Living in Al Ain

Old Jan 31st 2009, 5:04 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Al Ain

Originally Posted by ozkingy
And on the topic of health, can anyone recommend a place to get a vasectomy done? In all seriousness................

Cheers,

Kingy.
American Hospital in Dubai
Old Jan 31st 2009, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

Out of Africa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazing Grace
The new C4 at Mezeyad opened yesterday and I have heard good things about it so far. In the future there will be a Marks and Spencer and Toys R Us and I heard possibly a Boots The Chemist so look forward to having a look.
Well, isn't that just damn typical! The minute we leave a place, they open all the "good" malls!!!! I remember years ago (maybe about 7) when we left Gaborone, Botswana, they opened two really good shopping malls - I only got to see them building them, much like I did Mezyad! As far as Boots is concerned, the guy from Boots in Emirates Mall told me that they were opening a branch in AA soon so I should imagine that it will be in this mall. And then you will have Ace as well, when I think of all the times my husband was looking for stuff that could only be bought from Ace. AA is certainly looking up.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

sassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of light
Exclamation Re: Living in Al Ain

Originally Posted by Out of Africa
Well, isn't that just damn typical! The minute we leave a place, they open all the "good" malls!!!! I remember years ago (maybe about 7) when we left Gaborone, Botswana, they opened two really good shopping malls - I only got to see them building them, much like I did Mezyad! As far as Boots is concerned, the guy from Boots in Emirates Mall told me that they were opening a branch in AA soon so I should imagine that it will be in this mall. And then you will have Ace as well, when I think of all the times my husband was looking for stuff that could only be bought from Ace. AA is certainly looking up.
Ok everyone, where is the new C4 at ? I don't know where Mezyad or however you spell it is located and i'm all about hitting new stores LOL.. PS in relation to your questions and problems with the schools. I met a contact on here who is here in Al Ain now as a school advisor. so when i spoke with him yesterday i asked exactly what will he be doing here and he stated he has been hired to teach the schools HOW to each. So maybe there will be a soution to your problems.

Now let me give you some notice and GOOD Advice if you don't already know it. Recently i took my PALS class to stay current on treatments, diagnosis etc. for Pedatric Advanced Life Support. Well for all of you that have children and have an emergency DO NOT, i repeat DO NOT take them to Al Noor Hospital here in AA. The class consisted of us breaking into teams and among my team was 2 girls who struggled very hard with scenarios. One of the 2 that was on my team I really felt sorry for and wanted to help her soI asked what part in medicine was her scope of practice so that I could as a team leader, place her in a position of patient care that she would be more familiar with and not struggle so much when it came to skills testing. All we had to work with was a manequin and a monitor. Yes that makes it harder at times however, she misinterpreted a cardiac rhythm by then offering incorrect treatment and meds given. Then to fail the written test ( which she was allowed to retake with help) really enforced my warning to all of you. I about fell out when she informed me she is a pediatrician at Al Noor Hospital. Maybe she can do your vasectomy ? LOL
Old Jan 31st 2009, 10:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassypilotswife
Ok everyone, where is the new C4 at ? I don't know where Mezyad or however you spell it is located and i'm all about hitting new stores LOL.. PS in relation to your questions and problems with the schools. I met a contact on here who is here in Al Ain now as a school advisor. so when i spoke with him yesterday i asked exactly what will he be doing here and he stated he has been hired to teach the schools HOW to each. So maybe there will be a soution to your problems.

Now let me give you some notice and GOOD Advice if you don't already know it. Recently i took my PALS class to stay current on treatments, diagnosis etc. for Pedatric Advanced Life Support. Well for all of you that have children and have an emergency DO NOT, i repeat DO NOT take them to Al Noor Hospital here in AA. The class consisted of us breaking into teams and among my team was 2 girls who struggled very hard with scenarios. One of the 2 that was on my team I really felt sorry for and wanted to help her soI asked what part in medicine was her scope of practice so that I could as a team leader, place her in a position of patient care that she would be more familiar with and not struggle so much when it came to skills testing. All we had to work with was a manequin and a monitor. Yes that makes it harder at times however, she misinterpreted a cardiac rhythm by then offering incorrect treatment and meds given. Then to fail the written test ( which she was allowed to retake with help) really enforced my warning to all of you. I about fell out when she informed me she is a pediatrician at Al Noor Hospital. Maybe she can do your vasectomy ? LOL
the ministry here have been bringing in "experts" for the last 3 years...... and they are still bringing them in.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Amazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond repute

Make enquiries at Al Ain Hospital, the hospital is under new management and has a very good trauma unit with excellent doctors and nurses.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

buddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nice

Are you all e-fing kidding??? There is nowhere in the UAE that has ANYWHERE near USA standards of medical care. Al Noor is one of the newest and most comprehensive hospitals in the Abu Dhabi Emirate.
Al Ain hospital is a government hospital, it has a better standard of care, but with an arabic point of view. ....ie: if you die, it is gods will....

