Living in Al Ain

Old Feb 7th 2009, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

sassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Living in Al Ain

Originally Posted by larnie
BC I got the opposite impression from Sassy's post. I think she is keen for you to come to AA so you can meet.

Larnie
You would be 100% correct Larnie. The girls on this thread are very helpful and I definitely want to meet up with them. I talk to my girlfriends I have had for 20 years+, had them all at my house when we went home for xmas and they just don't understand why i left, let alone have stayed. Anyway, girls i look forward to having the opportunity to meet you. Grace, I will PM you my info. Will your hubby be at the trauma conference on the 16th ? I will be there with Dr's El Sadiq and Sheek-Hussein.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

sassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of light

The New Motto for 2009!! "PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES AND DEAL WITH IT"

A Poem About Our Girlfriends

Someone will always be prettier.
Someone will always be smarter.
Some of their houses will be bigger.
Some will drive a better car.
Their children will do better in school.
And their husband will fix more things around the house.
So let it go, and love you and your circumstances
Think about it!
The prettiest woman in the world can have hell in her heart.
The most highly favored woman on your job may be unable to have children.
The richest woman you know, she's got the car, the house, the clothes~ might be lonely.
And the word says, 'If I have not Love, I am nothing.' So, again, love you.
Love who you are.
Look in the mirror in the morning and smile and say,
'I am too Blessed to be Stressed and too Anointed, to be Disappointed!'
'Winners make things happen~~ Losers let things happen.'
Be 'Blessed' Ladies and pass this on to encourage another woman.
'To the world you might be one person, to me you are special!

SEND THIS TO YOUR FAVORITE WOMEN ~ I JUST DID!

"The happiest people don't have the best of everything,
They just make the best of everything that they have!" - Unknown

Old Feb 9th 2009, 2:42 am
Just Joined

Texan8997 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Aikman7981
We are currently leaning toward placing my 4 year old son in the Chouiefat school. We have our reservations but will go for a look see together. It is considerably cheaper than AAESS and the day is similar. Anyone have some (gasp) positives about a school? The alternative is home schooling with a steady dose of playgroups and athletics or activities.

Can anyone comment on available sports or activities for 4-5 year olds? If we can get him into a few things throught the week school might not be that necessary for a year. Thanks!
Thank you all for your replies. I have been tied up and haven't had a chance to extend my thanks. I am happy to see that this thread is so active though!

Aikman7981 I have heard mixed reviews about Chouiefat as well, but a family connected to the same project as my husband's also has a 4-year old son (same age as mine) and Chouiefat is at the top of their list. I am e-mailing the wife this evening to hear her thoughts -- I will be happy to pass along what I have learned if you like.

If the head of the AAESS school is departing, that could be why I have not received a response to my e-mail sent a week ago. I will try again tonight.

We were given a tour of the Palm Sports Resort while visiting, but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for an excellent work out facility. I work out regularly and I am a bit spoiled with my gym here -- it is absolute heaven. Also, activities for kids. I read that someone referred a tennis instructor, what about swimming, soccer, rugby, horse riding lessons?

Apologies for another barrage of questions, but or visit there just wasn't long enough -- I doubt any visit would have been truth-be-told.

Thanks again!
Old Feb 10th 2009, 7:43 am
Just Joined

muminamini is an unknown quantity at this point

I finally made it!!!!!
Apologies first of all for not having posted in such along time - our internet connection in the UK got disconnected in December...and we have finally managed to get ourselves out here!!!

I arrived last Wednesday evening. Things are going really well, I love our Villa and James seems to be enjoying school. I got my hire car yesterday and so I did my first school run this morning and had a nice chat with two Mums there. I think I can find my way to LuLu's in Saniya to get shopping and everything is starting to feel a little less scary.

The day after we arrived we met our friends that we flew out with up at the Intercon and couldn't beleive how lovely the people are here - so many stopped to chat and introduce themselves. We also seem to have some lovely neighbours too. I am very excited about everything, although I am fully aware that it is very much like aholiday at the moment (although cleaning the villa is not much of a holiday!!!).

I am in Zakher, I need to try and get myself to Al Jimi Mall or something and get my driving confidence up!

Do you guys meet up for coffee or anything? I think we are hoping to go to the Intercon - Horse and Jockey on Thurs evening (husbands work permitting!)

Take care
xxx
Old Feb 10th 2009, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

Welcome Welcome Welcome Mumi!!!

Glad to hear back from you! Wondered if maybe something had changed or if you were here and didn't have internet yet. Which side of Zakher are you living ? Near the mountain ? Perhaps you're not sure yet but I would love to meet you for coffee or whatever you please. Tonight is Quiz night at The Rugby Club and I was trying to organize a BE team to play if you all are interested. If not, perhaps hubby and I can meet you at the Intercon depending on as you said, your hubby's schedule. My name is Melanie and i'm a pretty new expat myself from the US but know my way around Al Ain and have great connections here. You definitely need to meet Grace aka Amazing Grace as she is the seasoned expat and can tell you a whole lot more and I still have things to learn such as where to buy certain items etc. I will PM you my number

OK all... wondered if anyone wanted to get together as i said for a BE group for quiz night tonight (Wednesday Feb 10th) at The Rugby Club. Quizzing starts at 8, Hubby and I can be there early to get a table as they fill up fast. It is good to get there around 7 if you want to eat before the games begin. We just need to know approx how many can possibly make it ? Let me know here or email me at [email protected]
Old Feb 10th 2009, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Desert44
Hi,

I'm looking for a quality 4/5 bedroom villa (idealy modern with swimming pool)in Al Ain as I'm struggling to find one in Abu Dhabi which is where I work, so I'm considering Al Ain.

