Covid 19

Old Mar 8th 2020, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Covid 19

Originally Posted by Millhouse
They might kill grandma
Also not the school's problem.
Old Mar 8th 2020, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

HiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
Also not the school's problem.
I think the school must take some moral responsibility in certain circumstances. Where Grandma to have been inadvertently eaten as a result of confusion born out of a lack of punctuation for instance.
Old Mar 8th 2020, 12:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Lul37
Of course I’m not saying that schools must remain open if there are concerns for the health of the students.

I’m asking if parents are entitled to a reduction in school fees for this time period. Online learning just cannot be of the same quality as in school learning.

Do you think the teachers are putting in the same effort coming into work without any students and posting materials online??
Honestly, your kids are still at primary school (maybe 11yo is in yr7). Neither of which are important stages. Just stop paying, let them get kicked out and homeschool them.

Every school principal in the last week has had every single argument, reason, justification, threat, lie, beg, shout, swear under the sun. They (probably) do care a great deal that your kids still get taught. Teachers still (probably) care that the kids still get taught. None of them want it to be like this, teachers have all lost out having to cancel or change their holidays from Easter to now, only to find out the 14 day quarantine when they're back will be unpaid if it crosses into the new term times. There's people going to lose half a months salary for doing what they were told, only for the rules to change....again. They're all pretty ****ed off too. But again - what do they expect? THe schools can't control this. The chairman of a big school company out here was with the ministry late last week in the evening practically begging them not to **** around with the holidays. No chance. Everyone's getting shafted and it sucks.

Find that bit of excitement around it. Use it. Make the kids follow the disease around the world. Make them colour in maps because of it. Work out %s of people. Draw it. Rename it. Invent their own. Use it to make them think and learn in different ways. It's a goldmine of opportunity to be honest. Then make one of them go and buy the bog roll.

If I was really mean I'd say something along the lines of - if you can't get your kids to sit down, shut up and listen to a lesson - however it is delivered - then you probably shouldn't send them to school because they must be a horrible disruption for everyone else.
Old Mar 8th 2020, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Honestly, your kids are still at primary school (maybe 11yo is in yr7). Neither of which are important stages. Just stop paying, let them get kicked out and homeschool them.

Every school principal in the last week has had every single argument, reason, justification, threat, lie, beg, shout, swear under the sun. They (probably) do care a great deal that your kids still get taught. Teachers still (probably) care that the kids still get taught. None of them want it to be like this, teachers have all lost out having to cancel or change their holidays from Easter to now, only to find out the 14 day quarantine when they're back will be unpaid if it crosses into the new term times. There's people going to lose half a months salary for doing what they were told, only for the rules to change....again. They're all pretty ****ed off too. But again - what do they expect? THe schools can't control this. The chairman of a big school company out here was with the ministry late last week in the evening practically begging them not to **** around with the holidays. No chance. Everyone's getting shafted and it sucks.

Find that bit of excitement around it. Use it. Make the kids follow the disease around the world. Make them colour in maps because of it. Work out %s of people. Draw it. Rename it. Invent their own. Use it to make them think and learn in different ways. It's a goldmine of opportunity to be honest. Then make one of them go and buy the bog roll.

If I was really mean I'd say something along the lines of - if you can't get your kids to sit down, shut up and listen to a lesson - however it is delivered - then you probably shouldn't send them to school because they must be a horrible disruption for everyone else.
Like it!
Old Mar 8th 2020, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

Lul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond repute

All fair enough I suppose to those who get their school fees paid by their company.

As for me, I’m just going to hold out on paying the term 3 fees just yet.

To be honest, if the school closure remains until June I would rather home school my children myself (which it seems like I’m going to be doing anyways), and access a home schooling program from the UK for a fraction of the price.

Yes school is not for childcare it’s for accessing education, but this is still exactly why the UK won’t shut their schools. Most parents won’t be able to go to work if schools shut down and economy will grind to a halt.
Scamp you didn’t see what I wrote above. I’m more than happy homeschooling my kids, I’m just not happy paying the school for doing it.

Yes this whole thing sucks for everyone not just the school. It’s no one’s fault this happened. It’s an inconvenience for the parents as well. I will have to quit my part time job in sales now stay home and make sure they do their school work online. It’s not worth getting a nanny as I earn so little as it is.

Also in case your interested, i do spend quality time with my children doing lots of varied activities, and no they do not have behavioral issues at home or in school, but it would be unrealistic for me to expect them to do their online learning unsupervised at home on their own for two weeks.

