Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Missing in Dubai - timmy maccoll, sailor

Missing in Dubai - timmy maccoll, sailor

Old Aug 6th 2012, 10:16 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Missing in Dubai - timmy maccoll, sailor

so i ducked out of here some time ago, see nothings changed then, must dash got some candles to swath in ribbon and light
Old Aug 6th 2012, 10:16 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fluffymoo
These are some of the reasons but the main one is, she didn't want to spoil the enjoyment of the other families. She is a very caring, selfless and brave young lady.
And that was what I was thinking too - not being funny but how hard would it be seeing her there when you have your hubby safely home. Hard all round I think.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

fluffymoo has much to be proud offluffymoo has much to be proud offluffymoo has much to be proud offluffymoo has much to be proud offluffymoo has much to be proud offluffymoo has much to be proud offluffymoo has much to be proud offluffymoo has much to be proud offluffymoo has much to be proud offluffymoo has much to be proud offluffymoo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by shiva
so i ducked out of here some time ago, see nothings changed then, must dash got some candles to swath in ribbon and light
Putting it politely "Go then....and DO NOT COME BACK!!!!
I hope your family never has to go through a turmoil like this
Old Aug 7th 2012, 10:22 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
I think it would depend on when she was asked to go aboard -
Ah ! I get you.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 10:34 am
Just Joined

dali72 is an unknown quantity at this point

i get it and i dont....
ok you dont want to spoil other peoples homecoming but hellloooooooo one of their mates is among the missing!! **** the happy homecoming!!!!
id be wanting to show the other shipmates that i didnt blame them (even if i wanted to) and that i was glad to see them back safe....and to bring as much publicity to the scene as i could.....no one has yet to answer why they dont want it all over the papers.
yes RN have their protocol but jeez a few months in and not so much as a tweet...

so what happens next....they watch the ship come in, few pieces in the news and he is a statistic...
Old Aug 7th 2012, 11:13 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hey, hey fluffymoo. The thing with an open expat forum , like this one, is that you can just never know what someone else is going through or has gone through in their lives. Most all of us have probably had loss & some sort of emotional turmoil in our lives.

Also, people are free to express their opinions , within the BE rules, regardless of the subject matter. This thread is open to all, so there is bound to be some counter posts along the way.

Not having a pop at you at all. It is clearly a terrible time for you and yours, it's just you are a newbie to this malarky in a way. Some of us tired old forum lags are well used to the ebbs and flows of a thread .

If it helps:
You don't have to respond to something you don't like or agree with. You can choose to pass it on by & ignore it. A re-action to a post you don't like can deflect from the subject matter and lead a thread off-topic & a bit of argy-bargy. By sparking, you give said post you don't like more attention - more life/ more credence in a way.

There is a facility on BE to put a poster on ignore. It will mean you don't have to see their posts.
Click on the username to the left of the post.
There will be a drop-down menu.
Click 'View Public Profile'
and it brings up their profile.
If you look along the 3rd blue band down you will see an "Add to your ignore list" phrase.
Click on that.
Another window will open.
You need to click 'Save List' and it's sorted .

I think Gobbyjock has explained it quite well Dali72. I understood it anyway .
Old Aug 7th 2012, 11:29 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dali72
i get it and i dont....
ok you dont want to spoil other peoples homecoming but hellloooooooo one of their mates is among the missing!! **** the happy homecoming!!!!
id be wanting to show the other shipmates that i didnt blame them (even if i wanted to) and that i was glad to see them back safe....and to bring as much publicity to the scene as i could.....no one has yet to answer why they dont want it all over the papers.
yes RN have their protocol but jeez a few months in and not so much as a tweet...

so what happens next....they watch the ship come in, few pieces in the news and he is a statistic...
Look at the end of the day when my hubby comes back from a 6 months deployment the family go down to meet the ship coming in - the ship is usually hiding around the Isle of Wight the night before - completely frustrating for all involved as you are so near yet so far. The kids are totally hyper and excited to see dad again, you`ll maybe have a band on the quayside, there are banners - you`ve not seen your family for 6 months. It`s a time of pomp and happiness, everyone lines up on the side of the ship as it comes in, then everyone goes on board - those families are entitled to that happy homecoming and **** anyone else who says otherwise!
The lads have spent 6 months floating around in a bloody hot tin can often working 12hrs on 12hrs off for weeks at a time in cramped conditions - it`s not a picnic - that`s why when they are ashore in foreign ports they will let their hair down. That`s ok though cos that`s what they are paid to do and they just get on with it. I can guarantee though that everyone on the quayside and everyone on that ship will have Timmy and his family in their minds. If I was the wife I would not want to be in amongst all that feeling like the white elephant in the room, seeing the other wives faces filled with sympathy but tinged with guilt that they have their hubby home safe.
I can`t see the RN giving out any info it goes against policy, and whilst it is frustrating that there are no updates from the family either, again they don`t owe anyone anything - no one offered help on the proviso that they were kept in the loop. The real risk though is that the family are alienating those that have helped and offered help and personally if it was me I`d think it rude to not give out at least a little update - the scarey thought for me though is that perhaps there really isn`t any info to give out.

