Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

apartment or villa in compound in Riyadh

apartment or villa in compound in Riyadh

Old Jul 19th 2010, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all
Default Re: apartment or villa in compound in Riyadh

Some days you will need to double the time after holidays , but it is surprisingly inconsistent - depends on how many of them crash on any particular day and whether their wreckage blocks your route. Hopefully the road works will soon be gone.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

Tigger99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt
Some days you will need to double the time after holidays , but it is surprisingly inconsistent - depends on how many of them crash on any particular day and whether their wreckage blocks your route. Hopefully the road works will soon be gone.
Cheeeeers for the good news.... So if I leave at 05:00, miss all the idiots and sit in the car park for about three hours I should be good to go...... Does Starbucks open that early?
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 8:32 am
Just Joined

dewsbury_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,

Just logged onto the forum. I'm currently in Dubai but have an opportunity to move to an investment firm based in Riyadh. My plan is to leave the family here in Dubai as they're settled here and I will commute from Riyadh at the weekends.

I've looked at the flight prices and its not much more than if I were renting a car here in Dubai. I need accommodation for the cheapest, safest available - obviously compounds are the done thing. Does anybody know if I can stay somewhere and pay monthly and , if so, does anybody know the typical costs. All I need is a one bedroom gaff ideally for around SAR6k a month - is this realistic or am I kidding myself?
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 8:33 am
Just Joined

Hi everyone,

Just logged onto the forum. I'm currently in Dubai but have an opportunity to move to an investment firm based in Riyadh. My plan is to leave the family here in Dubai as they're settled here and I will commute from Riyadh at the weekends.

I've looked at the flight prices and its not much more than if I were renting a car here in Dubai. I need accommodation for the cheapest, safest available - obviously compounds are the done thing. Does anybody know if I can stay somewhere and pay monthly and , if so, does anybody know the typical costs. All I need is a one bedroom gaff ideally for around SAR6k a month - is this realistic or am I kidding myself?
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 9:00 am
Just Joined

Hi everyone,

Old Jul 22nd 2010, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

The answers to your questions are YES!!!
Now depends on where you are working here in Riyadh.
If you could advise on where you maybe working the area that is and not the company !!.

There are plenty of hostels which yes you can rent by the day / week/ month etc etc.
Some are about maybe 4k sar.

Unless you enter here on a Multi Entry Exit visa or a Business visa, you are going to have problems.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 9:13 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the swift response.

The office is on the main highway across the road from Kingdom Tower so fairly central.

Which compounds would be recommended that would fit this criteria?
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 9:44 am
Just Joined

My Visa will be multi-entry/exit at this stage.

Apparently I also need to pass the CME-1 Exam as its a role in financial services - does anybody know anything about this? I know the outline of the exam - 2 parts both 100 questions each - but not much else.

I'm a bit surprised I need to do it at all as I have my qualifications (FPC) from the UK and that was deemed good enough for UAE.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

You can find serviced apartments near kingdom tower for 6000+ a month but the lowest price I thought acceptable was 9000. An option for a compound would be Sahara towers which is 1km from kingdom tower and is at the bottom end of the price range but it has few, if any Brits. I was offered a one bed (unfurnished) for 90,000 per year - no chance of renting for less than 1 year. They have a 6 month waiting list, but i was offered the apartment after seeing the manager providing I accepted and signed up on the spot.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Getting back through immigration on the return to Riyadh has put me off running off to Bahrain for the weekend. Even in Business class and getting off first I still end up arriving just after a PIA or Indian Airways Jumbo has just off loaded 90,000 labourers. Although I understand that they have recently introduced a bio metric fast track scanner ?
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt
You can find serviced apartments near kingdom tower for 6000+ a month but the lowest price I thought acceptable was 9000. An option for a compound would be Sahara towers which is 1km from kingdom tower and is at the bottom end of the price range but it has few, if any Brits. I was offered a one bed (unfurnished) for 90,000 per year - no chance of renting for less than 1 year. They have a 6 month waiting list, but i was offered the apartment after seeing the manager providing I accepted and signed up on the spot.
What about the motels on the compounds for short term lets - weeks/months - would this be cheaper?
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

The only compound motel I know is Seder Village which is the option I took. SR 400/night. 50 minute drive to Kingdom tower on a bad day.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by coffindodger
The answers to your questions are YES!!!
Now depends on where you are working here in Riyadh.
If you could advise on where you maybe working the area that is and not the company !!.

There are plenty of hostels which yes you can rent by the day / week/ month etc etc.
Some are about maybe 4k sar.

Unless you enter here on a Multi Entry Exit visa or a Business visa, you are going to have problems.
gottheTshirt - thanks for your responses.

coffindodger - can you let me know where the hostels would be where I can rent as per the above? Would these hostels be on compounds?
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

systematicfx is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I guess you are living in the DQ. How is it? I am thinking to move there by mid-september. I am currently in Al Romaizon.

thierry

Originally Posted by prwatts
Ayup,
You need to do LOTS of research on this forum. You need Iqama first, as a genral rule.
No1 what is your budget
No2 your Company must do it for you and provide a driver for wifie, or the compound must - Kingdom Compound is nice but very costly.
No3 if you go it alone you will usually have to pay a "fee" up front which is not refundabable but in theory you can charge the same fee to the next guy who wants your place when you have had enough.
I work in the DQ and it is one gigantic compound but as a result without the friendliness of a smaller place. BTW the fee will be usually £10k or more, cash up front.
No4 location - traffic is appalling so don't choose a compound on the other side of town to work because after 1 month you will want to kill yourself. And rush hour lasts from 6 am till 11pm here....

Take it very slowly - act in haste, repent at leisure, and I have a PhD in that......

Old Jul 24th 2010, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

pranabdc is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok guys.......

My office is in Localiser Mall, Olaya. I am looking for a single accommodation(bring my family later maybe) with nearby gyms, tennis courts and swimming pools.

Anyone has any clues? What compound is nearby(I love my life so least amount of driving) or serviced aparment areas are suitable...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.