Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Help! I'm moving to Saudi and lost!

Help! I'm moving to Saudi and lost!

Old Apr 17th 2006, 8:36 am
Just Joined

Digimax has much to be proud ofDigimax has much to be proud ofDigimax has much to be proud ofDigimax has much to be proud ofDigimax has much to be proud ofDigimax has much to be proud ofDigimax has much to be proud ofDigimax has much to be proud ofDigimax has much to be proud ofDigimax has much to be proud ofDigimax has much to be proud of
Default Re: Help! I'm moving to Saudi and lost!

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
That's just pointless.
Sense at last !!
Old Apr 17th 2006, 8:37 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Digimax
Well actually yes I did always feel comfortable walking around.A trip around Riyadh of jeddah is much like anywhere else in the ME - just respect the local culture and all will be ok - unlike DXB i may add - try walking up SZR after midnight and fight your way past all the drunken yobs,snogging couples,and half naked girls - is that what you came to the ME for ??
As for the traffic - yes it is not the best driving environment but compared to here - get real !!
Not sure of your appearance, but I do not know any westerners who feel comfortable walking around Riyadh or Jeddah...I'd rather try crossing SZR at midnight then be on foot in Saudi.

Traffic...yes it is bad here, driving standards are a completely different story.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 8:39 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Sense at last !!
Sorry, forgot to add this little fella:

Old Apr 17th 2006, 9:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud of

If you mean its useless to discuss a point,then surely thats up to you.But to make a point on this particular issue then surely its beneficial to have actually lived in KSA so you then know what you are trying to make a point about -if you havent.then maybe you shouldnt make a point at all
My father lived there for more than a year,I think he doesnt have to lie or exaggerate to his own son,especially as in our business we have more than a dozen Saudi national customers and also foreigners living in there,they all tell the same story....Whatever your version maybe,it is not going to change my perception of that country.....
Its not Eldorado we are talking about....
Old Apr 17th 2006, 9:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by shoushou
My father lived there for more than a year,I think he doesnt have to lie or exaggerate to his own son,especially as in our business we have more than a dozen Saudi national customers and also foreigners living in there,they all tell the same story....Whatever your version maybe,it is not going to change my perception of that country.....

TINO!
Old Apr 17th 2006, 9:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by willmore
TINO!
Willmore!!!!! My main man!!!!!!!
Old Apr 17th 2006, 10:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Willmore!!!!! My main man!!!!!!!
TINO - MY MAIN WOMAN!!!!

ESH IAKOT!
Old Apr 17th 2006, 10:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by willmore
TINO - MY MAIN WOMAN!!!!

ESH IAKOT!
Khiar!!!!!
Old Apr 17th 2006, 10:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Khiar!!!!!
Toun esh es!
Old Apr 17th 2006, 10:59 am
Just Joined

Digimax has much to be proud ofDigimax has much to be proud ofDigimax has much to be proud ofDigimax has much to be proud ofDigimax has much to be proud ofDigimax has much to be proud ofDigimax has much to be proud ofDigimax has much to be proud ofDigimax has much to be proud ofDigimax has much to be proud ofDigimax has much to be proud of

But no one said were talking about ElDorado - I think the original question was about KSA - the point being that if anyone is going to move to another country they should at least have the noddin to check out the background to the place first - No one is saying that KSA is like Dubai,UK or even the Lebanon - it has its faults but also its advantages ( ability to earn lots of dosh being a major one),women are not treated as equals,but neither are they in DXB or even the UK - its all a matter of choice - some women like playing the cute retiring little housewife
Old Apr 17th 2006, 11:37 am
Banned

CasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond repute

If Saudia is Bad Ok Its Bad. Khallas End of the Story.

Over 9Million people live there are all lunatics, only "YOU" on the internet 24/7 are a very Clever Guy.

You guys have No clue about ME of whatsoever! Those were the Brits like "Lawerence and Sir Wilfred" People who have left their Marks here forever.

But the problem lies with the ME govs! They allowed them enter this country with Visas issued.

We need to Check the Quality of Expats that are coming here... Its clearly seems we are running out of it.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 1:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

But no one said were talking about ElDorado
I was sure you were making it sound like it was a very very nice place....

I think the original question was about KSA - the point being that if anyone is going to move to another country they should at least have the noddin to check out the background to the place first
The guy is checking the place out,yes,but he is refusing to listen to the overwhelming majority....

