha.
All the best!
Old Jul 7th 2023, 2:13 am
Just Joined

Were you able to send a follow up email and get more details?
There are plenty of roles being advertised by them online. I applied through a role advertised on LinkedIn only last week and they sent an email this week to set up an interview so they were pretty quick in getting back to me so it probably depends on the urgency of the role and what project it is.
Old Jul 7th 2023, 2:16 am
Forum Regular

Were you able to send a follow up email and get more details?
There are plenty of roles being advertised by them online. I applied through a role advertised on LinkedIn only last week and they sent an email this week to set up an interview so they were pretty quick in getting back to me so it probably depends on the urgency of the role and what project it is.
Nah I did not follow up as it was generic. I did apply for some roles few months ago but no response. Also doesnt look they have much roles related to my experience.

Last edited by Sam1980; Jul 7th 2023 at 2:18 am.
Old Jul 9th 2023, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

Several people on my project have come from Yanbu. Some have moved out to others, i.e Neom, etc

Parsons offer accomodation in yanbu in a place called "the cove". Looks decent, secure compound with some facilities. From what i've heard, people were happy with it. Yanbu is fairly well developed now, so off-site accommodation is also possible.
Old Jul 9th 2023, 11:45 am
Just Joined

Several people on my project have come from Yanbu. Some have moved out to others, i.e Neom, etc

Parsons offer accomodation in yanbu in a place called "the cove". Looks decent, secure compound with some facilities. From what i've heard, people were happy with it. Yanbu is fairly well developed now, so off-site accommodation is also possible.
Thanks Ilovegregggs. I had the interview today and they told me if I'm successful in the next round and end up mobilising then I'd be living at The Cove.

Do you know much about the visa system for spouses? They said that my visa will be issued first and then after 90 days my family can be brought over. I was wondering if my wife would be able to travel in that 3 months, or if she will need to remain at home in order to do all the visa processing, sending the passport to embassies etc, or if all of that stuff can be done remotely these days?
Old Jul 9th 2023, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Ilovegregggs. I had the interview today and they told me if I'm successful in the next round and end up mobilising then I'd be living at The Cove.

Do you know much about the visa system for spouses? They said that my visa will be issued first and then after 90 days my family can be brought over. I was wondering if my wife would be able to travel in that 3 months, or if she will need to remain at home in order to do all the visa processing, sending the passport to embassies etc, or if all of that stuff can be done remotely these days?
They'll bring you over on a business visa initially I take it, and your iqama will be processed once you are here. This can take on a number of eventual results, it's all a bit of a mystery. The people who processed my visa even claimed they had no clue what the Saudi embassy would do from day to day, so he always had a long list of probing questions to resolve delays.

I've never brough my spouse here, so not able to provide much guidance..but she'll be a dependant on your iqama, which probably explains what needs to happen first. I would imagine she could come on a tourist visa, but not sure how this would impact on the processing of it. Are you working with an agent to deal with your visa application? Might be worth reaching out to them for some guidance.
Old Jul 9th 2023, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

They'll bring you over on a business visa initially I take it, and your iqama will be processed once you are here. This can take on a number of eventual results, it's all a bit of a mystery. The people who processed my visa even claimed they had no clue what the Saudi embassy would do from day to day, so he always had a long list of probing questions to resolve delays.

I've never brough my spouse here, so not able to provide much guidance..but she'll be a dependant on your iqama, which probably explains what needs to happen first. I would imagine she could come on a tourist visa, but not sure how this would impact on the processing of it. Are you working with an agent to deal with your visa application? Might be worth reaching out to them for some guidance.
Thanks again. Yeah, I am not sure about an agent. I still don't have an offer yet, I am just trying to plan ahead for when/if it happens but was thinking to bring my wife on a tourist visa first like you said, but not sure about the logistics of it all. Sounds like it's complicated and quite opaque.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.