Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Can't afford Abu Dhabi...

Can't afford Abu Dhabi...

Old Jul 25th 2012, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Can't afford Abu Dhabi...

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
Perhaps for certain specific types of positions some of this material might be relevant but by and large the whole "Facebook cost me my job" media hysteria is massive exaggeration. I have never encountered this kind of research neither in any interview process of which I have been part, nor practised by any of my employers. It exists, no doubt, but only by exception as it is extremely time-consuming and of minimal value to an employer so why bother anyway....
I think alot of the hysteria stems from people probably befriending their boss or colleagues on facebook (bad idea), get real drunk, and post something stupid which is job related.

But probably a more common occurrence to check these things in the west, particularly in the US..and more specifically in media related positions. I've even heard from people in the states I know that part of their potential job offers have come with demands to befriend management on FB..!!!
Old Sep 11th 2012, 8:02 pm
Banned

Jamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the rough

I've been given a new offer. The base pay is a little more but not really significantly more. What is significant, however, is the fact that they are now paying for relocation, and tuition. I would venture to say that this is now a decent deal. It's also amazing how the entire negotiation process has taken some 6 months.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 9:00 am
Just Joined

Itinerant_Expat is an unknown quantity at this point

Mabrouk ! My wife and I are relocating there in about a months time. Still trying to work out affordable accomodation in AD, Dubai etc. AD is frightfully expensive for some reason.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 9:42 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jamworld
I've been given a new offer. The base pay is a little more but not really significantly more. What is significant, however, is the fact that they are now paying for relocation, and tuition. I would venture to say that this is now a decent deal. It's also amazing how the entire negotiation process has taken some 6 months.

You'll find that most of here are not the slightest bit amazed. That's the ME for you...
Old Sep 29th 2012, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light

from time to apply online - time to get the phone call about the job for me was six months. Negotiation continued after accepting the job up until 9 months in to the job.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 4:05 pm
Banned

Jamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the rough

Currently waiting on visa and security clearance. I was told it should take six (6) weeks or less.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 6:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Itinerant_Expat
Mabrouk ! My wife and I are relocating there in about a months time. Still trying to work out affordable accomodation in AD, Dubai etc. AD is frightfully expensive for some reason.
yeh always has.... bit different from the uk! and the 1 cheque too!
Old Jan 28th 2013, 9:04 pm
Banned

All processing is complete. I should be heading over to Abu Dhabi within 8 weeks or less. All of a sudden, however, I've been getting cold feet. 'Tis normal is it not?
Old Jan 29th 2013, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

All processing is complete. I should be heading over to Abu Dhabi within 8 weeks or less. All of a sudden, however, I've been getting cold feet. 'Tis normal is it not?
Never suffered from it much personally, but I've been doing it since I was 6 months old. Some react quite violently I've seen, cold sweats, nausea, uncontrollable laughter, etc. Take one day at the time and pace yourself, adjusting to a new setting will take time, but you'll feel back to normal before you know it.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 7:26 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Fear of change is common, especially if you haven't done it before. Eight weeks is ages and plenty of time to get matters sorted.

Good luck
Old Jan 29th 2013, 8:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Meow
Fear of change is common, especially if you haven't done it before. Eight weeks is ages and plenty of time to get REALLY ****ING PANICKY
Good luck
Old Jan 29th 2013, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Weather should start picking up in 8 weeks time. Been a bit parky in AUH
Old Jan 29th 2013, 9:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by saudiflares
Weather should start picking up in 8 weeks time. Been a bit parky in AUH
Funny, last couple of days I've got close to putting the AC on in the evenings. Close, not quite but has been warm after I've cooked up a bad ass dinner.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 12:08 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

I have frozen for the last 2 weeks. Last 2 days have finally hit 30 and the AC has been on whilst the Missus froze her t*ts off.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 10:33 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Meow
Fear of change is common, especially if you haven't done it before. Eight weeks is ages and plenty of time to get matters sorted.

Good luck
Thanks. Meow, and Scamp is right, I'm freaking out instead of sorting things out. Anyways... I like to plan a head, and as such I have another question for the bored: I'll be provided accommodations for 30 days by my employer. After that time I will have to make my own accommodations. I could take out a loan from my employer to cover the rent for an apartment/villa, however, I rather not take out a loan in the Middle East. I was wondering what hotels with kitchenettes you would recommend I stay for a few months, in order to save up the money for rent. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.