Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Meet-ups
Reload this Page >

Who is from Yorkshire?

Who is from Yorkshire?

Old Nov 7th 2012, 4:08 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who is from Yorkshire?

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
The Turf was just along the road from the Grammar School - I was fishing to see if you were one of the kids who thought they could fool the landlord into serving them by taking off their school tie and talking in deep voices
Though we did wear ties at BGGS, and loved to take them off (along with the mandatory berets), we weren't too good at the deep voices!
Old Nov 7th 2012, 5:20 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Oops
Old Dec 24th 2012, 4:35 am
Just Joined

YorkshireEmma is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm from Wakefield, West Yorkshire. Only moved to the US 3 weeks ago and I already miss hearing Yorkshire accents!!
Old Dec 24th 2012, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YorkshireEmma
I'm from Wakefield, West Yorkshire. Only moved to the US 3 weeks ago and I already miss hearing Yorkshire accents!!
Welcome to the Forum.

O Gosh me duck, chances are you will always miss that accent you took for granted, Look to see if The Last of the Summer Wine is on your local PBS TV station, I know it plays in some places, a 30 minute fix per week might do you good, I watch it every Saturday without fail, it brings tears to my eyes everytime I hear the signiture tune, the shows are 20 years old in some cases but who cares, its Yorkshire.

I spoke Yorkshire when I came here, That had to change and quick, nobody understood me, first thing I did was slow down, now I sound like just plain English, of course as soon as Im back on my old turf I turn on the old twang but people are not fooled... to them Im a yank...

Im amazed you found us so quickly...
Old Dec 24th 2012, 5:21 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

From a fellow Wakey lass
Old Dec 24th 2012, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

YorkshireEmma is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Welcome to the Forum.

O Gosh me duck, chances are you will always miss that accent you took for granted, Look to see if The Last of the Summer Wine is on your local PBS TV station, I know it plays in some places, a 30 minute fix per week might do you good, I watch it every Saturday without fail, it brings tears to my eyes everytime I hear the signiture tune, the shows are 20 years old in some cases but who cares, its Yorkshire.

I spoke Yorkshire when I came here, That had to change and quick, nobody understood me, first thing I did was slow down, now I sound like just plain English, of course as soon as Im back on my old turf I turn on the old twang but people are not fooled... to them Im a yank...

Im amazed you found us so quickly...
Last of the Summer Wine! Great idea! I'm very grateful for Skype so I can speak to my parents and grandparents for my dose of Yorkshire! I'm pretty determined not to lose my accent but I know I'm gonna have to change how I talk a bit. When I ask for water I have to ask twice every time... And flat vowels are proving a bit of a problem to make people understand... Ah well... It be reyt � ����
And glad there are more Wakey people on here!!! Amazing!!!
Old Dec 25th 2012, 11:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Last of the Summer Wine! Great idea! I'm very grateful for Skype so I can speak to my parents and grandparents for my dose of Yorkshire! I'm pretty determined not to lose my accent but I know I'm gonna have to change how I talk a bit. When I ask for water I have to ask twice every time... And flat vowels are proving a bit of a problem to make people understand... Ah well... It be reyt
My Yorkshire accent is relatively muted, but despite ten years in SW England and 15 years in London I still sound much more a Yorkshireman than anything else (as far as I know I have picked up nothing from SW England or London). That said I have had to adopted local pronunciations of wadder, ledduce, and gah-rharge.

Despite almost 13 years of marriage my wife still has problems understanding some of the things I say, and recently my five year old daughter has taken to criticizing my pronunciation of half ("harf" .... no Daddy, it's "haff").

I don't know of anyone from Yorkshire near where I live (which is a long way SE of Iowa), but then given the reaction to my accent even 10 years after I moved here, I don't think anyone here has met a Yorkshireman either!

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 26th 2012 at 12:02 am.
Old Dec 28th 2012, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Last of the Summer Wine! Great idea! I'm very grateful for Skype so I can speak to my parents and grandparents for my dose of Yorkshire! I'm pretty determined not to lose my accent but I know I'm gonna have to change how I talk a bit. When I ask for water I have to ask twice every time... And flat vowels are proving a bit of a problem to make people understand... Ah well... It be reyt ������
It all depends on your age, if you are pretty young you will lose some of your accent, even now people laugh at the way I prounce some words.

When I came to the Usa (1976) it cost $1 a minute to call the UK except certain times on Sundays when you could call for 67 cents a minute, I earned $2.50 an hour, Id write lots of letters and call once a month, phoning home was a luxury, the world has changed a lot in the last 36 years.

Reyt, love it, me and my sister who lives here like to talk that way just for fun.
Old Dec 28th 2012, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

Ruth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm from Yorkshire , Americans think I'm Scottish, I don,t care for my accent much when I hear myself on the answering machine, the Irish accent is much like American accent, sounds nicer and easier to understand too. Funny as my kids born in the US have never even commented on my accent, maybe they think its a disability and don't want to hurt my feelings
Old Jan 14th 2013, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

KimG72 is an unknown quantity at this point

Although not a born Yorkshireman, I moved to Chicago in Sept 2012 after living & working in Leeds for 20 years. By 'eck, Chicago is a bit different, though I've just found online (thanks to these forums) the butcher from Leeds who makes & sells British sausages & bacon in the Chicago area!

As for accents, despite many years living in the South East, I'm originally from Bristol/the West Country, so I still have that yokel twang. Though about 25% of Americans, when asking about my accent, think I'm Australian. A common mistake over here I believe!

Last edited by KimG72; Jan 14th 2013 at 4:48 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

chayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond repute

Hello from a recent mover to the USA, born and dragged up in Sheffield, now enjoying life with my new family down here in South Carolina.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

Ruth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chayowl
Hello from a recent mover to the USA, born and dragged up in Sheffield, now enjoying life with my new family down here in South Carolina.
Omg from Sheffield to Pawleys island, lucky you
Old Jan 14th 2013, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

JoJensen is an unknown quantity at this point

I am from Harrogate and have just recently moved to Melbourne, Florida.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 7:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoJensen
I am from Harrogate and have just recently moved to Melbourne, Florida.
Hi... to BE.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 7:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruth16
Omg from Sheffield to Pawleys island, lucky you
It's horses for courses - but my mother would slap you for saying that. From the house in Sheffield where I lived as a child we had views towards the moors of north Derbyshire and I would not trade that in a straight swap for any view in/from SC, .... and neither would my mother!

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 14th 2013 at 8:00 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.