Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

How to report a marriage fraud to INS?

Wikiposts

How to report a marriage fraud to INS?

Old Dec 10th 2003, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

UKLiz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How to report a marriage fraud to INS?

Originally posted by jeffreyhy
There have been quite a few posts in recent months from people who feel that their spouses have entered the US fraudulantly, marrying them only to get the green card and then doing a runner. I am seeing more posting along this line now than I remember in the past.
I suggested that perhaps the government is not screening cases carefully enough if these alleged fraudulant situations are happening.
Regards, JEff
I know that there are some people who will marry a USC just to get a green card, but there are also some USC's who will marry without love being involved.

I know of a situation where the USC entered into marriage just to get hold of his partner's money - once the money was spent he ended the marriage, she had no option but to return to her home Country with nothing. She loved him, he only wanted her money and she had no idea of this until it was too late - she is still trying to rebuild her life.

I realise that the US Government are not going to concern themselves with screening the USC; quite rightly their only concern would be with the foreign partner. It just crossed my mind that when it comes to this subject no one ever seems to mention the possibility of the USC having motives other than love for marrying someone.
Old Dec 10th 2003, 1:30 am
space needle

It doesnt have to be fraud as a reason for break-ups. People can just be getting into relationships for all the same reasons that they dont work between state-side couples.

I believe that the notion that all these masses are desperate to come to the USA is a myth.

Old Dec 10th 2003, 1:31 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by UKLiz
I know that there are some people who will marry a USC just to get a green card, but there are also some USC's who will marry without love being involved.

I know of a situation where the USC entered into marriage just to get hold of his partner's money - once the money was spent he ended the marriage, she had no option but to return to her home Country with nothing. She loved him, he only wanted her money and she had no idea of this until it was too late - she is still trying to rebuild her life.

I realise that the US Government are not going to concern themselves with screening the USC; quite rightly their only concern would be with the foreign partner. It just crossed my mind that when it comes to this subject no one ever seems to mention the possibility of the USC having motives other than love for marrying someone.
Hi:

The scenario you paint is what is commonly called a "gold-digger" marriage. It is totally independent of immigration. Under the law, the golddigger is NOT a fraudulent marriage -- not for immigraton purposes and I don't think for annullment purposes either.

Please forgive me, but I hear the Eagles singing "Lying Eyes" going through my head.
Old Dec 10th 2003, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

UKLiz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

The scenario you paint is what is commonly called a "gold-digger" marriage. It is totally independent of immigration. Under the law, the golddigger is NOT a fraudulent marriage -- not for immigraton purposes and I don't think for annullment purposes either.

Please forgive me, but I hear the Eagles singing "Lying Eyes" going through my head.

I realise that this has nothing to do with immigration, it is just that when people become involved in this process they seem to only think one way. They are very quick to question the foreigner's motive for marrying a USC, but rarely the USC's motives for marrying the foreigner. I don't hear many people telling the foreign partner to be careful of what the USC might be after - but I do hear people warning others about the foreigner's motives.

Sometimes it just seems that people have this notion that everyone desperately wants to live in the US - almost as if every other Country is third world by comparison. I think I am just more aware of this because I know of someone who has been very badly damaged by a USC "gold digger".
Old Dec 10th 2003, 2:07 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Andrew Defaria

What is a marriage but a legal advantage anyway? Everything else can be done outside of a martial context that can be done inside a martial context save legal issues. Marriage is a legal contract and a status and with that contract/status comes certain legal advantages and disadvantages.
Speak for yourself. Marriage is also a spiritual union (for those of us who actually have a soul). Not to mention a religious requirement in many cases. For people that observe strict religious practices, they CANNOT live together or have children outside of marriage.

Leslie
Old Dec 10th 2003, 2:37 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I realise that this has nothing to do with immigration, it is just that when people become involved in this process they seem to only think one way. They are very quick to question the foreigner's motive for marrying a USC, but rarely the USC's motives for marrying the foreigner. I don't hear many people telling the foreign partner to be careful of what the USC might be after - but I do hear people warning others about the foreigner's motives.

