Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

apartment or villa in compound in Riyadh

apartment or villa in compound in Riyadh

Old Aug 17th 2010, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: apartment or villa in compound in Riyadh

Originally Posted by jaywez
Hi,

I've been offered a post in Riyadh working on an education project. I would be working from the Tatweer building 24°43'44"N 46°39'45"E

This will be my first time in Saudi and I will not be bringing my wife and two children with me as my contract is for a year. As I'll be on my own I'd ideally like to be with expats and am after something decent.

An allowance has been included for accommodation but, after looking through various sites I'm finding it very difficult to decide where different options are in relation to where I would be working as addresses seem to be vary scarce!

I'd be grateful for any suggestions and am open to decent hotels if that would work, serviced apartments or compounds. I also understand it's the norm to negotiate advertised prices?

I'd be arriving in October and have a budget of about £7-8k SAR per month.

Thanks in advance.
So you are arriving here in Riyadh in October in the middle of a UK Tax year and your contract is only for one year.
You will get hammered by the tax man.
That is for starters.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

jaywez is an unknown quantity at this point

Have already had the tax conversation with them. The intention is to extend a further year......but the risk is on me, particularly with family and expenditure in the UK.

Having said that, I work in government education in the UK and things aren't looking good at the moment with my current job ending in December and public sector cuts only just starting.

One of the "challenges" I'm having at the moment is deciding what is and what isn't a good package. I've seen some figures on the site and have spent a long time going through postings. It's appears what's been offered is fair. It's slightly more than my current UK package and means I'll have a job for the next 12 months....but as with others I still have doubts.....and will be leaving the family in the UK.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

Tracey71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have already had the tax conversation with them. The intention is to extend a further year......but the risk is on me, particularly with family and expenditure in the UK.

Having said that, I work in government education in the UK and things aren't looking good at the moment with my current job ending in December and public sector cuts only just starting.

One of the "challenges" I'm having at the moment is deciding what is and what isn't a good package. I've seen some figures on the site and have spent a long time going through postings. It's appears what's been offered is fair. It's slightly more than my current UK package and means I'll have a job for the next 12 months....but as with others I still have doubts.....and will be leaving the family in the UK.
What have they offered you at the moment? Could you ask to go out and visit first, that way you will get to see costs for yourself?

I'd be wary of being told that it's ok to get an appartment in Riyadh that isn't on a Western compound without getting advice from the British Embassy. Also, when you get there make sure you register with them - just in case.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 9:41 am
Just Joined

bvp01c is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: apartment or villa in compound in Riyadh

hi jaywez

i have been in saudi and getting on feet at the moment , i am coming back to uk for the eid hoildays , i have got my iquama , which took three weeks, and also living a compoud called Ranco village ,life is good here what with the weather in the 45 , food is good , and driving not to bad as well, it is a good expiernce to come and work here

vip

Old Sep 1st 2010, 7:22 am
Just Joined

ziadsp is an unknown quantity at this point

hi guys,

i'm in dubai since five years, although i'm a muslim but dubai is my only mid east experience, my wife is christian, i've been offered a job for 16 sar a month, i'm getting twenty in dubai but heard that 16 sar is equilivant to a way more than what i'm getting in dubai, the job is in riyadh, have no idea abt anything, therefore, kindly answer my below questions, would be highly appreciated if u can help me in the below,

1- is my salary enough, what would be my lifestyle level, what would be my monthly capital expenses and so on,

2- what is the price for a 1 br in a compound, in riyadh, im i able to stay in there money wise as per my salary, should i negotiate my company on the accommodation,

3- hows is the compound lifestyle, can u tell me briefly..

4- how much for the petrol and phone calls cost...locally ..

5-for a vacation ...what would be the place where we really can have fun,....instead of cmng to dubai again.....

6-what is the employment red flag issues that i should pay attention at when i'm talking with the HR