Covid 19

Old Mar 18th 2020, 2:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Covid 19

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Another decent perspective. Argument is partly that we are rushing blindly without really understanding the data or even enough data.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/17/...reliable-data/
John P.A. Ioannidis is professor of medicine, of epidemiology and population health, of biomedical data science, and of statistics at Stanford University and co-director of Stanford’s Meta-Research Innovation Center.
I think if modelers or experts or governments had the luxury of time to do more research we wouldn't be questioning what's happening. Extremes in any direction either doing nothing or 'too much' are a gamble. The article makes an interesting point about flattening the curve...operating at peak for X months or operate at 'what-the-****-do-we-do' for a month might have an equal or worse impact. I wonder if world leaders (like you have to assume this guy is) are consulted for predictions - that's all we can really work on until more data becomes available.
Old Mar 18th 2020, 2:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maxima
Its not going to disappear even if the whole world shuts down for 2 weeks. It will resurface after people get back to normal, but bit less lethal than before
why less lethal?

why not exactly the same?

or maybe it’ll hunker down in a few people and come back as a super killer bug.

Old Mar 18th 2020, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Standanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Yeah, hence the last minute movement. I think I'll end up going for 24-36hours. In and out quick smart.
I hope you have more success than me. Left Qatar for a quick trip to the UK on Friday. Official announcement on Sunday was that we had till midnight tonight (Wednesday) to get back in. Bought a ticket on Monday at Gatwick for an horrendous price, went to check-in and was told the border had already closed that afternoon to non-Qataris. Hence am writing this from a pub in Skipton.

The Qatar authorities have commandeered several upscale Doha hotels to quarantine returning Qataris for 14 days. Nobody else gets in.
Old Mar 18th 2020, 2:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Standanista
I hope you have more success than me. Left Qatar for a quick trip to the UK on Friday. Official announcement on Sunday was that we had till midnight tonight (Wednesday) to get back in. Bought a ticket on Monday at Gatwick for an horrendous price, went to check-in and was told the border had already closed that afternoon to non-Qataris. Hence am writing this from a pub in Skipton.

The Qatar authorities have commandeered several upscale Doha hotels to quarantine returning Qataris for 14 days. Nobody else gets in.
If it smells like that sort of risk I'll obviously have to postpone, but it's to do the legalities for my wedding, so of reasonable importance - regardless of whether the wedding ends up moving later.
She's done her part so I need to do mine within a time frame.

Anyway - UAE announced no travel for citizens and quarantine for returners it would seem (not personally checked, just received forwards from people)
Old Mar 18th 2020, 2:53 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Maxima
Its not going to disappear even if the whole world shuts down for 2 weeks. It will resurface after people get back to normal, but bit less lethal than before
Of course it isn't but if everyone locked down for a month say, then in theory those with it would get over it, those without it wouldn't get it. Then someone somewhere would have to ****/eat another bat to pick up where we started again....

But that would involve people doing what they're told....
Old Mar 18th 2020, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Standanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
If it smells like that sort of risk I'll obviously have to postpone, but it's to do the legalities for my wedding, so of reasonable importance - regardless of whether the wedding ends up moving later.
She's done her part so I need to do mine within a time frame.

Anyway - UAE announced no travel for citizens and quarantine for returners it would seem (not personally checked, just received forwards from people)
Tough call.

Remote working from the UK's alright as long as the lockdown doesn't stretch too far past April 6th.
Old Mar 18th 2020, 3:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I need to go back to the office. It's not the isolation, continual webex, or the cabin fever that's driving my hate for forced WFH. It's the living with my housemaid all day every day. She is currently stinking of garlic as is now eating a bulb a day (raw, off a spoon) to fend off the virus and keep her blood pressure down. She is now in the garden bringing in all the cushions as she has read on facebook that the government will be crop-spraying disinfectant from helicopters this evening to kill off the virus.

I'd say you couldn't make it up... but clearly someone did.
Old Mar 19th 2020, 12:14 am
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Better rethink your plans Scamp

https://gulfnews.com/uae/government/....1584569904455
Old Mar 19th 2020, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I need to go back to the office. It's not the isolation, continual webex, or the cabin fever that's driving my hate for forced WFH. It's the living with my housemaid all day every day. She is currently stinking of garlic as is now eating a bulb a day (raw, off a spoon) to fend off the virus and keep her blood pressure down. She is now in the garden bringing in all the cushions as she has read on facebook that the government will be crop-spraying disinfectant from helicopters this evening to kill off the virus.

I'd say you couldn't make it up... but clearly someone did.
I had the coconut oil and turmeric solution advised to me yesterday by our Keralan contingent . Must be rubbed on the body before 6am . All cultures are equal apparently
Old Mar 19th 2020, 5:23 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by hnd
Yep. There goes that plan.
Semi hoping it'll be limited to two weeks, not extended. If so I might be able to nip in and out.
If not, I'll just delay it all by a while and hope it doesn't result in complications - a bit unknown but such is.
Old Mar 19th 2020, 5:30 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

It'll be extended. Basically, to forecast how this will play out, assume that everything shit that could happen, will happen.
Old Mar 19th 2020, 5:37 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by csdf
It'll be extended. Basically, to forecast how this will play out, assume that everything shit that could happen, will happen.
Absolutely. But if it makes a difference then an inconveniences has got to be worth it.
Old Mar 19th 2020, 6:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by csdf
My guess is September.
Old Mar 19th 2020, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

HiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond repute

She is currently stinking of garlic as is now eating a bulb a day (raw, off a spoon) to fend off the virus.
No one said you were a virus Millhouse but maybe ditch the black cap and tails about the house

Old Mar 19th 2020, 6:30 am
Account Closed

My guess is September.
I think long before then there'll be a compromise with travel - there'll be actual screening or something to make it possible, even if limited / restricted

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.