Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Negotiating rent in AD (and other q's)

Negotiating rent in AD (and other q's)

Old Oct 26th 2010, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

mummy2dolly is a jewel in the roughmummy2dolly is a jewel in the roughmummy2dolly is a jewel in the roughmummy2dolly is a jewel in the rough
Default Negotiating rent in AD (and other q's)

Can anyone please tell me how much is an appropriate amount to try and negotiate off the initial rental price advertised for properties in Abu Dhabi? Does it vary agent to agent? (for eg there are properties listed on dubizzle and on LLJ that look like the same property but with a difference in price of about AED10,000??).

How long does it usually take between viewing and agreeing to take a property and getting the keys? (tips on juggling shipment arrival and key collection appreciated)

Is it ever possible to rent directly from a landlord - is it worth finding out who owns what and phoning their respective offices with requests?

All tips appreciated, cheers
Old Oct 26th 2010, 8:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Negotiating rent in AD (and other q's)

Originally Posted by mummy2dolly View Post
Can anyone please tell me how much is an appropriate amount to try and negotiate off the initial rental price advertised for properties in Abu Dhabi? Does it vary agent to agent? (for eg there are properties listed on dubizzle and on LLJ that look like the same property but with a difference in price of about AED10,000??).

How long does it usually take between viewing and agreeing to take a property and getting the keys? (tips on juggling shipment arrival and key collection appreciated)

Is it ever possible to rent directly from a landlord - is it worth finding out who owns what and phoning their respective offices with requests?

well u can try to negotiate it down, but ad landlords will NOT, but there are the odd good ones. if you decide to go with a property you will need to organise it straightaway. it depends on who you are dealing with, if its a bank you will need to go through their processes too.

you will find it difficult to find out who the landlord is, in some high rises you can ask the security who may give you the number, if a compound you can sometimes get a watchman who may give you the number, but even then you are then directed to a bank, if there is a mortgage on it, so you sometimes still have to pay commission.

ad landlords are different to dxb landlords etc, they will on most occasions not negotiate, but that depends on their positions, etc. nothing ventured nothing gained.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

Hello mummy2dolly - and welcome to the Board.

I think we all have different experiences with rental situations. I am moving from Khalidya because my current landlord will not negtiate my rent down, despite plumenting rents abu Dhabi. I have managed to find a really nice place in a compound on island and conversely I immediately negitiated 10k off the rent, and am still negotiating. My agent tells me this is now common.

LLJ is one of the better agents and Rachael is very good. they deal with all the big and smaller landlords. Dealing independently with individual landlords is a bit hit or miss. Once they have your money for the year, it is often difficult getting repairs and maintenance done.

You can be in within a couple of weeks of signing your lease. Getting your rent cheques and utilites organised is the biggest challenge if you dont yet have a residency visa or local bank account. But it is possible to get in quickly...

My current "landlord" is in fact the President but I can give you his property management company details direct if you PM me, thus negating the need for an agent. They have nice properties all over town. I can also pass on my agent's details - she has been here years and knows everyone. The other big property portfolio is handled by Green Emirates I believe, but I can't remember who the landlord is. One of the Nahyans of course. many of the banks own tower blocks and villa compounds too - First Gulf bank and NBAD for example

Last edited by weescot; Oct 26th 2010 at 10:08 am.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

Hi Weescot,
as I've only just joined this forum, I can't PM you. But I'm moving to Abu Dhabi in Jan 2011, and would also be very interested in the contact details for your property management company and/or agent. I'm trying to research where to move my family to, and finding it all rather depressing (expensive!). Hopefully you can PM me, even if I can't to you? Many thanks indeed.

For what it is worth, adding to the original question - I have met 2 people in Abu Dhabi, on my interview visit across, who were able to negotiate down the price on their villa, so it is possible - sometimes!

"Archie".
Old Oct 26th 2010, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by archie159 View Post
For what it is worth, adding to the original question - I have met 2 people in Abu Dhabi, on my interview visit across, who were able to negotiate down the price on their villa, so it is possible - sometimes!

Yes it's possible....we started out at 250K and signed on 230K
Old Oct 26th 2010, 8:04 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I've negotiated about half-a-dozen rents in the last couple of months, and in all instances have been able to reduce the asking price, and in most cases have got them to accept 3 or 4 cheques.

You can quite often deal directly with landlords, however the agents seem to be accepting the fact that its turning into a lessee's market. Negotiate hard and I would be very suprised if you don't manage to get at least 5-10% reduction on the asking price: in one instance, the landlord offered to halve the rent straight off.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

mummy2dolly is a jewel in the roughmummy2dolly is a jewel in the roughmummy2dolly is a jewel in the roughmummy2dolly is a jewel in the rough

This is all very positive news, maybe we will be able to afford to eat as well after all
Old Oct 26th 2010, 9:01 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

This is all very positive news, maybe we will be able to afford to eat as well after all
My son, his friend and I had an excellent burger each at Fudbreakers(?) in Marina Mall, with 2 large glasses of diet Coke and a really good milkshake, total bill AED124. So I've now found 4 things which are cheap here: aforementioned Fudbreakers, fishing tackle, petrol and shwarmas (doner kebabs).
Old Oct 27th 2010, 6:11 am
BE Enthusiast

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's Fuddruckers
Old Oct 27th 2010, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Weescot,
as I've only just joined this forum, I can't PM you. But I'm moving to Abu Dhabi in Jan 2011, and would also be very interested in the contact details for your property management company and/or agent. I'm trying to research where to move my family to, and finding it all rather depressing (expensive!). Hopefully you can PM me, even if I can't to you? Many thanks indeed.

"Archie".
Welcome to the board! After 3 posts, you can send and receive PM's!
Old Oct 27th 2010, 11:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Weescot,

"Archie".
we are still negotiating ours, the landlord will not budge an inch. even if you tell him that all the compound will move out and you will have to accept less, still not budging. thats what its like
Old Oct 27th 2010, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by busybee2 View Post
we are still negotiating ours, the landlord will not budge an inch. even if you tell him that all the compound will move out and you will have to accept less, still not budging. thats what its like
BB2 - sounds like you need to find a new landlord! This was exactly my situation and my block now has in excess of 20 empty apartments - to which mine will be added...
Old Oct 27th 2010, 12:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by weescot View Post
BB2 - sounds like you need to find a new landlord! This was exactly my situation and my block now has in excess of 20 empty apartments - to which mine will be added...
we did last year. and half a year before that and 2 years before that and 2 years before that, thought we had found a "good" one, but this is abu dhabi for ya.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 4:35 am
BE Enthusiast

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is that many of the landlords are so sodding rich (mine owns Abu Dhabi mall, for instance) that they really don't care if 1% of their property empire is empty for a few months, or even a year. It's a real distortion of market economics.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 4:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by csdf View Post
The problem is that many of the landlords are so sodding rich (mine owns Abu Dhabi mall, for instance) that they really don't care if 1% of their property empire is empty for a few months, or even a year. It's a real distortion of market economics.
yep we have one of those...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.