Car Advice - UAE

Old Jan 30th 2014, 11:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Advice - UAE

Originally Posted by The_Citizen
I know this is going to sound really boring but I just want something a bit as you say boring, cheap and sensible and then in a couple of years get something a bit more fun

I did look at the explorer but not sure what they are like off road.

I think I am definitely going to buy 2nd hand though unless I find a really good offer. Looking around the 80,000 AED mark at the moment.
they are advertising a passat for just under 86k
Old Jan 30th 2014, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to all

Originally Posted by busybee2
the passat seems a good price best time for deals are when the new models come in and ramadan can you wait?
I did think about that, had a hire car for long enough so wouldn't be to bad I suppose.
Old Jan 30th 2014, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busybee2
they are advertising a passat for just under 86k
get a golf instead
Old Jan 31st 2014, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
You're driving to AD and back aren't you?

Jeep Wrangler probably isn't going to be the comfiest option...
The new ones (2012) with the new Penstar engines are more than fine for longer journeys. Prob similar in comfort to your Exploder.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 3:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by jam25mack
The new ones (2012) with the new Penstar engines are more than fine for longer journeys. Prob similar in comfort to your Exploder.
I'll take your word for it. Never got why my mate had a manual one out here.

I was taught how to drive in an N-reg one in Greece. Anything is easy to drive now. In fact, part two, once I'd gained my license was to reverse it with a trailer, pick up a 34ft boat, drive back up the ramp and reverse it alongside. As a 17yr old it was terrifying but I'd back myself to do it again.

Top quality motor that, still running and had a new battery and a new set of tyres, it's lived in the UK, Spain and Crete. I kind of hope it's left to me in the will (no time soon though please )
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 5:52 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Scamp
I'll take your word for it. Never got why my mate had a manual one out here.

I was taught how to drive in an N-reg one in Greece. Anything is easy to drive now. In fact, part two, once I'd gained my license was to reverse it with a trailer, pick up a 34ft boat, drive back up the ramp and reverse it alongside. As a 17yr old it was terrifying but I'd back myself to do it again.

Top quality motor that, still running and had a new battery and a new set of tyres, it's lived in the UK, Spain and Crete. I kind of hope it's left to me in the will (no time soon though please )
Can't seem to find many that are newer than 2009 when I have been looking in RAK. I am trying to use a dealer where possible as it just seems a much easier process.

Seems that I can get a 2009 Jeep for 60k pretty easy but they have all done between 80k and 110k on the clock.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 6:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Can't seem to find many that are newer than 2009 when I have been looking in RAK. I am trying to use a dealer where possible as it just seems a much easier process.

Seems that I can get a 2009 Jeep for 60k pretty easy but they have all done between 80k and 110k on the clock.
big difference between a pre-2012 jeep and a post 2012 model.

One is shite, the other is good.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 6:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Millhouse
big difference between a pre-2012 jeep and a post 2012 model.

One is shite, the other is good.
pretty much!

Might have to do it through a private seller I think.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 4:43 am
BE Enthusiast

well after a bit of searching over the past few weeks it looks like I am getting a 2014 Jeep from the dealership.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

well after a bit of searching over the past few weeks it looks like I am getting a 2014 Jeep from the dealership.
nice

I'm selling my Dec 2006 Commander 4.7, 98k on the clock. A/C needs fixing. One owner...me

Abu Dhabi

ex-pat leaving

much cheapness

Old Feb 5th 2014, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flares
nice

I'm selling my Dec 2006 Commander 4.7, 98k on the clock. A/C needs fixing. One owner...me

Abu Dhabi

ex-pat leaving

much cheapness

A friend of mine is in the market for something like this. PM me if you want me to pass on your details to him.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

RKI_83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Guys, searching for a car on dubizzle - i needed some clarifications

Some cars state - "Japan import","American Spec".

How do these differ from GCC spec cars? Why do they tend to retail % lower than GCC?
Old Jun 30th 2014, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

flood2 will become famous soon enoughflood2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by RKI_83

How do these differ from GCC spec cars? Why do they tend to retail % lower than GCC?
Word of warning, a guy working for me in doha bought a US spec car from a local. Turns out it was a car from a big flood in new york and was written off in the US. Car was a wreck and he had no comeback.
Old Jul 1st 2014, 5:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

there is a lot of "grey" imports and gcc specs usually means better ac to cope amongst other things i suspect etc
Old Jul 1st 2014, 5:22 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

American Spec means US import which usually means accident cars bought cheap from a scrapyard and fixed cheaper in Sharjah. Sometimes this is not an issue as the accident is minor, ie panel damage but other times the car could have serious chassis issues which means it was written off as scrap in the US. If you buy from a dealer in Al Aweer he should provide you with the documentation proving type and extent of damage (if he cannot then walk away) and you can buy a report based on the VIN from Carfax.com. If it was written off in US it will say in the report.

Japanese import is very common as well. I believe you cannot insure cars older than 10 years in Japan and therefore people get rid. Also because a lot of people barely use their cars they are generally pretty low mileage. Same as for US cars you should get proof that the car is not a write-off and the mileage from the dealer. All reputable dealers have this as the auction houses they buy from provide it with the cars. If they don't have it walk then away.

Re GCC spec people always seem to focus on the power of the A/C. As far as I am aware this can be the case (especially if you compare with northern european spec), but in general it is more down to the options on the car. Sometimes they will have different seals in the engine (to keep the sand out) but not sure how widespread this actually is..

We have some car dealer types on the forum so perhaps they will pop along and give you their 5p as well shortly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.