Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Yukon classification???

Yukon classification???

Old Sep 20th 2012, 5:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yukon classification???

Originally Posted by bats
I saw one yesterday.
The vehicle or the other type of Hummer
If searching on google for the other type of Hummer you may have to modify your security settings for websites
Old Sep 20th 2012, 9:52 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Thats the Hummer classification
I refer to Hummers and the like as Urban Attack Vehicles. Although Oakvillian's definition has distinct merit.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 10:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
GMC Yukon = Chevy Tahoe

Its there in the insurance quick quote I just pulled up with all the other GMCs....

Yup, its going to cost a fortune to run. Unless you have a boat or horsebox to tow, and 3+kids, AND a big dog to schlep around all the time I dont see the point myself.
GMC Yukon = Chevy Suburban

They are a truck chassis with an "SUV" body on top. All the benefits of a truck, all the comforts of "car".

We have one. It has 3 rows of seats can comfortably seat 7 and still have room for lots of luggage in the portion behind the last seats. It's towing capacity depends on the model but, IIRC, they can all tow at least 7000lbs.

They are rear wheel drive and a real pain to drive in the snow if they are not equipped with 4WD. I have seen them stuck at lights on the flat in Calgary not going forward from a stationary position and fish tailing.

As others have said, not an ideal vehicle unless you wish to tow something but, if you are towing, they are a hard vehicle to beat for towing capacity/comfort.

Luckily, except when towing something, I only have to use mine to travel short distances.

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Sep 20th 2012 at 10:10 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 10:12 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

MPG Table, not great reading

http://www.truedelta.com/GMC-Yukon/mpg-103

In short you can drive approx 13-17 miles for approx $7

Last edited by magnumpi; Sep 20th 2012 at 10:16 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 10:14 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

New tires will cost a fortune, but so do any big truck tires. My friend Rocket has a Yukon and he just loves it but it's been sitting for months with a circuit board prob and no instruments. Don't worry, if you don't like it you can sell it and buy a different one. There are a few little winter driving rules you'll have to know if you don't already, about not leaving your car and basic survival, (you carry a kit in the tr... boot). And watch out for wildlife - we have fatalities here from hitting deer and moose and I think there's lots around where you're going.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 11:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
New tires will cost a fortune, but so do any big truck tires. My friend Rocket has a Yukon and he just loves it but it's been sitting for months with a circuit board prob and no instruments. Don't worry, if you don't like it you can sell it and buy a different one. There are a few little winter driving rules you'll have to know if you don't already, about not leaving your car and basic survival, (you carry a kit in the tr... boot). And watch out for wildlife - we have fatalities here from hitting deer and moose and I think there's lots around where you're going.
Since being here I have replaced tires on a Sebring, a Dodge Grand Caravan and a Yukon. IIRC, the cost was almost identical for all of them.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 12:01 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
....IIRC, they can all tow at least 7000lbs.

As others have said, not an ideal vehicle unless you wish to tow something but, if you are towing, they are a hard vehicle to beat for towing capacity/comfort.
If you need to tow something regularly, buy a truck. A 7000lb capacity is significantly lower than any full size truck offers, and if you leave youself a 25% headroom for towing then the capacity is quite moderate. A modern truck will be far more fuel efficient too.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 12:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by R I C H
If you need to tow something regularly, buy a truck. A 7000lb capacity is significantly lower than any full size truck offers, and if you leave youself a 25% headroom for towing then the capacity is quite moderate. A modern truck will be far more fuel efficient too.
Try transporting lots of kids, plus dogs, plus other shite in a truck in comfort. I agree that a truck has some advantages, as does a Yukon type vehicle. Each to their own and all that.

There are, of course, differing capacities on Yukon too.

I haven't compared new trucks versus new Yukons for engine efficiency. Is there much of a difference?
Old Sep 21st 2012, 2:03 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Try transporting lots of kids, plus dogs, plus other shite in a truck in comfort.
Tut tut. This is a family forum.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 3:11 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't compared new trucks versus new Yukons for engine efficiency. Is there much of a difference?
I've an Ecoboost F150 (3.5 twin turbo V6). It tows 11,000+lbs, and has 365hp. It's done 8,000kms since I purchased it this spring and has returned 12.5l/100kms, including towing a 7,500lb boat on summer weekends. My previous V8 F150 struggled to return 17l/100kms performing the same duties.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 1:30 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

GMC Yukon = Chevy Suburban

The Yukon "XL" = Suburban, the regular Yukon is equivalent to the Tahoe.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 21st 2012 at 1:32 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 1:32 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
My friend Rocket hasYukon and he just loves it but it's been sitting for months with a circuit board prob and no instruments. .
I know a guy with an H2 that has the same issue...
Old Sep 21st 2012, 1:37 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

I've an Ecoboost F150 (3.5 twin turbo V6). It tows 11,000+lbs, and has 365hp. It's done 8,000kms since I purchased it this spring and has returned 12.5l/100kms, including towing a 7,500lb boat on summer weekends. My previous V8 F150 struggled to return 17l/100kms performing the same duties.
By way of comparison, my boss has a 2010 5.4L F150 extended cab, he gets 14l/100km pretty much regardless of what hes doing with it.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 2:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by iaink
By way of comparison, my boss has a 2010 5.4L F150 extended cab, he gets 14l/100km pretty much regardless of what hes doing with it.
My reference earlier to new versus old was meant to indicate that, as new truck engines are more efficient, one would assume that similar efficiencies have been made in the engines of Yukons etc.

I have to admit that I have no idea what mileage mine achieves. When not towing, I don't use it much at all.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 2:16 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

I have to admit that I have no idea what mileage mine achieves. When not towing, I don't use it much at all.
If I had one I know I would avoid thinking about it as well!

As you say, in some circumstances its a great choice... large family, towing, lots of stuff. But you accept then that there will be a price to pay for that utility... its a compromise some are willing to accept.

Its people who buy them and use them for a single occupant daily commute that do my head in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.