Sometimes it just seems that people have this notion that everyone desperately wants to live in the US - almost as if every other Country is third world by comparison. I think I am just more aware of this because I know of someone who has been very badly damaged by a USC "gold digger".
I totally agree with you Liz. I get comments all the time of how I'm so lucky to be going to live in the US (hopefully). If I were to be totally brutal my other half probably has more to gain by marrying me in terms of assets etc., than by I do but it's always the asumption that I'm the one who has more to gain by moving to the US.

Things can and do go wrong, and whilst I'm not expecting anything other than a lifetime of happiness and peace of mind with Steve, I have taken steps to protect my assets and it's something that both of us have spoken about at length.
Old Dec 10th 2003, 5:16 am
Andrew Defaria

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html>
<head>
<meta content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1" http-equiv="Content-Type">
<title></title>
</head>
<body>
Leslie66 wrote:
<blockquote cite="[email protected]" type="cite">Originally
posted by Andrew Defaria <br>
<blockquote type="cite">What is a marriage but a legal advantage
anyway? Everything else can be done outside of a martial context that
can be done inside a martial context save legal issues. Marriage is a
legal contract and a status and with that contract/status comes certain
legal advantages and<br>
disadvantages. <br>
</blockquote>
<!---->Speak for yourself. </blockquote>
Did I ever claim to speak for anybody else?<br>
<blockquote cite="[email protected]" type="cite">Marriage
is also a spiritual union (for those of us who actually have a soul). </blockquote>
Understood, but irrelevant... <span class="moz-smiley-s1"><span> :-) </span></span><br>
<blockquote cite="[email protected]" type="cite">Not
to mention a religious requirement in many cases. For people that
observe strict religious practices, they CANNOT live together or have
children outside of marriage.<br>
</blockquote>
I would not use a strong word like cannot. They may feel very strongly
that they must marry. And yet still this rule is often broken anyway.<br>
-- <br>
If you think that there is good in everybody, you haven't met everybody.<br>
</body>
</html>

Old Dec 10th 2003, 10:09 am
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

They are very quick to question the foreigner's motive for marrying a USC, but rarely the USC's motives for marrying the foreigner.
I don't think its any secret that "some" U.S. citizens (certainly not all nor even a majority of them) use the fact of their dumb luck being born in the U.S. in order to get a trophy spouse that they would never be able to attract here in the U.S.

So I happen to agree with you that sometimes there is some "using" going on by both parties.
Old Dec 10th 2003, 10:56 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Matthew Udall
I don't think its any secret that "some" U.S. citizens (certainly not all nor even a majority of them) use the fact of their dumb luck being born in the U.S. in order to get a trophy spouse that they would never be able to attract here in the U.S.

So I happen to agree with you that sometimes there is some "using" going on by both parties.
I couldn't have said it better myself.
Old Dec 10th 2003, 11:20 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by elviswasmydad
you mean some USC who looks like he lives at the Krispy Creme Donut shop?

EWMD,
I have a feeling I know where you're going with this, and I wouldn't go there if I were you.

Be careful, huh?
~SG
Old Dec 10th 2003, 11:24 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by elviswasmydad
wouldn't dream of it, I was refering to myself. I often laugh at myself, several times a day it seems.
Right. Just remember that certain people may not interpret this as laughing at yourself. You wouldn't want any issues resulting from misinterpretation.

Take care.

~SG
Old Dec 10th 2003, 6:34 pm
Mrtrav

elviswasmydad wrote:

> Originally posted by Leslie66
    >
    >
    >>I couldn't have said it better myself.
    >
    >
    > you mean some USC who looks like he lives at the Krispy Creme
    > Donut shop?
    >

I don't live there, it's next door.

I live in a condo complex. The opposite side of the complex connects to
a shopping center. No KK store, but a grocery store that gets a fresh KK
delivery in the morning....

Old Dec 11th 2003, 1:46 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Matthew Udall

Hi:

I'm curious that the 'sham' DIVORCE issue hasn't been raised in this string yet. Just like in tax law, it has popped up in immigration. In fact, the BIA case on it cites to the tax laws.

I've been of the opinion for years that the BIA case was wrongfully decided, but I've never had a case walk in the door where I could challenge that case.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 2:10 am
WTF?

Originally posted by SecretGarden
EWMD,
I have a feeling I know where you're going with this, and I wouldn't go there if I were you.

Be careful, huh?
~SG