Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

technolog's K1 visa journey

technolog's K1 visa journey

Old Jan 14th 2014, 7:51 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: technolog's K1 visa journey

Originally Posted by technolog
I So, given a clear Police Certificate and given that no mention has been made of it so far through this process, I'm tempted to make no further mention of my conviction. I think it would only cause confusion and probable delay if I did. Would anybody like to offer their opinion and the reasons for it?
If you are ever asked, either on a form or in person, if you have any arrests/convictions, you must declare it.

You do not have to volunteer the information if you're never asked (either in written or verbal format).

Since you're going to arrive on a K-1 visa, you'll have AOS forms to fill out which ask about this, plus down the road your removal of conditions application, and then also if you ever want to become a US citizen, you'll be asked again. I'm sure the K-1 visa application asks about it, too, so be prepared, if you haven't filled that out yet.

Rene
Old Jan 15th 2014, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

technolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond repute

Got a call from Staffordshire Police today in response to my Subject Access Request to say there was no trace of me on their local system. They said because of the low-level nature and age of the offence, it had probably been deleted.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

technolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond repute

Received a letter from my local constabulary saying there was no information on record on their system.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

We placed our house up for sale yesterday. Depending on sale price, equity should be in the order of £70k-£80k. A week today will be my 50th birthday and I'll be in receipt of one of my pensions, comprising a lump sum of £14k and £70 p.w.

This brought to mind a few questions

I'll need to transfer the house equity & pension lump sum to the USA when we move. I've had a search of the forum and it seems the likes of Halo, Xoom & TorFX are recommended for the purpose. Martin Lewis's UK site, MoneySavingExpert.com appears to recommend CurrenciesDirect, HiFX & MoneyCorp for the same purpose. Am I on the right lines? Before researching, we were thinking we would need to find a US bank account based on its international transfer charges, but I'm guessing that must be more expensive.

There'll also be regular movements back and forth. Therefore I need to maintain a UK current account, I would assume, to receive my weekly pension and also payments from a couple of friends who owe me money. Would you agree? Is it possible to operate a UK current account when not resident in the country? I know I'll need to speak to the bank but thought people might be able to share their own experiences.

What is the procedure for transferring the money? I'm assuming I'd enter the US using my K1 visa then get a US bank account, then effect the transfer from my UK account to my new US account using one of the services mentioned above. Presumably this could be done within a few days of entering the US.

Last edited by technolog; Jan 18th 2014 at 9:46 pm. Reason: Thought of another, related question
Old Jan 18th 2014, 10:01 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

This brought to mind a few questions
You'll probably get better answers if you post this in the general USA forum. These questions don't really involve immigration.

Ian
Old Jan 18th 2014, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You'll probably get better answers if you post this in the general USA forum. These questions don't really involve immigration.

Ian
Good point Ian. I'll ask the non-immigration questions in a more appropriate forum but I'll post the outcome of the resulting advice here as it forms part of my journey and may help others in the future. Apologies if I forget and do it again though as my memory is shocking.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

I received a letter from the US Embassy (as described by my fiancée; I'm at work - assume it's from the Consular section ). I had assumed that the NVC would be in touch first to say they had received the case from USCIS. I've not received any communication, either electronic or written since the NoA2 letter on the 10th Jan. Should/could I have registered for electronic updates on some other system? My USCIS online case status still says 'post decision activity' with the I-129F petition approval on Jan 3rd.

Anyway, just a surprise to receive the letter, but a very nice one.

Last edited by technolog; Jan 23rd 2014 at 12:23 pm. Reason: typo
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

So, I have my LND case number, I have my Police Certificate. My intended date of travel to the US is no later than July 12th as the wedding is pencilled in (an informal family affair) for July 4th or 19th depending on which family members are able to attend (school holidays related). Am I all set to book my medical for as early as next week?

The Knightsbridge doctor's receptionist said it was approximately a week's lead time between calling to book and the appointment. She also said that being half-way through my two MMR vaccination injections wasn't an issue and nor was the lack of my medical records to prove vaccinations needed/received.

However I think I'll get my GP medical records now, hopefully in time to take to the medical with me and also proof of my future appointment for the second MMR vaccination injection.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 1:59 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Am I all set to book my medical for as early as next week?
The visa is valid for 6 months from the date of the medical. If you have the medical too soon, you severely limit your travel options with respect to when you can fly and, subsequently, when you can enter the US.

Ian
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

My fiancée is adamant that the wedding will be July 4th (or July 19th if delaying will allow more of my family to travel over for it). So barring the (very) unexpected, a medical next week will work as I see it. I take your point about there not being much leeway.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 2:30 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

My fiancée is adamant that the wedding will be July 4th (or July 19th if delaying will allow more of my family to travel over for it). So barring the (very) unexpected, a medical next week will work as I see it. I take your point about there not being much leeway.
The way I see it, having your medical so soon is cutting it a bit close. Personally, I'd wait a few more weeks at least, just in case. But that's just me.

Rene
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'm naturally impatient

What would be the consequences of not travelling before the visa expires? Go through the complete I-129F/K1 process again? Is there a point up until which I can extend the visa validity by having a new medical?
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 2:34 pm

Hopefully we'll make it over before September. If not then given we have 6-months (from date of medical?) to use the visa and 90 days to get married after entry, then the October half-term or Christmas holidays should be do-able with regard to the wedding. We won't be committing to anything until the visa is in hand.
Just a friendly reminder that back in October 2013, you said you won't be committing to anything until the visa is in hand.

Today you're saying your fiancee is adamant that the wedding will be in July 2014, with 2 specific dates in mind. I'm not saying that can't happen, but just reminding you not to commit to those dates until the visa is in hand. Don't be disappointed if you can't stick to those dates.

Rene
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 2:37 pm

What would be the consequences of not travelling before the visa expires?
If you don't enter the USA by the visa expiration date, you lose the visa.

Go through the complete I-129F/K1 process again?
Yes.

Is there a point up until which I can extend the visa validity by having a new medical?
No. Once the visa is issued, it is only good up until the expiration date on the visa.

You can slow down the process yourself by postponing the medical exam, and postponing letting them know when you're ready to interview. However, don't get the medical done and then postpone letting them know you're ready to interview...because the visa will only be valid for 6 months from the date of the medical, no matter when your interview is.

So right now, the most sensible way to slow down or postpone the process is to have the medical a bit later.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Jan 23rd 2014 at 2:39 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Just a friendly reminder that back in October 2013, you said you won't be committing to anything until the visa is in hand.
LOL, you got me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.