I'd love to know what's it like to live there...I have wife and two kids (9 & 15)
What would be the commute time to AD
Also, what are the schools like with British Ciriculam, is it easy to find places,
what is the fees?

Appreciate any help on this.

Many thanks
Desert.. . I currently have 2 villas with swimming pools available. What is your price range ? Both are 5 bedroom villas. First one is near airport and swimming pool needs tile repair before filling which can be done. This villa also has a 2nd 2 bedroom villa with kitchen on same property that is included in the rent. As well is a room for changing after swimming. All of this for 1 price. The 2nd villa has a pool and it brand new. I haven't seen this place yet but the owner is extremely nice and we can arrange a look. Both owners will take 2 cheques. Just let me know :0)

Melanie
Old Feb 10th 2009, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

If anyone will be at the Intercontinental tonight at the Horse & Jockey, please come say hi to me and hubby... I'll be the red head in white blouse, he in a blue/white hawaiian looking shirt with a scratch on his nose ( the cat got him good today !! ) look us up if there

melanie
Old Feb 10th 2009, 4:06 pm
Is not impressed...

Aikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really nice

Muminamini... Welcome to Al Ain! if I recall you have children the same ages as mine (roughly 2 and 4) and I also live in Zakher. If you'd like to meet sometime we'd be glad to help you find things here as we are new arrivals too. I'll PM you our contact info.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

muminamini is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh the quiz sounds good fun but with two littlies I'm not able to make it (plus you'll probably have been finished by now!) Just didn't want you to think I was ignoring the invite! :-)

Thank you for the PM's my mission now is to sort a mobile out so I can contact you all!!! You are all very kind! If I don't get sorted out before I will definatley meet at the Hilton on Thursday!!!!

Aikman - delighted to hear you have littlies too - hope to catch up with you on Thursday - if that is no good for you don't worry I will ring you when I get my phone sorted.

I am going to bed a happy little expat at the thought of meeting up with you all!

Night xxxx
Old Feb 10th 2009, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Aikman7981
Muminamini... Welcome to Al Ain! if I recall you have children the same ages as mine (roughly 2 and 4) and I also live in Zakher. If you'd like to meet sometime we'd be glad to help you find things here as we are new arrivals too. I'll PM you our contact info.

Anthony, please invite your wife to accompany us Thursday morning at 10:30. Gracie, I and a few others will be meeting for coffee and to finally meet. Please PM Amazing Grace as she has all the specs for Thursday and is leading this venue

Last edited by sassypilotswife; Feb 10th 2009 at 6:51 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

Texan8997 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the invite as well sassypilotswife! However, at this time we are still stateside. My husband will head over there the first part of March and I will follow when my 4-year-old finishes up school.

Muminamini & Aikman7981 It sounds like several of us have children around the same age - I have a 4-year-old boy and a "just-turned-2" 2-year-old girl. Do any of you live near the Zoo? That is where my husband's project is, so we will probably live close to there.

My main concern is schooling as I am sure yours is as well. I will post any new information I come across.

We are all very excited for the move and we look forward to meeting you all.

Thanks!
CK
Old Feb 11th 2009, 5:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Amazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond repute

No where is really far away from the Zoo, Al Ain is a lovely city but not huge. Hili district, Al Quattara are just a couple but best wait till you arrive.

I also just wanted to say it might be a good idea to keep all the questions and information on one thread. This one is very long but it has got so much information about accomodation, schools, recreation etc. Welcome to anyone who has just arrived in Al Ain and what's keeping the rest of you
Old Feb 11th 2009, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

ozkingy is on a distinguished road

Hey team. My family and I are settling in well now. We are really enjoying Al Ain. We hav decided that we would like to employ a full-time maid, either live-in or live-out. Have any of you had much to do with maids in Al Ain? I have some friends from Dubai who have given me advice, but not much from Al Ain. Any tips for a first-time employer? What would be a resonable wage for live in?

Cheers all,

Kingy.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

shammy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozkingy
Hey team. My family and I are settling in well now. We are really enjoying Al Ain. We hav decided that we would like to employ a full-time maid, either live-in or live-out. Have any of you had much to do with maids in Al Ain? I have some friends from Dubai who have given me advice, but not much from Al Ain. Any tips for a first-time employer? What would be a resonable wage for live in?

Cheers all,

Kingy.
Hi Kingy,
Glad to hear you have settled in well. We have an ethiopian live in maid, whom we sponsor, and we are very happy with the arrangement. She has a friend who is currently looking for a live in position if you are interested. She is living in Al Ain at the moment and I could arrange an interview for you. The advantage is that this way you do not have to pay an agency fee, and you get to speak to the person before they are shipped out for you from whichever country they live in - which is how the agencies run things. Wages vary - agencies charge Dhs700 per month, we pay Dhs1200 per month, we feel that in this case you get what you pay for, and we are happy to get someone really good who can think on their feet when looking after the kids. Either way you will have to pay for their sponsorship which is Dhs 5000, and pay for a return trip to their home every 2 years. Anything else is negotiated - if they buy their food, or you do, uniform, extra duties - like babysitting at night, etc.
Cheers
Shammy
Old Feb 11th 2009, 4:21 pm
Is not impressed...

Aikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really nice

[/QUOTE]
Muminamini & Aikman7981 It sounds like several of us have children around the same age - I have a 4-year-old boy and a "just-turned-2" 2-year-old girl. Do any of you live near the Zoo? That is where my husband's project is, so we will probably live close to there.

My main concern is schooling as I am sure yours is as well. I will post any new information I come across.

We are all very excited for the move and we look forward to meeting you all.

Thanks!
CK[/QUOTE]

Yup, we live quite close to the zoo. Seems that the neighborhoods around this area are fairly nice and quiet. Project at the zoo eh? Sounds interesting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.