Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Mental Health of Expats in the ME

Mental Health of Expats in the ME

Old Mar 22nd 2016, 9:37 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mental Health of Expats in the ME

Originally Posted by Kakawax
The story of English in 100 words is a superb book, if like me you enjoy the etymology. So much of English history is tied up in its language.
Got it, read it. Plus several others.

He has been at LitFest for the past couple of years and I've been to several of his sessions. He did the Orwell Lecture this year as well. Very friendly and happy to chat. His son Ben was here this year too and he's also lovely.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 9:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Kakawax
Subjective though... shite compared to what? Other UK cities? I'd have to disagree.

I've never seen any major trouble, or the dereliction and poverty apparent in cities anywhere north of Warwick, and though Southampton may be a little souless in the centre, there's plenty to do and see.. it has the coast and New Forest within a short drive.. and of course one of the best football teams in the EPL
It's much nicer than Portsmouth, which is the main thing. But having been born and brought up in Southampton for most of my life before moving here it's actually quite sad going back and noticing 'faults' (in my opinion).

It's a good fun city, it's big enough but doesn't have to feel huge, the student aspect is actually good, but like any large city some of the areas are run down and need help and investment. They've been getting on to it I know but it just sometimes feel like it's a little bit-part and isolated.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be looking to move back to Hampshire in a few years time for sure and will want to be close to Southampton, if not in it.

One of the best? It's THE best team in the Premier League. All hail King Koeman.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 9:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
It's much nicer than Portsmouth, which is the main thing. But having been born and brought up in Southampton for most of my life before moving here it's actually quite sad going back and noticing 'faults' (in my opinion).

It's a good fun city, it's big enough but doesn't have to feel huge, the student aspect is actually good, but like any large city some of the areas are run down and need help and investment. They've been getting on to it I know but it just sometimes feel like it's a little bit-part and isolated.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be looking to move back to Hampshire in a few years time for sure and will want to be close to Southampton, if not in it.

One of the best? It's THE best team in the Premier League. All hail King Koeman.
It's the Dubai of the South of England.

I actually really liked it. Also quite liked Portsmouth but I must admit I only went to the waterfront to get the ferry to the Isle of Widget.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 10:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
It's the Dubai of the South of England.

I actually really liked it. Also quite liked Portsmouth but I must admit I only went to the waterfront to get the ferry to the Isle of Widget.
As bad as it is for me to say, Portsmouth isn't bad. Well, Southsea is lovely and I argue that it's not really Portsmouth. Gunwharf is cool, the old town around Nelson is alright too. For a night out Portsmouth competes for sure.

It's just the rest of it and the peasant people that infest the city.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 4:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Standanista
You could argue that that even extends - to an extent - down to the Indian labourers and Bangla cleaners. God knows what grim existence they left behind at home to come to the Sand Pit under their working conditions.

You would be surprised to hear this, but quite a few of the cleaner types actually lived in better environs back home than in the Gulf; better as in more living space, far better food, better "entertainment" and so on.

They are not here for a better living standard, but for the cash they get after every month which they send back home to support anything from 3-10 family members. The luckier ones have siblings doing the same so there is not much pressure on any one member.

Their choice is between better living conditions and little to no cash back home or sleeping 6 to a room here, with 500-800 dhs left over after every month.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Standanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maxima
You would be surprised to hear this, but quite a few of the cleaner types actually lived in better environs back home than in the Gulf; better as in more living space, far better food, better "entertainment" and so on.

They are not here for a better living standard, but for the cash they get after every month which they send back home to support anything from 3-10 family members. The luckier ones have siblings doing the same so there is not much pressure on any one member.

Their choice is between better living conditions and little to no cash back home or sleeping 6 to a room here, with 500-800 dhs left over after every month.
Agreed, although those cash figures are optimistic for many. The cleaners at our place are on 600 a month gross - a sizeable chunk of which has to go back home - plus camp accommodation, but no food. There are tea boys on 450. Albeit, those sums will get topped up a bit by ad hoc tips.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Standanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
I haven't see this programme but I do know a little about the history and formation of the English language as I am a huge fan of David Crystal, a well known professor of linguistics.

Until around 750-800 the main language in the UK was a variation of Celtic, then the Angles and Jutes arrived and introduced Northern European words which in turn was built on my the Saxons and the Normans although interestingly (well, for word geeks like me) very few words from the Vikings. The British/Vulgar Latin used by the Romans was almost fully displaced.

The English language is an amalgamation of many other languages although we can thank William Shakespeare for introducing thousands of words and phrases, many of which we use to this day.