No one is saying that KSA is like Dubai,UK or even the Lebanon - it has its faults but also its advantages ( ability to earn lots of dosh being a major one),women are not treated as equals,but neither are they in DXB or even the UK - its all a matter of choice - some women like playing the cute retiring little housewife
Faults; it has too many....Advantages;money isnt everything....
Yes,women are not being treated as equals but so is everyone who isnt a Saudi national....
In my honest opinion,KSA will never be like anywhere else,period....
Old Apr 17th 2006, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

Mellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to behold

women are not treated as equals,but neither are they in DXB or even the UK - its all a matter of choice - some women like playing the cute retiring little housewife

Give me just a small break. NOT all women like playing the retiring little wifie. As a british woman there, once it all kicked off in Riyadh I only ever left the compound to do essential shopping, go to Bahrain for a weekend or to leave. Yes, your earning capacity is greatly increased. But this guy is talking about his british wife, a convert to Islam she may be, working as a Nanny in KSA. This isnt going to be like nannying for some family in Notting Hill or Holland Park in London. The only nannies I have ever seen, were NOT nannies, they were phillipino 'maids', and they looked thoroughly miserable.

Look Ironnaz, there are other countries to go to to earn a quick buck, why put yourself and your wife at risk by going there? You say you are of Indian descent? well I agree with another poster, you will find it extremely hard. If she is a nanny, that will mean that she will live with the family and you will have to live elsewhere and I would imagine seeing her is going to be rare.

Like I said before, we made some fantastic friends there, and actually had a pretty good social life, but the constant worry about your and your family safety takes its toll.

Either way, it seems to me that he's made his mind up. It doesnt appear that he's prepared to take any notice either of people who have been there.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 3:01 pm
Follow Your Heart

ZooZ has much to be proud ofZooZ has much to be proud ofZooZ has much to be proud ofZooZ has much to be proud ofZooZ has much to be proud ofZooZ has much to be proud ofZooZ has much to be proud ofZooZ has much to be proud ofZooZ has much to be proud ofZooZ has much to be proud ofZooZ has much to be proud of

You can always live in Bahrain and commute to Saudi.. I have few friends doing this now after living for years in Saudi..

Guys... you need to have a break and find something to laugh about...

right this is a good perspective about all the ME...

HOW ME COUNTRIES DEAL WITH COWS:

AN EGYPTIAN SYSTEM:
You have two cows. Both are voting for Mobarak!

DUBAI SYSTEM:
You have two cows. You create a website for them and advertise them in all magazines. You create a Cow City or Milk Town for them. You sell off their milk before the cows have even been milked to both legit and shaddy investors who hope to resale the non-existent milk for a 100% profiting two years time. You bring Tiger Woods to milk the cow first to attract attention.

QATAR SYSTEM:
You have two cows. They've been sitting there for decades and no one realizes that cows can produce milk. You see what Dubai is doing, you go crazy and start milking the heck out of the cows boobs in the shortest time possible. Then you realize no one wanted the milk in the first place.

SAUDI SYSTEM:
Since milking the cow involves nipples, the gov't decides to ban all cows in public. Women are not allowed to come near the cows as this is seen as Lesbian activity. The only method to milk a cow is to have a cow in on one side of the curtain and the guy milking the cow on the other while being closely observed by an ever changing team of expat managers surrounded by concrete barrecade and special forces.

BAHRAIN SYSTEM:
You have two cows. Some high gov't official steals one, milks it, sells the milk and pockets the profit. The gov't tells you there is just one cow and not enough milk for the people. The people riot and scream death to the gov?t and carry Iranian flags. The Parliament, after thinking for 11 months, decide to employ ten Bahrainis to milk all the cows at the same time so cut back on unemployment.

LEBANON SYSTEM:
You have two cows. One is owned by Syria and the other is suspected to be a time bomb.

ZooZ
Old Apr 17th 2006, 3:11 pm
W10

But no one said were talking about ElDorado - I think the original question was about KSA - the point being that if anyone is going to move to another country they should at least have the noddin to check out the background to the place first - No one is saying that KSA is like Dubai,UK or even the Lebanon - it has its faults but also its advantages ( ability to earn lots of dosh being a major one),women are not treated as equals,but neither are they in DXB or even the UK - its all a matter of choice - some women like playing the cute retiring little housewife
Very pithy...I like it.

However.

You were trying to say that Saudi isn't a dangerous place for Westerners.

From the people I know who currently live there, and the people I know who used to (as I mentioned - a mixture of Arabs and Westerners) all say otherwise. So you are the first person in more than 20 who I know with personal experience of the country who say it is a nice place.

You're also ignoring blatant facts (re the driving - Saudi is THE most dangerous country in the world for driving. In almost every measurable way, it has the highest death rate on the roads on the entire planet.)

And just to bite at CN again

Mate - if you fat assed Khaleejis and your equally useless kinfolk from elsewhere in the Gulf could get off their thick asses for 10 minutes and do some work (or even have the brain power to figure out how to switch their computers on), then you could kick us all out instead of complaining about us.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.