Good luck!! I have been to both!!!
Old Jan 31st 2009, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

shammy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Aikman7981
We are currently leaning toward placing my 4 year old son in the Chouiefat school. We have our reservations but will go for a look see together. It is considerably cheaper than AAESS and the day is similar. Anyone have some (gasp) positives about a school? The alternative is home schooling with a steady dose of playgroups and athletics or activities.

Can anyone comment on available sports or activities for 4-5 year olds? If we can get him into a few things throught the week school might not be that necessary for a year. Thanks!
Tennis lessons with Darren at the Intercon for this age group - also Rugby club does tag for this age group. Got to say that we are fairly happy with AAESS - may not be the best school we have ever had the kids at - but it is the best available without resorting to boarding - which we will do once they are in Senior school.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Amazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by buddymom
Are you all e-fing kidding??? There is nowhere in the UAE that has ANYWHERE near USA standards of medical care. Al Noor is one of the newest and most comprehensive hospitals in the Abu Dhabi Emirate.
Al Ain hospital is a government hospital, it has a better standard of care, but with an arabic point of view. ....ie: if you die, it is gods will....

Good luck!! I have been to both!!!
Okay so you had a bad experience but other people have had good experiences.

For any newbies coming to Al Ain this thread is absolutely full of good information it was started by a very good and dear friend of mine. You will read lots of opinions and experiences both good and bad as above but take it all in and take from it what you need.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 9:01 am
Just Joined

aaziz040 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone!! I have recently moved in with my Cousin for a few weeks from the UK and have already started commuting to Jabel Ali Free Zone (Dubai) everyday...

Am looking around for a 2-3 bed Villa and my range is between (60-80 Dhr). You think I'd be able to get somehting nearer to the Al-Ain -Dubai road or even outside of Al-Ain on the way to Dubai??? Also, can anyone suggest a good gym in Al-Ain (not too Expensive though)....Sorry for all the questions

Cheerz
Old Feb 1st 2009, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

sassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Amazing Grace
Make enquiries at Al Ain Hospital, the hospital is under new management and has a very good trauma unit with excellent doctors and nurses.

AG, can you define trauma unit vs emergency room ? I am interested to know the definition here in the UAE as to what they define a " trauma unit" as being and do they accept ALL and any trauma patients without discrimination as to nationality, citizenship, race, ability to pay, insurance coverage ?
Thanks
Old Feb 1st 2009, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by aaziz040
Hi Everyone!! I have recently moved in with my Cousin for a few weeks from the UK and have already started commuting to Jabel Ali Free Zone (Dubai) everyday...

Am looking around for a 2-3 bed Villa and my range is between (60-80 Dhr). You think I'd be able to get somehting nearer to the Al-Ain -Dubai road or even outside of Al-Ain on the way to Dubai??? Also, can anyone suggest a good gym in Al-Ain (not too Expensive though)....Sorry for all the questions

Cheerz
Welcome aaziz.. i dont see many 2 to 3 bed villas around so i honestly can't help you there. You may call a couple of brokers i am using right now to find a new villa. Most 2 to 3 bedroom are flats here. There are some apartments across the street from my villa in Falaj Hazzaa, a nurse friend of mine lives there and she told us last month there were openings. They might be in your price range. Feel free to PM me your phone number
Melanie
Old Feb 1st 2009, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

AG, can you define trauma unit vs emergency room ? I am interested to know the definition here in the UAE as to what they define a " trauma unit" as being and do they accept ALL and any trauma patients without discrimination as to nationality, citizenship, race, ability to pay, insurance coverage ?
Thanks
Al Ain Hospital is the main accident and emergency for this area and surrounding area. As to your other question I am really not sure you would have to enquire at the hospital. It is undergoing a major overhaul in every way at the moment and already there have been noticeable improvements.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

ozkingy is on a distinguished road

I have used the Emirates International Hospital near the Safeer Centre (between the Carrefour and the blue waterfall roundabouts) a couple of times now. The doctors and staff were quite good. I saw a general doctor for my little one, who had a throat infection, and my wife saw an ENT doctor for sore ears. We were both very happy with the service. Woudn't go there for a limb ripped off or anything, but the ER looked small but well stocked. Doctors appointments usually available within two hours for non-emergency cases, or you can book too I believe.

Cheers,

Kingy.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 11:45 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

if is is a Government hospital there is no discrimination whatsoever, they will even treat tourists.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 11:59 am
Just Joined

Bully Wee Boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyway, back to the new mall. It's out towards the Hilton and turn right - go past the military college and it is in on the left hand side. Went there yesterday and it looks impressive; however, only Carrefour is open at the moment and it's an exact replica of the one in Al Jimi. No sign of a Boots or an M&S yet but there was a sign up for a Homes R Us and an ACE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.