I'm digressing but it's a favourite subject.
Good subject. I think you're out on those dates though. The Romans left by 410 and by the early 600s the majority of what is now England, plus south eastern Scotland, was already speaking variants of Anglo-Saxon. The only exceptions by that point were the upland, and hence more easily defended, Celtic areas (Cornwall/Devon obviously, plus parts of what is now Lancashire and Cumbria), plus the bits the Jutes took which was only really Kent and the Isle of Wight. Hill country is the same reason that Welsh survived where it did, "Welsh" being a derivative of the Anglo-Saxon word for foreigner.

While respective British and English communities did at times live side by side, the lack of Celtic vocabulary in English is ultimately indicative of the extent to which the English language arrived in Britain at the point of a sword. (So much for multiculturalism.) The remnants are in place names, e.g. Leeds, Avon. This is mirrored in the archeological record, e.g. pots and stuff.

The Romans had enough military in Britain, plus the road and barrack infrastructure to easily move them where needed, to keep both German raiders plus any errant Romano-British earls in check. Once they left, the British (who had gone soft at this point after nearly four centuries of saunas, cheap prosseco and relative peace & prosperity) began to rely increasingly on Germanic mercenaries to fight their battles for them. There was no shortage of these, given the population pressures on the Continent at the time. It didn't take long for a few of the said troops to meet their mate fighting for the opposition on the battlefield, wonder what was happening, realise that the place was up for the taking and put a post on Facebook saying come on over; "the rest, as they say, is history".

A lot more Norse got into English than is credited but largely in Northern dialects, i.e. north of the Wirral-Wash boundary which marked the southern edge of the Danelaw. Place names are also a big marker, e.g. anything with a -by suffix. Curiously though they didn't leave too much in the DNA record.

Then the Normans came and really ****ed it up.

Angle, Anglo-Saxon, Saxon, Jutish and Danish all gradually started to mingle (never fully, hence we still have regional accents today) but the big step change in standardisation was the printing press. Coincidentally this technology popped up around the time the Great Vowel Shift was happening, which accounts for English's screwed up vowel spellings.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 10:11 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

The dates were off the top of my head and I wasn't going to look them up for this place!

My info is generally from Professor David Crystal, a renounced expert on linguistics and I'll accept what he says over something C&P'd from a random website.

The printing press essentially introduced standardised spelling and as many of the original printers were Flemish we have them to thank for things like silent Gs (ghost for example) in the English language.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

My info is generally from Professor David Crystal, a renounced expert on linguistics and I'll accept what he says over something C&P'd from a random website.

The printing press essentially introduced standardised spelling and as many of the original printers were Flemish we have them to thank for things like silent Gs (ghost for example) in the English language.
As you should. Just to be clear however, that was all off the top of my head too, not C&P - also a pet subject! Better to use a variety of sources than rely on one academic, also. There's always room for opinion in this stuff.

Didn't know that about the Flemish, interesting.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Another good entry-level resource in this area is The Story of English, which is a BBC series and accompanying book. It's been around donkey's years but still good. If you want to dig a bit deeper into the early stuff check out Sweet's Anglo-Saxon Reader.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 11:33 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Standanista
Another good entry-level resource in this area is The Story of English, which is a BBC series and accompanying book. It's been around donkey's years but still good. If you want to dig a bit deeper into the early stuff check out Sweet's Anglo-Saxon Reader.
Entry level? Thanks for the mansplaining...

Old Mar 23rd 2016, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Entry level? Thanks for the mansplaining...

You're one better than me, I just had to look up what that meant!

Wasn't having a go at all. I figured that if you were interested in this area then that was a series you might enjoy looking at, rather than bore you with more academia.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Crystal & Son on OP Shakespeare:

Last edited by Standanista; Mar 23rd 2016 at 1:37 pm. Reason: Bad link
Old Mar 24th 2016, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

Kakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of light

The dates were off the top of my head and I wasn't going to look them up for this place!

I'm sure you would enjoy the Open University course U214 Worlds of English, certainly the best module I ever took, though the fee for it has increased dramatically since. It a one year course, very well structured in three parts, the formation of English in Britain, it's dispersion around the globe and subsequent diversification, and the politics of modern English as in identity and social policy. Lots of interesting facts and cultural perspectives, and a solid academic foundation on the subject.

Last edited by Kakawax; Mar 24th 2016 at 11:59 pm.
Old Mar 25th 2016, 12:06 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
As bad as it is for me to say, Portsmouth isn't bad. Well, Southsea is lovely and I argue that it's not really Portsmouth. Gunwharf is cool, the old town around Nelson is alright too. For a night out Portsmouth competes for sure.

It's just the rest of it and the peasant people that infest the city.
I remember spending some time in Gosport, doing some work on naval bases down there. Don't miss that place that's for sure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.