Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Yukon classification???

Yukon classification???

Old Sep 21st 2012, 10:37 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yukon classification???

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I disagree. Get rid of the stupid thing. You'll just look silly driving it.
I was trying to be nice... Its not like they went looking for the behemoth, it was arranged for them.

I just didnt want them thinking they were driving the kids around in a death trap... they are not that bad, just no safer than the alternatives.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 10:44 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
I was trying to be nice... Its not like they went looking for the behemoth, it was arranged for them.

I just didnt want them thinking they were driving the kids around in a death trap... they are not that bad, just no safer than the alternatives.
I didn't mean to suggest that it's a death trap. Simply a social embarrassment. And f***ing expensive to run.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 10:58 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

The gas hog Yukon won't look out of place in Kindersley at all, and neither would a minivan. I'm a minivan fan!
Kindersley - Goose Hunting Capital of Canada

Last edited by caretaker; Sep 21st 2012 at 11:08 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 11:05 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Embrace the monster! Enjoy it. One day you'll have a little rice burning thingy but there's no need to rush into that.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by missieleah
We got rid of our gas guzzler here because of the cost of running it, I was only getting about 16/18 mpg out of it
nice, howd you manage that? i had a tahoe rental for 8 weeks and averaged 9mpg, i thought it was pretty good

practically though i should have taken the dodge caravan
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 9:50 am
Collector of Junk!

missieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Insurance in Saskatchewan is Govt run not private if not already aware.
http://www.sgi.sk.ca/
No need to shop around for rates they tell you what to pay
Isn't the insurance scheme in SK fab.... why don't they practice it everywhere.. seems like a fairer scheme than in the rest of the provinces
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 1:46 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

You can buy extra coverage as well for wildlife accidents and auto glass replacement but I've never bothered with either. I've only hit 1 deer so far, totaling VW Rabbit, and I buy used windows from the auto wrecker when I need them.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 3:39 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

The need to compensate eh for the inadequacies by getting a truck
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 10:29 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't the insurance scheme in SK fab.... why don't they practice it everywhere.. seems like a fairer scheme than in the rest of the provinces
Agreed. My sprog lives in Regina and there's no way he could afford insurance in any other province. At least, certainly not in Ontario.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 10:42 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
The need to compensate eh for the inadequacies by getting a truck
A refresher for you pal

Quote:

OH's boss has got us a Yukon to drive.
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 4:47 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

All in all I reckon you'll be just fine, hopefully its the 4wd. Enough room for all your stuff, towing capacity, big enough not to feel little when faced with wildlife (btw they reckon if you swerve and miss the deer and hit the tree, it's classed as your fault - apparently its better to hit the animal - beware though, even in a 4wd you'll end up with the front axle sheared, front end caved in, windshield smashed and on your side in a ditch - ahem so I'm told...........!!!) and sturdy enough to get you through the lovely Sask snow drifts
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 10:45 am
Stand-up Philosopher

I suppose I overdid the wildlife thing - very few people ever have a problem with it. Simple precautions like slowing down a bit at night, when driving into the sunrise or sunset, (I hit mine driving into the sunset), and just watching for them and braking when they're on or near the road are the biggest things. Swerving only helps half the time because even the deer doesn't know which way to go when a car is coming and they'll turn around and try to go back where they came from sometimes. I've found the safest course is to keep the vehicle straight, honk the horn like crazy, and stop or slow down (REALLY slow down, it takes them 2 seconds to jump out of the ditch) until they're clear of the road. Deer are nocturnal except during the rut (about 2 weeks in the middle of November) when they're chasing each other all over the place 24/7, so normally the prime times for seeing them are at dawn and dusk when they're moving between their feeding and bedding areas, or where they cross a road to get to water before bedding down. You can buy deer whistles to stick on your roof or front bumper, but most people don't bother cleaning the bugs out of them in summer so they won't work. I found that most deer I passed while the whistles were on were looking at me, but during the rut they didn't make much difference. Looking out for deer isn't a problem. Video of deer getting hit is just depressing, so I'm posting this one of a pig rescuing a baby goat. after you hit one; you see them in every shadow for awhile.

Last edited by caretaker; Sep 23rd 2012 at 11:59 am. Reason: i do tend to go on
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 1:11 pm
Collector of Junk!

missieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud of

Thanks Caretaker... that REALLY made me feel better..
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 1:17 pm
Collector of Junk!

Originally Posted by magnumpi
A refresher for you pal

Quote:

OH's boss has got us a Yukon to drive.
Thanks for the moral support. Actually OH's boss knew we were going to be strapped for cash after the move and offered us his second hand one (2006) as he just got a new one. He is going to rent it to us when we get there until we get on our feet.. its not cheap to move 4 kids! Anyway, I thought it was a very nice gesture seeing as he didn't have to do it and it takes a lot of pressure off us having to arrange transport immediately. BTW... he is also putting in 4 kids car seats so we can transport safely as well as housing for us, so I'm working out that the Canadian people are just FAB!
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 4:08 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the moral support. Actually OH's boss knew we were going to be strapped for cash after the move and offered us his second hand one (2006) as he just got a new one. He is going to rent it to us when we get there until we get on our feet.. its not cheap to move 4 kids! Anyway, I thought it was a very nice gesture seeing as he didn't have to do it and it takes a lot of pressure off us having to arrange transport immediately. BTW... he is also putting in 4 kids car seats so we can transport safely as well as housing for us, so I'm working out that the Canadian people are just FAB!
Well...don't get use to it, wait until you get on the road and have to merge. The "boss" is just 1 out of 30 million people

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.