Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Mental Health of Expats in the ME

Mental Health of Expats in the ME

Old Mar 7th 2016, 10:11 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mental Health of Expats in the ME

Originally Posted by Ali84
Lol almost correct, i did start my career in investment banking in the uk, moved to Doha with a British engineering consultancy in 2014. now iv made the leap to a local outfit.
I think you've just given the game away...
Old Mar 8th 2016, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Yup i agree to a certain extent you need mental fortitude to survive out here. Luckily i went to a british boarding school which they say is the best preparation for prison and i would argue the middle east.
Don't get connected and distance yourself from situations , it's the only way . This place is alien and you must learn to counteract all the nonsense that it throws at you . Surviving the day to day shite is the main part . Some of the best engineers and PM's i have come across haven't been able to hack it just because they couldn't adapt. No shame in that as some people just aren't cut out for it .

Doha is a toilet but once you get your head round how it works or doesn't work then it's a breeze mate . Qatar is a bit like Hartlepool , full of weird locals with strange cultural practices just a lot hotter and more expensive
Old Mar 8th 2016, 4:29 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Qatar is a bit like Hartlepool , full of weird locals with strange cultural practices just a lot hotter and more expensive
I would imagine monkey hanging would be something that would catch-on over there.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
I would imagine monkey hanging would be something that would catch-on over there.
Bang on chief
Old Mar 8th 2016, 9:18 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

On a basic level I am quite sure that those who struggle in the ME are often the ones who have an expectation that things will be just like in the UK but with more sun and sand.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

Kakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of light

as part of our de-mobilization process we use an employee support service to help people readjust to life back home
To be fair on the poor souls, paying tax again must be incredibly traumatic.!
Old Mar 8th 2016, 10:12 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kakawax
To be fair on the poor souls, paying tax again must be incredibly traumatic.!
Now go and wash your mouth out with soap. (Where's the shudder smilie?)
Old Mar 8th 2016, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

Ali84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Don't get connected and distance yourself from situations , it's the only way . This place is alien and you must learn to counteract all the nonsense that it throws at you . Surviving the day to day shite is the main part . Some of the best engineers and PM's i have come across haven't been able to hack it just because they couldn't adapt. No shame in that as some people just aren't cut out for it .

Doha is a toilet but once you get your head round how it works or doesn't work then it's a breeze mate . Qatar is a bit like Hartlepool , full of weird locals with strange cultural practices just a lot hotter and more expensive
Cheers mate, after nearly 2 years here i see what you mean. i worked out i need to get out every 8-12 weeks to avoid going mental. even a weekend in bahrain or dubai helps to blow off steam
Old Mar 8th 2016, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

Ali84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Meow
On a basic level I am quite sure that those who struggle in the ME are often the ones who have an expectation that things will be just like in the UK but with more sun and sand.
Yup those i have seen not last their probation tend think it will be like a working holiday in marbella
Old Mar 19th 2016, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Standanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond repute

It's like taking psychedelics: it can be a bad trip or an interesting and rewarding one, but ultimately none of it is real. Get a good shaman to see you through, hopefully with a bucketful of cash at the end of it.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 11:04 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Standanista
It's like taking psychedelics: it can be a bad trip or an interesting and rewarding one, but ultimately none of it is real. Get a good shaman to see you through, hopefully with a bucketful of cash at the end of it.
Why is life in the ME not real?

I do a real job (well, kind of), live in a real house, go to a real supermarket, children go to real schools, do real laundry. My life isn't really that much different to when I was in London.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 11:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

It is real life, completely.

Take the bills for example. They're 100% real.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

My life isn't really that much different to when I was in London.
Come on... the difference is exactly the reason why we are still here and not in London.

The basic issue is that people say that the "hard" bits of living in the UK is what makes it "real". Life is not any less real here, its just not as hard.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Standanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond repute

Why is life in the ME not real?

I do a real job (well, kind of), live in a real house, go to a real supermarket, children go to real schools, do real laundry. My life isn't really that much different to when I was in London.
It's not real because we're living in The Matrix. The trappings of life which maintain expats' mental health - the Friday brunches, the Western compounds, the pork counter at Spinney's, the highly-priced British curriculum schools - and which keep us here in relative perceived sanity so we keep the system ticking over, are the blue pill, but they're not representative of the Middle East. Yes it's easy, until you cross a line (which is not drawn by you) and then you find out how alien the place is, as co durham boy says. Granted, the further away you get from the shiny expat enclaves, out past the work camps on the city outskirts, the realer the place gets in one sense.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

Kakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of light

Some interesting perspectives...

Do you think that the expats who are more effected by mental health issues are those confined, as it where, to a single location, working and living in the same area with few opportunities to travel and experience other locales..?

Obviously there are more factors, such as disposition, accommodation, income etc, but I think it can get very demotivating to be in a role with limited contact to others outside the work group, and the daily grind can soon wear one down regardless of location, but must be even more frustrating given the difficulties of weather and culture in the ME.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.