Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What are you doing to combat climate change?

What are you doing to combat climate change?

Old Oct 2nd 2019, 11:53 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are you doing to combat climate change?

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Out in the desert where my mom lives, solar panels on houses are becoming more and more popular, and also noticing places putting in car ports in parking lots and covering the tops with solar panels, keeps the cars out of the sun and produces energy. So. California in general seems to be going more towards solar, even in San Diego where my dad is a lot of solar panels appearing on roofs.

It just makes sense to have solar panels in hot climates. We got 16 installed when we bought our house on our return to Oz a year ago, and the savings and rebates so far cover a third of what we paid.

Some years ago the federal government had a huge push for people to get solar, they provided rebates of up to 80% of the cost of having them installed. Too many people took them up on the offer, so they stopped it Electricity companies are the same, they used to pay 42c for every unit of energy fed back to the grid, now they only pay 15c. Meanwhile, we still have huge mines ripping coal out of the earth
Old Oct 3rd 2019, 3:52 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

I am not using TWO big private jets
Old Oct 3rd 2019, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

finlay888 is an unknown quantity at this point

did not ask what you are not doing as you cant afford it.

what are you doing to reduce your carbon footprint when you can afford it
Old Oct 3rd 2019, 5:14 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by finlay888
did not ask what you are not doing as you cant afford it.

what are you doing to reduce your carbon footprint when you can afford it
Actually, you didn't ask anything, Jingamichy did! You're a bit pushy for a newbie
Old Oct 3rd 2019, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

The problem with most people is they wont do anything unless they are are pushed, you have a carbon footprint of probably 6-8mt per year, what are you going to do about it to reduce it for the sake of this planet.

Australia is on course for a summer of biblical proportions, like 55.c will you then think about doing some thing about your carbon footprint or just think it is a one off.

people like me have to get on our soap boxes and shout at the likes of you to get off your butts and do something about your carbon footprint, and if you want me to tell you how to please let me know.

my carbon footprint is 1.8mt as I have to catch local public transport or I walk every where if it is not more than 3 miles, and I dont drive any type of car/motor bike, my house has a zero carbon footprint for all of its heating and hot water and electrical demands 24/7.

I will get an electrical car and van in the new year, that does not need an infrastructure to charge the batteries, as the battery system is self charging when in motion.

In Wales (not new south wales) it is not a coincidence that we have the greenest grass of all, as it is all about our environment that we look after not just for ourselves but for all future populations.
Old Oct 3rd 2019, 7:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I used a carbon foot print calculator, and I guess being poor is good for the planet. Now its not 100% accurate as I didn't have record of amount of natural gas as natural gas isn't metered by unit, the building has 1 gas meter for everything including the commercial units, the only in unit appliance that uses natural gas is the stove which we rarely use, and the hot water is presumably heated by natural gas,but as its provided by a central source to the entire building, I couldn't even know how to figure out how much natural gas we might be using for our usage of hot water and cooking use.
  • Your footprint is 2.57 metric tons per year
  • The average footprint for people in Canada is 15.12 metric tons
  • The average for the European Union is about 6.4 metric tons
  • The average worldwide carbon footprint is about 5 metric tons
  • The worldwide target to combat climate change is 2 metric tons

https://www.carbonfootprint.com/calculator.aspx is what I used.
Old Oct 3rd 2019, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your input.

all we need now is the other 2,999,999,998 to to the same and then commit to reducing their carbon footprint number drastically by a methodology and technology that will give a zero carbon footprint in your home for a zero cap ex cost.
Old Oct 3rd 2019, 8:17 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

carbon off set

I am on a diet pass me a burger 🍔

Mmmm that was nice

Let me now pay for that guys salad 🥗
Old Oct 3rd 2019, 9:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with most people is they wont do anything unless they are are pushed, you have a carbon footprint of probably 6-8mt per year, what are you going to do about it to reduce it for the sake of this planet.

Australia is on course for a summer of biblical proportions, like 55.c will you then think about doing some thing about your carbon footprint or just think it is a one off.

people like me have to get on our soap boxes and shout at the likes of you to get off your butts and do something about your carbon footprint, and if you want me to tell you how to please let me know.

my carbon footprint is 1.8mt as I have to catch local public transport or I walk every where if it is not more than 3 miles, and I dont drive any type of car/motor bike, my house has a zero carbon footprint for all of its heating and hot water and electrical demands 24/7.

I will get an electrical car and van in the new year, that does not need an infrastructure to charge the batteries, as the battery system is self charging when in motion.

In Wales (not new south wales) it is not a coincidence that we have the greenest grass of all, as it is all about our environment that we look after not just for ourselves but for all future populations.
Could please explain to me the science behind your proposed vehicle's battery.
Old Oct 3rd 2019, 9:39 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Could please explain to me the science behind your proposed vehicle's battery.

Old Oct 3rd 2019, 10:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

What about the slag heaps?
Old Oct 3rd 2019, 11:20 pm
Concierge

If you want me to respond to your posts you'll need to drop the smug, patronising and combative attitude. You're enough to give someone an ulcer
Old Oct 4th 2019, 12:23 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

In Wales it is not a coincidence that we have the greenest grass of all...
Just coz Tom Jones sang it?

Old Oct 4th 2019, 12:26 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Let's play nicely .. this is the Canada Maple Leaf, not "Take it Outside" in the Lounge

I'll give a quick reminder of Site Rule 1
1. Personal Attacks
BritishExpats.com is an interactive site, and everyone who participates is “in it together”, please treat others the way you wish to be treated. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. Challenge others’ points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfullywithout insult or personal attack.

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 4th 2019 at 12:31 am.
Old Oct 4th 2019, 8:17 am
Just Joined

The slag heaps of Wales is coal that was not fit for purpose, Welsh coal was or had the highest burn efficiency of any coal in the world, so very little carbon footprint compared to oil or gas today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.