Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Mental Health of Expats in the ME

Mental Health of Expats in the ME

Old Mar 6th 2016, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Ali84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mental Health of Expats in the ME

Given this tragic story in Doha http://http://dohanews.co/uk-probes-...tar-over-debt/

Does anyone think that living in this region negatively affects mental health i think this story also illustrates the backwardness of the exit permit system here in Qatar?
Old Mar 6th 2016, 5:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mental Health of Expats in the ME

Mental Health can also be adversely affected when migrants come back home. I had a rocky ride in my twenties after a two-year contract in the Middle East. Psychotic episodes made worse by excessive use of alcohol.
Old Mar 6th 2016, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

Yup good point, as part of our de-mobilization process we use an employee support service to help people readjust to life back home.
Personally i find that emotions seem amplified here the highs are much higher and the lows much lower than back in the UK, but maybe that's just me.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ali84
Yup good point, as part of our de-mobilization process we use an employee support service to help people readjust to life back home.
Personally i find that emotions seem amplified here the highs are much higher and the lows much lower than back in the UK, but maybe that's just me.
Employee support service , deary me . Use mine when you next take a session

1. Go to said country
2. Earn money
3. Don't waste money
4. Don't take debt in said county
5. Leave said country
6. Spend the spoils of your labour
7. Repeat
Old Mar 7th 2016, 3:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by co durham boy

1. Go to said country
2. Earn money
3. Don't waste money
5. Leave said country
7. Repeat
Interesting. Whenever I'm down in the dumps I just go through the simple steps;

1. Eat.
2. Beat (your meat)
3. Sleep
4. Repeat
Old Mar 7th 2016, 7:31 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Given this tragic story in Doha http://http://dohanews.co/uk-probes-...tar-over-debt/

Does anyone think that living in this region negatively affects mental health i think this story also illustrates the backwardness of the exit permit system here in Qatar?
People have mental health issues in every country in the world, admittedly in some more than others.

If you're willing to go to a third-world country where you're going to be at risk of becoming a virtual prisoner there at the whim of your employer, then you already have mental health issues if you haven't fully assessed your own ability to deal with that sort of risk.

Unfortunately the ME seems extremely well-populated by such expats. Being a wanker is one type of mental health issue.

As Scamp and Co Durham Boy have implied: before you go, research and understand the risks, define why you're going and when you'll bail, and keep those things in mind when you're there.

Don't go if you don't know the smell of your own piss.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
People have mental health issues in every country in the world, admittedly in some more than others.

If you're willing to go to a third-world country where you're going to be at risk of becoming a virtual prisoner there at the whim of your employer, then you already have mental health issues if you haven't fully assessed your own ability to deal with that sort of risk.

Unfortunately the ME seems extremely well-populated by such expats. Being a wanker is one type of mental health issue.

As Scamp and Co Durham Boy have implied: before you go, research and understand the risks, define why you're going and when you'll bail, and keep those things in mind when you're there.

Don't go if you don't know the smell of your own piss.
Please hand this out to would be suitors before travel !
Old Mar 7th 2016, 2:06 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

What a tragic and avoidable event.

I know of two other British expat suicides in Qatar in the six-years I've been here, with isolation from family, an Arabic employer and restrictions on movement being significant, contributing factors.

A tough place to live and work, for sure, perhaps other than for the hardened professional with significant expat experience.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
What a tragic and avoidable event.

I know of two other British expat suicides in Qatar in the six-years I've been here, with isolation from family, an Arabic employer and restrictions on movement being significant, contributing factors.

A tough place to live and work, for sure, perhaps other than for the hardened professional with significant expat experience.
Yup it is a tough place to live and work in all the old hand expats i know say KSA and Qatar are the hardest of the GCC states to live in
Old Mar 7th 2016, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

Please hand this out to would be suitors before travel !
Yup i agree to a certain extent you need mental fortitude to survive out here. Luckily i went to a british boarding school which they say is the best preparation for prison and i would argue the middle east.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

1. Go to said country
2. Earn money
3. Don't waste money
5. Leave said country
7. Repeat
Lol i will run that past our management team, tbh i do subscribe to that view myself
Old Mar 7th 2016, 5:12 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Lol i will run that past our management team, tbh i do subscribe to that view myself
Who do you work for?
Old Mar 7th 2016, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

Will PM you if you really want to know but i cant say on a open forum, just have to be careful as iv just started the new job
Old Mar 7th 2016, 6:01 pm
Hit 16's

Will PM you if you really want to know but i cant say on a open forum, just have to be careful as iv just started the new job
Just testing

I'm guessing a western outfit, in a "soft" industry (banking or professional services).
Old Mar 7th 2016, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Just testing

I'm guessing a western outfit, in a "soft" industry (banking or professional services).
Lol almost correct, i did start my career in investment banking in the uk, moved to Doha with a British engineering consultancy in 2014. now iv made the leap to a local outfit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.