Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

technolog's K1 visa journey

technolog's K1 visa journey

Old Jan 5th 2014, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

technolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: technolog's K1 visa journey

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Since you ask, in case the sponsor doesn't want to reveal his financial situation to you, it's perfectly acceptable for the sponsor to put his info in a sealed envelope to be opened by the officer at your interview. Of course, if there's a problem with any of that info, you won't know about it until you're at the interview.

Ian
I was very worried about his privacy being compromised but would hate to not know what was in that envelope before the ConOff opens it. I mentioned my concerns to him and he didn't seem at all bothered about me seeing his financial details.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

technolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Again, if his income is enough (which 100K should be more than enough), he does not need to provide the savings information or bank statements (statement from bank).

I don't see why he would need to scan and email you his 3 years of tax returns ahead of time. That's a lot of scanning, unless he's using the shortened IRS transcripts.

Rene
Ah. That's where you have an advantage over me. I've never seen a US tax return and had assumed it was just 1 or 2 pages. How would you suggest he communicate it to me?
Old Jan 5th 2014, 6:46 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by technolog
Ah. That's where you have an advantage over me. I've never seen a US tax return and had assumed it was just 1 or 2 pages. How would you suggest he communicate it to me?
There are two ways:

1. He can make a photocopy of his entire tax return, all pages, exactly as it was turned in to IRS (this includes the W-9 from his employer, and any 1099's if applicable). Depending on the complexity of his tax return, this could be many pages (my husband and I do a joint return and it's usually 8 - 10 pages...I work full time and he's self employed).

2. He can get IRS transcripts for free from IRS...takes about a week to get them in the mail. This is a condensed version of the tax return and is only 2 or 3 pages.

I suppose he can scan everything and email it to you, for your review...or, he could just send it all over with the original I-134.

Rene
Old Jan 5th 2014, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

There are two ways:

1. He can make a photocopy of his entire tax return, all pages, exactly as it was turned in to IRS (this includes the W-9 from his employer, and any 1099's if applicable). Depending on the complexity of his tax return, this could be many pages (my husband and I do a joint return and it's usually 8 - 10 pages...I work full time and he's self employed).

2. He can get IRS transcripts for free from IRS...takes about a week to get them in the mail. This is a condensed version of the tax return and is only 2 or 3 pages.

I suppose he can scan everything and email it to you, for your review...or, he could just send it all over with the original I-134.

Rene
Thanks Rene. I've passed that on and suspect he'll take the second option.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Again, if his income is enough (which 100K should be more than enough), he does not need to provide the savings information or bank statements (statement from bank).

Rene
The reason I asked him to include savings as well is because of his age. He's 66. I thought the ConOff might be worried about an imminent retirement.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Posted off my request for access to my hospital medical records yesterday.

A similar request will follow for my GP records after my required vaccinations are completed.

Are medical records required to be taken to the medical? Vaccination records would be useful obviously.

Also applied for two copies of my previous marriage certificate ready to take to the interview.

Last edited by technolog; Jan 7th 2014 at 7:45 pm. Reason: Added last para.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 7:48 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The reason I asked him to include savings as well is because of his age. He's 66. I thought the ConOff might be worried about an imminent retirement.
Probably not, but it's fine to include savings if he wants to.

Rene
Old Jan 7th 2014, 7:49 pm

Are medical records required to be taken to the medical?
No.

Also applied for two copies of my previous marriage certificate ready to take to the interview.
You mean divorce decree? That should have been included in the I-129F package.

Previous marriage certificates are not required.

Rene
Old Jan 7th 2014, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Today I sent off the application for two copies of my police certificate. One for the medical (& interview?) and one for sparesies.

It wasn't until after I sent it that I realised I'll also need to send off for subject access reports too. The police certificate should come back with either 'No Live Trace' or 'Further Information Stepped Down' due to a conviction for Drunk & Disorderly conduct back in 1990. There were also motoring convictions for driving without due care & attention, failing to stop and (I think) failing to exchange details all from one incident in 1987 - I'm not sure whether these are criminal or civil - anyone know?

I intend to make applications for subject access reports from the Police National Computer system, my local constabulary's systems and the Staffordshire Constabulary's local system (as that's where the D&D arrest & conviction was). Perhaps the local ones won't be needed, perhaps they will, but at £10 each I reckon it'd be daft not to. Be interesting to see what they say anyway.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

No.

You mean divorce decree? That should have been included in the I-129F package.

Previous marriage certificates are not required.

Rene
No, marriage certificate. I was surprised but from the Immigrant / Fiancé(e) Visa Interview Checklist linked to in the K1 wiki:

Marriage Certificate: If you are/were married you must present an original or certified copy. You must also present proof of the dissolution of any previous marriage, such as a death certificate, divorce decree or evidence of annulment.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 8:23 pm

No, marriage certificate. I was surprised but from the Immigrant / Fiancé(e) Visa Interview Checklist linked to in the K1 wiki:
It looks like they combined the Immigrant (spouse) and K-1 (fiance) checklists on that page. I believe they are referring to the current marriage certificate if you're doing an immigrant visa.

But still, won't hurt to bring them, if you have them.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Jan 7th 2014 at 8:26 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

We received the I-797 Notice of Action (NoA2) through the mail today. Noted that a copy of it is needed to be used further on in the process. Scan taken and put away safe.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

I had my Revaxis (Diptheria, tetanus & polio - polio wasn't required - just part of this package) and first of two MMR vaccinations. The second MMR will be administered in a month's time. They're all free of charge

When the second MMR's done, I'll apply for my GP medical records.

The nurse warned me they could make my arms sore (both thankfully administered in the upper arm ) more so the Revaxis. She also advised that the MMR could cause a swollen throat and it could take as long as two weeks for it to appear
Old Jan 14th 2014, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

I got my ACRO Police Certificate today. It says 'No Trace'.

In my application for the certificate I stated that I had a conviction for drunk and disorderly and gave as much detail of the time, place & circumstances of the incident as possible. I could only give an approximate year of 1990 but said it could be a year either way. I knew it was Easter Monday as it was returning home from Easter rugby tour

In anticipation of getting a 'No Live Trace' report, I've also sent off a Subject Access request for the Police National Computer, the local Staffordshire system (where the incident took place) and my local Leicestershire system (mainly out of interest). It will be interesting to see what these say.

So, given a clear Police Certificate and given that no mention has been made of it so far through this process, I'm tempted to make no further mention of my conviction. I think it would only cause confusion and probable delay if I did. Would anybody like to offer their opinion and the reasons for it?
Old Jan 14th 2014, 7:36 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Would anybody like to offer their opinion and the reasons for it?
If you are required to declare the incident, then you must - regardless of what the police certificate says. The incident did happen. That said, I doubt anything will come of it since it was 20+ years ago and your ACPO certificate shows "No Trace". Still, you don't want to lie about it!

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.