Car Advice - UAE

Old Jun 11th 2013, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

abudhabinewbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car Advice - UAE

Hey Everyone

Need some advice on cars/SUV's. Cant decide whether to buy (60,000AED max) or hire a car for the duration of our stay which will most likely be 4 years

I will be doing big miles, around 600 miles a week and thinking if i buy a car it will just devalue rapidly but on the other hand it costs 2,500AED a month to hire a corolla/jetta which is insane!

What are the rest of you doing? Any advice would be appreciated as i am so indecisive and i have no idea about cars!

thanks
Old Jun 11th 2013, 12:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Advice - UAE

they are doing good offers now and into ramadan best time to buy, the different with buying is that it usually works out cheaper but then you have to do the registration, servicing etc etc, whereby with a rental you dont do anything, if you have a car accident they will give you another one, if you own your car and you have a car accident the insurance doesnt pay for another car (unless you pay extra and then for eg axa give you a rental for 7 days only!!). whats 600 miles a week? its nothing a lot of people drive that in a day... i am doing something like 200/300 miles a day!!!
Old Jun 11th 2013, 12:47 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Do the rental co's have a mileage limitation??
Old Jun 11th 2013, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

abudhabinewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

thrifty have no limit

SO do you rent or did you buy a car? Thats some mileage your doing!!
Old Jun 11th 2013, 6:14 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abudhabinewbie
thrifty have no limit

SO do you rent or did you buy a car? Thats some mileage your doing!!
That sort of KMs needs splitting between 2 cars or if there is no penalty with the rental co's I would be renting.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

Buy!
1000kms a week isn't a particularly high milage here. Buy yourself a japanese suv with a tyre mounted on the back door from a leaving expat and you will be quids in.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

I do between 600 and 1500km a week and I rent a crappy Yaris 1.3 which I thrash seven shades of s**t out of.

I used to use my own car (a modified 4.0L Jeep) but the drive was killing it and after that I had a 1.8L Corolla but that seemed to attract speed camera attention.

A 1.3 Yaris is the way to go. Basic, cruises at 140kmph and isn't fast enough to put your licence in danger / empty your wallet due to fines.

I pay 1600 AED a month hire plus Salik it comes in around 1750 ish.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

Originally Posted by jam25mack
I do between 600 and 1500km a week and I rent a crappy Yaris 1.3 which I thrash seven shades of s**t out of.

I used to use my own car (a modified 4.0L Jeep) but the drive was killing it and after that I had a 1.8L Corolla but that seemed to attract speed camera attention.

A 1.3 Yaris is the way to go. Basic, cruises at 140kmph and isn't fast enough to put your licence in danger / empty your wallet due to fines.

I pay 1600 AED a month hire plus Salik it comes in around 1750 ish.
Try renting something with cruise control!
Old Jun 12th 2013, 6:54 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack

And isn't fast enough to get you out of trouble or big enough to protect you when Abdul in his Patrol tail-ends you.

Buy a brand new Jetta. Even if its worth zilch after 4 years you'll still be quids in.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 7:04 am
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
And isn't fast enough to get you out of trouble or big enough to protect you when Abdul in his Patrol tail-ends you.

Buy a brand new Jetta. Even if its worth zilch after 4 years you'll still be quids in.

Chuck in insurance for 4 years, servicing a couple of sets of tyres and I can't see it being cheaper.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 7:24 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
Chuck in insurance for 4 years, servicing a couple of sets of tyres and I can't see it being cheaper.
I did a comparison when I was working in AD, and allowing for insurance, servicing and the like it was considerably cheaper to buy than hire. A former colleague has just come to AD and, not wanting to fork out a huge amount up front, has rented a Passat. Will cost him over £10k for a year. I can understand his reluctance to buy a depreciating asset when, given the capricousness of his employer he has bugger-all job security, but I still don't see that as a wise decision.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 7:34 am
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I did a comparison when I was working in AD, and allowing for insurance, servicing and the like it was considerably cheaper to buy than hire. A former colleague has just come to AD and, not wanting to fork out a huge amount up front, has rented a Passat. Will cost him over £10k for a year. I can understand his reluctance to buy a depreciating asset when, given the capricousness of his employer he has bugger-all job security, but I still don't see that as a wise decision.

