Car Advice - UAE

Old Jun 12th 2013, 9:15 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Advice - UAE

Originally Posted by Scamp
You're just upset because in one post I've demonstrated that I could flog cars using maths quicker than your entire grease-team of sales-chumps
To be fair that's what I normally do, List it out between renting and buying and 98% of the time it pays to buy (and i flog them a car). The Maths Don't lie and in this case it simply doesn't work out.

And anyone can out flog my inept chumps!
Old Jun 12th 2013, 9:17 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by britexpat76
To be fair that's what I normally do, List it out between renting and buying and 98% of the time it pays to buy (and i flog them a car). The Maths Don't lie and in this case it simply doesn't work out.

And anyone can out flog my inept chumps!

I just see (from my very simple maths) that 500 chips a month to be in a bigger, safer, slightly better car is worth it. ESPECIALLY if smashing up to AD and back on that highway of doom.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 9:33 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
My tuppence;

Hired Lancerghini
1550 per month
300 salik
---------
1850 per month / 88,800 for four years.

My Explorer
80,000 to buy

Assume no deposit
2000 per month repayments
2no services a year = 2000 At 50000kms a year you need 5. QR5000
Tyres x4 sets = 3000 each set (1,500 per year) Change every 50k
Salik 300 per month
Insurance 4000/3500 so far, so say for four years it's 4,3.5,3,3
---------

Monthly:
2,751 - inclusive of all of the above costs over 48 months (length of loan) (3122)

OR
132,048 for four years. Add on let's say 20% to original for interest, call it a total of 148,048 I get 149,856
--------

Now, in another couple of years (when loan is gone) my Explorer will probably be worth 40,000.200kms, 25k Let's say I get 35,000 for it. Lets work on 20k

148,048-35,000 = 113,048
149,856 - 20,000 = 129,856

113,048 is 24,248 more than the Lancerghini would have cost me.

129,856 is 35,056 more than the chancer in a Lancer

24,248 on a monthly basis over four years is: 505 AED per month.

As above maths with my figures, 730 AED Per Month

That is less that I pay for Du, for Empower and just over half what I pay for my DEWA.

Lets be honest, 1 night out.

To me, 500 chips a month is money well spent to spend 60-90mins a day in relative comfort, comparative luxury and crucially, in something much safer.

PLUS: When visitors turn up and see a Lancer, you cannot possibly expect them to believe that you're living the dream out here...
So the moral of this epic story is, If you stretch your budget on buying the car from 60 to 80, you stretch your monthly budget by 700 over a Lancer you can have a far better car. Just hope you have no major repair bills after the warranty and hope the car is never off the road as these are not factored in!

I think we have this covered.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluelionesse
Try renting something with cruise control!
No! That'd be more expensive!

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
And isn't fast enough to get you out of trouble or big enough to protect you when Abdul in his Patrol tail-ends you.
You've obviously never seen my Yaris flying past you! As for Abdul.... Inshallah! If I was a safety freak I wouldn't drive over here, let alone ride sports bikes.

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Buy a brand new Jetta. Even if its worth zilch after 4 years you'll still be quids in.
I'd rather bolt wheels to my ears and feet and use my cock as a paddle than be seen driving a Jetta. VW's = pish! GTi's are OK if you want to be totally unoriginal and be like 70% of the other western expats, however, anything lower down the scale...... ewwww! I once had a Golf. The most hateful car I have ever driven!

So the moral of this epic story is, If you stretch your budget on buying the car from 60 to 80, you stretch your monthly budget by 700 over a Lancer you can have a far better car. Just hope you have no major repair bills after the warranty and hope the car is never off the road as these are not factored in!

I think we have this covered.
But that also doesn't build in any risk of taking out a car loan etc etc. Hire car + shit goes tits up and off to the airport you go. Car loan = shit goes tits up and you're stuck trying to flog an old knacker!

To be honest with you, I love cars and am currently getting the buying bug again now that my points have dropped off. The problem is, if I was to buy a car it wouldn't be a Jetta, Lancer or whatever, it's have to be something I would like to drive. The problem with this is I spend a lot of time on sites driving across nasty bumpy unmade roads.... I wonder what I have cost my hire car company in track rod ends, dampers and bushes in the last few years.

