Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Yukon classification???

Yukon classification???

Old Sep 21st 2012, 2:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yukon classification???

Originally Posted by iaink
Its people who buy them and use them for a single occupant daily commute that do my head in.
My colleague says he likes the seats and the radio. His wife has suggested he use their spare car, a Honda Civic, but "it's a four banger, it can't pull itself up the hills" or her car, a BMW, but "it's cramped and people take the piss" and so he fills the Yukon with petrol every second day.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 2:33 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
My colleague says he likes the seats and the radio. His wife has suggested he use their spare car, a Honda Civic, but "it's a four banger, it can't pull itself up the hills" or her car, a BMW, but "it's cramped and people take the piss" and so he fills the Yukon with petrol every second day.
Where is that "facepalm" smiley when you need it...

I didnt realise there were that many mountain passes in your neck of the woods... my civic does just fine, even in top. Presumably his wifes is an Automatic, so even less excuse.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 2:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Where is that "facepalm" smiley when you need it...

I didnt realise there were that many mountain passes in your neck of the woods... my civic does just fine, even in top. Presumably his wifes is an Automatic, so even less excuse.
Only the Yukon is an automatic. I must admit I was a bit surprised to find that where he comes from a 5 series BMW is seen as being a hairdresser's car, like a Boxster, but then he does live in Barrie. I suppose I'd best not mention what I drive.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 4:49 pm
Collector of Junk!

missieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud of

Well its not for the purposes of towing anyway, its only the 4 small kids thing (5 to 10 months) and all the garbage you have to bring with you when you go anywhere along with one 15kg lakeland terrier who thinks her pride of place is anywhere the family goes! I did suggest a MPV which is what I drive at the minute but was told that this was safer when I questioned it.. Then again, what price do you put on your kids safety???

And Deer & Moose fatalities??? I'm assuming its dead people not animals?? Never factored that in and I'd probably just have a heart attack and keel over if I came across one anyway so no need for a Yukon! Me thinks that this "adventure" is going to take some getting used to! I'm starting to feel a little like Robinson Crusoe!
Old Sep 21st 2012, 5:00 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Its not really safer, just more weight and a higher center of gravity to bring to a stop or to change direction with than say a Honda Oddessy or Toyota Sienna.

I value my safety and that of my kids, and Id rather avoid the accident in the first place. I dont lose sleep driving my family around in my Civic.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 5:01 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missieleah
Well its not for the purposes of towing anyway, its only the 4 small kids thing (5 to 10 months) and all the garbage you have to bring with you when you go anywhere along with one 15kg lakeland terrier who thinks her pride of place is anywhere the family goes! I did suggest a MPV which is what I drive at the minute but was told that this was safer when I questioned it.. Then again, what price do you put on your kids safety???

And Deer & Moose fatalities??? I'm assuming its dead people not animals?? Never factored that in and I'd probably just have a heart attack and keel over if I came across one anyway so no need for a Yukon! Me thinks that this "adventure" is going to take some getting used to! I'm starting to feel a little like Robinson Crusoe!
In all seriousness, if you're after safe and practical transportation for a family of six plus a dog, you'd be much better off with a minivan than a Yukon. Easier to get into and out of, greater versatility of internal configuration, better fuel economy and a much more pleasant driving experience. The safety myth of high-centre-of-gravity behemoths is just that - a myth. Sure, if you run over a passing pedestrian you're less likely to notice it, but a more nimble vehicle (and compared to a Yukon, anything is nimble) is less likely to get you into trouble in the first place, and less likely to end up on its roof if you do.

Or, having just see Iain's post, "what he said."

Last edited by Oakvillian; Sep 21st 2012 at 5:02 pm. Reason: iaink got there first
Old Sep 21st 2012, 5:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on the type of vehicle you are driving and at what speed you hit a moose, elk or deer then there is the possibility of death by both human and animal. Newfoundland appears to have the most related human deaths when hitting a moose.
A Yukon may or may not stop death but its better than driving a Toyota Prius or smart car IMHO.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 5:16 pm
Collector of Junk!

missieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud of

What ever happened to walking???? It is just gone from the dictionary??
Old Sep 21st 2012, 5:27 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

What ever happened to walking???? It is just gone from the dictionary??
Canada is pretty spaced out. There are other reasons too.

If you already have the Yukon, then dont sweat it.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 5:40 pm
Collector of Junk!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...14Dec05016.jpg

Love the pic!
Old Sep 21st 2012, 5:48 pm
Collector of Junk!

We got rid of our gas guzzler here because of the cost of running it, I was only getting about 16/18 mpg out of it and it was only a 3.2. It was a pajero passenger and I found that even though it was 2wd/4wd, when you swapped it over in winter you'd spend most of the time driving (sking) sideways even at 10mph. We didn't have a bad winter last year so I didn't have a chance to test it out in bad conditions..

Anyhow, if we do end up on the roof at some stage (hopefully not) apparently we'll be able to watch a DVD upside down while waiting for a moose to come along and save us!
Old Sep 21st 2012, 5:51 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Not all 4WD/ AWD/ 4x4 systems are created equal, and the single most important factor in the winter is how well the 4 small patches of rubber in contact with the road grip in the cold / ice/ snow. I drove here for five years or so on "all season" tires before my better half got winter specific tires on her car, but having experienced the difference it was a real eye opener how much better they were in the cold, even on bare roads. Its not cheap though to buy into.

FWIW there is a whole section in the wiki on winter driving.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 21st 2012 at 5:56 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 5:55 pm
Collector of Junk!

Great, I'm going to have a look at that now, might be more beneficial than pondering on the moose/deer thing that I'm preoccupied with now!
Old Sep 21st 2012, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

When I was taking the bus to work I used to regard minus 20 as a nice warm winter's day. A fifteen minute walk home at minus 50 was a bit 'Scott of the Antarctic', though.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 10:34 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree. Get rid of the stupid thing. You'll just look silly driving it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.