Rental Buying

Repayment 96000 60000 (borrow 60k 48m)
Interest 0 12000
Servicing 0 13000
Insurance 0 10000
Tyres 0 2000

Total 96000 97000

Then try and sell a 4 year old 200k Jetta is your profit. This allows for no Accidents or major breakdowns, a service every 7500kms.

Bahtat is right in a way as you will have something to sell, my point is you wouldn't have enough to sell to make it worthwhile and you would have to be lucky to never have to rent a car in this period or have additional costs especially when the warranty runs out at 100k.

Edit :- looking at your previous comment a bigger car where the rental is higher works for buying, its at the small end it makes no sense.

Last edited by britexpat76; Jun 12th 2013 at 7:37 am. Reason: Bahtat also right
Old Jun 12th 2013, 8:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

My tuppence;

Hired Lancerghini
1550 per month
300 salik
---------
1850 per month / 88,800 for four years.

My Explorer
80,000 to buy

16,000 downpayment immediately.
1547 per month repayments
2no services a year = 2000
Tyres x2 sets = 3000 each set (1,500 per year)
Salik 300 per month
Insurance 4000/3500 so far, so say for four years it's 4,3.5,3,3
---------

Monthly:
2,751 - inclusive of all of the above costs over 48 months (length of loan)

OR
132,048 for four years. Add on let's say 20% to original for interest, call it a total of 148,048
--------

Now, in another couple of years (when loan is gone) my Explorer will probably be worth 40,000. Let's say I get 35,000 for it.

148,048-35,000 = 113,048

113,048 is 24,248 more than the Lancerghini would have cost me.

24,248 on a monthly basis over four years is: 505 AED per month.

That is less that I pay for Du, for Empower and just over half what I pay for my DEWA.

To me, 500 chips a month is money well spent to spend 60-90mins a day in relative comfort, comparative luxury and crucially, in something much safer.

PLUS: When visitors turn up and see a Lancer, you cannot possibly expect them to believe that you're living the dream out here...
Old Jun 12th 2013, 8:58 am
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by Scamp
My tuppence;

Hired Lancerghini
1550 per month
300 salik
---------
1850 per month / 88,800 for four years.

My Explorer
80,000 to buy

16,000 downpayment immediately.
1547 per month repayments
2no services a year = 2000
Tyres x2 sets = 3000 each set (1,500 per year)
Salik 300 per month
Insurance 4000/3500 so far, so say for four years it's 4,3.5,3,3
---------

Monthly:
2,751 - inclusive of all of the above costs over 48 months (length of loan)

OR
132,048 for four years. Add on let's say 20% to original for interest, call it a total of 148,048
--------

Now, in another couple of years (when loan is gone) my Explorer will probably be worth 40,000. Let's say I get 35,000 for it.

148,048-35,000 = 113,048

113,048 is 24,248 more than the Lancerghini would have cost me.

24,248 on a monthly basis over four years is: 505 AED per month.

That is less that I pay for Du, for Empower and just over half what I pay for my DEWA.

To me, 500 chips a month is money well spent to spend 60-90mins a day in relative comfort, comparative luxury and crucially, in something much safer.

PLUS: When visitors turn up and see a Lancer, you cannot possibly expect them to believe that you're living the dream out here...
You don't do 1000kms a week though matey and that doesn't factor in any accidents. Also you have an Exploder not a Jetta.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 9:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by britexpat76
You don't do 1000kms a week though matey and that doesn't factor in any accidents. Also you have an Exploder not a Jetta.
You're just upset because in one post I've demonstrated that I could flog cars using maths quicker than your entire grease-team of sales-chumps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.