So for now, I'll stick with the Yaris...... if only they made a manual or if the Echo was still available - now that was a fun little car!
Attached Thumbnails Car Advice - UAE-dsc01726.jpg  
Old Jun 12th 2013, 1:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Toyota do some cracking deals on ex-demos. I'd buy one of them.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 2:38 pm
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Toyota do some cracking deals on ex-demos. I'd buy one of them.
60k max gets a corolla.......
Old Jun 12th 2013, 3:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

60k max gets a corolla.......
I think it would be a bit less than that given my recent experience !
Old Jun 12th 2013, 3:40 pm
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I think it would be a bit less than that given my recent experience !
This is true. You should charge people a commission and sort it out for them!
Old Jun 12th 2013, 4:53 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Nissan Sunny Classic hire car for me, QR2200 per month (QR1800 if I factor in off-hire periods when I head home). No servicing, accident repairs, tyre bills, courtesy car etc. and I can toss the keys back anytime. No issue with street-cred either, I couldn't give a shit what other drivers think.

[J]
Old Jun 12th 2013, 6:13 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
Nissan Sunny Classic hire car for me, QR2200 per month (QR1800 if I factor in off-hire periods when I head home). No servicing, accident repairs, tyre bills, courtesy car etc. and I can toss the keys back anytime. No issue with street-cred either, I couldn't give a shit what other drivers think.

[J]
That kinda makes sense, except if you have to travel between AD and Dubai--I probably weigh more than a Nissan Sunny Classic.

BTW, what's "classic" about it?
Old Jun 13th 2013, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

abudhabinewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

cheers for all the responses guys. spoke to a few rentals and i can get a kia sportage for 2,600 per month on a 2 year contract.

On the other hand i can buy a 2012 Sportage with 50,000km for around AED 55k

looking at your responses some of you mentioned servicing your car every 7,500km. why so often? back in the UK its every 10-12,000 miles?!?

My maths is not the best so working on the above prices can one of you mathematicians work out what would be best?
Old Jun 13th 2013, 6:37 am
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by abudhabinewbie
cheers for all the responses guys. spoke to a few rentals and i can get a kia sportage for 2,600 per month on a 2 year contract.

looking at your responses some of you mentioned servicing your car every 7,500km. why so often? back in the UK its every 10-12,000 miles?!?

My maths is not the best so working on the above prices can one of you mathematicians work out what would be best?
The sand and dust here wreck your filters and the heat degrades the fluids quicker. I shall do the sportage Maths for you at work but from someone in the business as much as it pains me, rent.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 7:34 am
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by abudhabinewbie

Renting will cost 2,400 pm or 62,400

Buying,

2 Years,

55,000 + (interest) 10% 60,500
Insurance 2 years 4 % 5,000
Servicing x 10 10,000
Tyres x 2 5,000
Salik 6,000

Buying will cost 3,604 pm or 86,500

You will have a car to sell at the end of it though with 150kms on lets say 20,000 back, its still more expensive and after 100k you will have no warranty so if anything goes wrong you will be paying and if its serious and in the workshop for a few days you will need a hire car.

Going over 3 years brings the cost down to about 2700..........Seriously put the kms on someone else's car. But double, double check no mileage penalties as we have 2 rates here, low and high. High gives you 100kms a day and after that you are paying QR1 per km.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 7:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Renting will cost 2,400 pm or 62,400

Buying,

2 Years,

55,000 + (interest) 10% 60,500
Insurance 2 years 4 % 5,000
Servicing x 10 10,000
Tyres x 2 5,000
Salik 6,000

Buying will cost 3,604 pm or 86,500

You will have a car to sell at the end of it though with 150kms on lets say 20,000 back, its still more expensive and after 100k you will have no warranty so if anything goes wrong you will be paying and if its serious and in the workshop for a few days you will need a hire car.

Going over 3 years brings the cost down to about 2700..........Seriously put the kms on someone else's car. But double, double check no mileage penalties as we have 2 rates here, low and high. High gives you 100kms a day and after that you are paying QR1 per km.
Salik should be exlcuded from this calculation -- or included on both sides ofthe equation.

I'd buy a second hand car and drive it to the ground. Fix it in a cheap indian garage. simples.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

abudhabinewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

ok best quote i have been given is 2450 AED per month for a 2012 sportage. Conditions are that i keep it for 2 years and 60,000km per year max - 0.5AED per every KM over

for an extra 200 AED per month will give me CDW insurance - do i need this or should i just keep it to third party?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.