Last edited by gobbyjock; Aug 7th 2012 at 11:35 am.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

dali72 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
Look at the end of the day when my hubby comes back from a 6 months deployment the family go down to meet the ship coming in - the ship is usually hiding around the Isle of Wight the night before - completely frustrating for all involved as you are so near yet so far. The kids are totally hyper and excited to see dad again, you`ll maybe have a band on the quayside, there are banners - you`ve not seen your family for 6 months. It`s a time of pomp and happiness, everyone lines up on the side of the ship as it comes in, then everyone goes on board - those families are entitled to that happy homecoming and **** anyone else who says otherwise!
The lads have spent 6 months floating around in a bloody hot tin can often working 12hrs on 12hrs off for weeks at a time in cramped conditions - it`s not a picnic - that`s why when they are ashore in foreign ports they will let their hair down. That`s ok though cos that`s what they are paid to do and they just get on with it. I can guarantee though that everyone on the quayside and everyone on that ship will have Timmy and his family in their minds. If I was the wife I would not want to be in amongst all that feeling like the white elephant in the room, seeing the other wives faces filled with sympathy but tinged with guilt that they have their hubby home safe.
I can`t see the RN giving out any info it goes against policy, and whilst it is frustrating that there are no updates from the family either, again they don`t owe anyone anything - no one offered help on the proviso that they were kept in the loop. The real risk though is that the family are alienating those that have helped and offered help and personally if it was me I`d think it rude to not give out at least a little update - the scarey thought for me though is that perhaps there really isn`t any info to give out.
i totally get that as i do it too, and it is an amazing time for everyone there, what i meant was perhaps she could have went on board at some point,the CO flew out to her, i guess to ease the homecoming, and it would have been good for his shipmates to maybe see her and get it out of the way before that quayside celebration.
after all, they are gonna be looking about and waiting for that moment. It is going to be at the back of everyones minds, why not get it done early on and get that first meeting over with...i think the RN did their bit sending the CO out, and you are quite right, there is perhaps no updates because there is probably nothing to say. terribly sad few days coming up
Old Aug 7th 2012, 9:31 pm
Im a woomaaan

Originally Posted by dali72
i totally get that as i do it too, and it is an amazing time for everyone there, what i meant was perhaps she could have went on board at some point,the CO flew out to her, i guess to ease the homecoming, and it would have been good for his shipmates to maybe see her and get it out of the way before that quayside celebration.
after all, they are gonna be looking about and waiting for that moment. It is going to be at the back of everyones minds, why not get it done early on and get that first meeting over with...i think the RN did their bit sending the CO out, and you are quite right, there is perhaps no updates because there is probably nothing to say. terribly sad few days coming up
You always get advance leave parties coming back a couple of weeks before the rest of the ship - I`d imagine that there might be a couple of friends in that party who would make a point of seeing her. (possibly - though just speculation on my part).
Old Aug 7th 2012, 9:53 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Found this in the Scottish Sun........

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scot...cle4476627.ece

hmmmm
Old Aug 7th 2012, 10:18 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76

hmmmm
Wasn't going to post on this thread but this pissed me off sorry. What do yellow ribbons do that people on this forum, who are on the ground have not been allowed to do? I thought they didn't want to draw attention to anythng in case it offended the Dubai officials? I don't get it. It's just truly tragic.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 10:34 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Putting it politely "Go then....and DO NOT COME BACK!!!!
oh sorry i forgot i should have just posted BTH instead.

someone above posted far more eloquently than i could ever be bothered to but the point was well made.

your posts are pretty much exactly why so so many of us have decided that poor timmy is pretty much on his own where ever he is and we are done wating out time with you all.

awful situation, of course, family handling things in about as bad a way as possible, unfortunately.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 11:34 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

hmmmm
Servicemen wear something called a uniform, yellow ribbons are not uniform items, ergo not allowed. Molehill & mountain.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 11:53 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

hmmmm
Hmm indeed because to me that looks like Invincible or Illustrious not Westminister in the photo? I.E an Aircraft Carrier and I am sure I read Westminster was a frigate.

Quality journalism in the UK strikes again
Old Aug 8th 2012, 6:18 am
Just Joined

I am a Muslim is an unknown quantity at this point

Dubai Police operations room 24 hrs tel +971-4-2692222, Told the police about the time of disappearance and all known details about the man

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.