Last edited by Lul37; Mar 8th 2020 at 2:54 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2020, 3:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like it’s one less inbound real estate phone by a person with an out of date list. Every cloud and all that.
Old Mar 8th 2020, 5:41 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Of course I’m not saying that schools must remain open if there are concerns for the health of the students.

I’m asking if parents are entitled to a reduction in school fees for this time period. Online learning just cannot be of the same quality as in school learning.

Do you think the teachers are putting in the same effort coming into work without any students and posting materials online??
Ultimately the schools are a business and what is happening now is unprecedented. They are adapting as best they can to a fast changing situation, I don't think now is the time to be asking for some discount, in the scheme of things its not that important.
Teachers need to be paid, upkeep for school facilities still needs to be paid (even if they are empty).

Had I not just left the UAE, I'd still pay the fee's for my daughter as at some point things will have to return to some sort of normality. And I'd hope that her school had not closed because parents refused to pay the fee's when there was a global crisis.

Old Mar 8th 2020, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

Lul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Ultimately the schools are a business and what is happening now is unprecedented. They are adapting as best they can to a fast changing situation, I don't think now is the time to be asking for some discount, in the scheme of things its not that important.
Teachers need to be paid, upkeep for school facilities still needs to be paid (even if they are empty).

Had I not just left the UAE, I'd still pay the fee's for my daughter as at some point things will have to return to some sort of normality. And I'd hope that her school had not closed because parents refused to pay the fee's when there was a global crisis.
Funny that, if schools are a business then who are it’s customers?? And just like other businesses who will get hit by this crisis, why would schools in particular be immune to any losses?

I would sincerely want and hope the schools to reopen next month and if they do, I’m more than happy paying that term in full but I’m not going to hold my breath until that happens.

It’s interesting though I haven’t received any email from the school just yet about outstanding fees for next term, maybe I’m not the only crazy one..

Old Mar 8th 2020, 7:49 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Shia lockdown

https://www.arabnews.com/node/1638541/saudi-arabia
Old Mar 8th 2020, 7:50 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

School shutdown.

https://www.arabnews.com/node/1638606/saudi-arabia
Old Mar 9th 2020, 3:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Standanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond repute

Effective as of today, Qatar has temporarily banned arrivals from Bangladesh, China, Egypt, India, Iran, Iraq, Lebanon, Nepal, Pakistan, Philippines, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Syria and Thailand. Qatar Airways had already suspended flights to and from Italy.
Old Mar 9th 2020, 4:27 am

KSA suspends travel for nationals and expats.

https://www.arabnews.com/node/1638746/saudi-arabia

Can only see more and more travel restrictions coming in.
Old Mar 9th 2020, 5:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand why KSA has stopped arrivals from UAE when there are literally no cases here, thanks to our excellent healthcare system, thorough checks and transparent reporting system.
Old Mar 9th 2020, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

HiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I don't understand why KSA has stopped arrivals from UAE when there are literally no cases here, thanks to our excellent healthcare system, thorough checks and transparent reporting system.
The UAE is reporting 4.5 cases per million people. KSA is reporting 0.4 cases per million people. KSA is following the UK model and is in Phase 1 'delay'. By reducing the very high number of travelers between UAE and KSA they delay the rise in cases in KSA to the levels of those in UAE. The UAE by reducing access to Iran does the same. KSA is also now moving to restriction movement to the part of the country effected. Its a timing game by reducing those effected they push the peek out of the traditional flu season. The experts are not claiming this is a iron clad approach but most think its a reasonable one although it is not universally accepted.
The EU on the other hand has not adopted any controls or only local ones and the statistics show the alternative results. Minimising cross contamination might be inconvenient but it does appear to be effective.

Old Mar 9th 2020, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

Qatar with 15 reported cases is now preventing entry from 14 countries.

Qatar announced Sunday that it its temporarily banning the entry of travelers from 14 countries due to concerns over the novel coronavirus.The ban covers Bangladesh, China, Egypt, India, Iran, Iraq, Lebanon, Nepal, Pakistan, the Philippines, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Syria and Thailand. Qataris were also called on not to visit the countries unless it is absolutely necessary. The statement came as the Ministry of Health reported three more cases of the coronavirus, officially known as COVID-19, bringing the total to 15. The latest cases were all foreigners from the same country who were living in the same flat.

Pretty much every foreign worker in Qatar is now prevented from leaving or returning. Sort of makes Doha the worlds biggest gaol.

Seems very strange Italy, UK and USA are not on this list. No mention of Hong Kong or Macau which also make most other lists as well.

Last edited by martinbkk; Mar 9th 2020 at 7:44 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.