Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Adam Jones aged 10 kidnapped in Qatar

Adam Jones aged 10 kidnapped in Qatar

Old Mar 8th 2010, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adam Jones aged 10 kidnapped in Qatar

Any collections/donations to fund her legal costs? I would love to contribute, so please let me know if there is a fund of some kind. Ta,
Old Mar 10th 2010, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

UkMum is an unknown quantity at this point

I feel very sorry for Adam's mum. That is a totally horrendous situation to be in. I hope it all works out and she gets him back where he belongs.

However, I am finding some of the comments on this strand really offensive. How do any of us think we have the right to comment on another person's marriage or relationship?

I am married to an Arab (not UAE) and have always had (touch wood) a fantastic relationship with his family.

It is very prejudiced to judge people just on their nationality. I am sure we are all in agreement that not all people of one race are the same.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 1:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UkMum
I feel very sorry for Adam's mum. That is a totally horrendous situation to be in. I hope it all works out and she gets him back where he belongs.

However, I am finding some of the comments on this strand really offensive. How do any of us think we have the right to comment on another person's marriage or relationship?

I am married to an Arab (not UAE) and have always had (touch wood) a fantastic relationship with his family.

It is very prejudiced to judge people just on their nationality. I am sure we are all in agreement that not all people of one race are the same.
If you're talking about my conversation with Banter64, we have exchanged PMs to clarify, explain, reword, etc..............

I'm glad you have a wonderful marriage to an Arab gentleman - so many of those end in tears, violence, him marrying another woman without telling the first wife, blah, blah........ you must realise that you are one of the lucky ones, surely?
Old Mar 11th 2010, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Dean
If you're talking about my conversation with Banter64, we have exchanged PMs to clarify, explain, reword, etc..............

I'm glad you have a wonderful marriage to an Arab gentleman - so many of those end in tears, violence, him marrying another woman without telling the first wife, blah, blah........ you must realise that you are one of the lucky ones, surely?
Hi The Dean - Thank you for clarifying. I'm sure you will see from re-reading your original posting, that you did come across as a little prejudiced.

I would just like to say that 1 in 3 White UK marriages end in divorce (trust me, I'm a social statistician). The situations you mention above, do happen, but are not as prevalent as domestic violence here in the White UK marriages. In today's society, the media love to report anti-muslim and anti-arab stories. So, these terrible situations gain more media attention than the millions of mixed marriages which work.

So, I do consider myself to be lucky to be in a happy marriage (mashallah) as anyone else who is should. However, I am not 'one of the lucky ones' - rather the women who find themselves in these bad marrigaes are 'the unlucky ones'.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 8:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi The Dean - Thank you for clarifying. I'm sure you will see from re-reading your original posting, that you did come across as a little prejudiced.

I would just like to say that 1 in 3 White UK marriages end in divorce (trust me, I'm a social statistician). The situations you mention above, do happen, but are not as prevalent as domestic violence here in the White UK marriages. In today's society, the media love to report anti-muslim and anti-arab stories. So, these terrible situations gain more media attention than the millions of mixed marriages which work.

So, I do consider myself to be lucky to be in a happy marriage (mashallah) as anyone else who is should. However, I am not 'one of the lucky ones' - rather the women who find themselves in these bad marrigaes are 'the unlucky ones'.
I know of many more Arab man/Western woman marriages that have ended in disaster than have been successful, but I couldn't claim that my experiences represent a reliable cross-section that could be statistically relied on, but you have made your point very well - thank you.

And Banter's point about not trusting her husband's family is also important. You say you have a fantastic relationship with yours - would that be the case after, say, a divorce?
Old Mar 11th 2010, 2:02 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Divorce rate is high in the UK and there are incidents of domestic abuse but the UK courts are very good at handling divorces and when marriages break down. They don't, for example, automatically award custody of the children to the father's family. If anything the UK courts are biased in favour of the woman over the man.

Sharia law is NOT in the woman's favor within the context of a marriage.

Old Mar 11th 2010, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Divorce rate is high in the UK and there are incidents of domestic abuse but the UK courts are very good at handling divorces and when marriages break down. They don't, for example, automatically award custody of the children to the father's family. If anything the UK courts are biased in favour of the woman over the man.

Sharia law is NOT in the woman's favor within the context of a marriage.
I was not defending the sharia law or whether or not it is fair. My point was simply that it is not fair to assume that all mixed marriages are doomed to failure or that all Arab families will react in the same way.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 4:44 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

I was not defending the sharia law or whether or not it is fair. My point was simply that it is not fair to assume that all mixed marriages are doomed to failure or that all Arab families will react in the same way.
sure, but divorce generally brings out the worst in everyone, especially those who feel they have the most to lose.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

sukik9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone, im new to this site and only found it as i was doing a search for Adam Jones. His story was on my local news program last night night and really touched my heart. Included in the news report was a video of Adam pleading for help, he seemed deeply unhappy and mentioned that he was suffering physical abuse from other members of his late fathers family.

I just wanted to offer some support to his mum and maybe just try and help spread the word. The video of the news report can be seen on the facebook page of ITV Tyne Tees and i will attempt to include the link to it here as well.

If anyone here knows Adams mum could you please pass on to her the message that there are people back here in the UK that care and i for one will be doing all i can to let many more people know about it, in the hope that someone, somewhere can do something to remedy this terrible situation.

Love and best wishes to Adam and his mum for a speedy reunion xx
Old Nov 24th 2010, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....01591&comments

This is the link to the ITV Tyne Tees news report and video on facebook about Adam Jones and included in the vid is Adam pleading for help
Old Nov 24th 2010, 2:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sukik9
Hello everyone, im new to this site and only found it as i was doing a search for Adam Jones. His story was on my local news program last night night and really touched my heart. Included in the news report was a video of Adam pleading for help, he seemed deeply unhappy and mentioned that he was suffering physical abuse from other members of his late fathers family.

I just wanted to offer some support to his mum and maybe just try and help spread the word. The video of the news report can be seen on the facebook page of ITV Tyne Tees and i will attempt to include the link to it here as well.

If anyone here knows Adams mum could you please pass on to her the message that there are people back here in the UK that care and i for one will be doing all i can to let many more people know about it, in the hope that someone, somewhere can do something to remedy this terrible situation.

Love and best wishes to Adam and his mum for a speedy reunion xx
Well said.

There are a few 'connected' people who read this site (although most are not actual mermbers or contributors here), and they will have read your kind words.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The Dean
Well said.

There are a few 'connected' people who read this site (although most are not actual mermbers or contributors here), and they will have read your kind words.
Thank you, ive tried to post a link to the video i mentioned but it hasn't shown up, any idea's why that is?
Old Nov 24th 2010, 3:00 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sukik9
Thank you, ive tried to post a link to the video i mentioned but it hasn't shown up, any idea's why that is?
it is there, I just clicked on it. Very sad situation, hope the abductees can live with themselves
Old Nov 24th 2010, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
it is there, I just clicked on it. Very sad situation, hope the abductees can live with themselves
oh that's great thanks, like i said i'm new and haven't really got a clue what im doing in regards to forums lol