Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What are you doing to combat climate change?

What are you doing to combat climate change?

Old Oct 2nd 2019, 10:48 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are you doing to combat climate change?

Originally Posted by dave_j
I don't think that any of my posts have derided anyone, the 'expert' doth protest too much, methinks.
If you'd read my posts you'd understand a little more, and as a noted 'expert' in your field perhaps you'd care to comment.
I have read your posts on this thread and they are all rubbish, reflecting your own short and narrow prejudices.

Am I correct in stating that CO2 levels are historically high?
No. CO2 has often been much higher than present, but not since humans began to evolve ca. 5 million years ago.
Am I correct in assuming that one CO2 sink that is the world's oceans cannot absorb all the CO2 being generated?
No. Well, not all but given a cessation of emission the ocean would reach equilibrium with the atmosphere in a couple of hundred years, thus reducing CO@ in the atmosphere drastically.
Am I correct in observing that political responses to this issue have fallen below those required to address the issue?
Yes.
Am I correct in observing that oil is still being pumped out of the ground and coal is still being mined and that these resources are being combusted to generate even more CO2?
Yes. But not for much longer.
Am I correct in observing that carbon sinks like the Amazon basin are being systematically denuded of their valuable vegitation?
Yes and that's got to stop. Bye bye Bolsanaro
Am I correct in observing that individuals in general left to themselves will do little to reduce their carbon footprint?
No.
Am I correct in assuming that as the world GDP rises and as the world population increases then consumption of hydrocarbons will very likely increase alongside?
The world GDP will not increase if the climate warms much more. It's a bit like a thermostat.
Am I therefore correct in assuming that CO2 levels will continue to increase?
No.
CO2 levels can only be controlled using an approach that promotes CO2 atmospheric removal so perhaps you can advise how the individual can actively contribute to CO2 removal in addition to planting trees.
No. That's silly. Stopping the emissions will suffice.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Oct 2nd 2019 at 10:51 am.
Old Oct 2nd 2019, 11:41 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Reminds me of when some people in Vancouver tried to do the 100 mile diet challenge. They had to go without salt because all the salt is imported further than 100 miles away.
Did they think about boiling sea water?
Old Oct 2nd 2019, 1:25 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Did they think about boiling sea water?
That's done here - although the production location is rather more than 100km away from most of the population. https://newfoundlandsaltcompany.com/
Old Oct 2nd 2019, 1:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Is it supposed to solve it?

It's supposed to help and encourage a mindset change and it's worked elsewhere.

If one is told something is going to cost more and the idea is to look for a better alternative and one chooses to pay more rather than the alternative, whose fault is that?
The only question is do they have more money than sense?
If that is its purpose, it needs to be set at a much higher rate and those on low income should not receive any form of rebate, unless, of course, the carbon pollution of those on low income is not as harmful to the planet as the same amount polluted by those on a higher income.
Old Oct 2nd 2019, 4:01 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I have read your posts on this thread and they are all rubbish, reflecting your own short and narrow prejudices.
Many thanks for your deliberations. I have to say that I wasn't prepared to consider 5 million year old data in my arguments, I tend to deal with the world as it is today.
Your bold assertion that CO2 levels wouldn't continue to increase is astounding and I'm forced to believe that you don't really believe it yourself. You will know that approximately 45-50% of current CO2 production ends up in the air we breathe.
Your bland statement that it'll take a few hundred years for the oceans to reach equilibrium AFTER a cessation of CO2 production sounds promising but the real world doesn't work like that, especially since " Global oil demand rose by 1.3% in 2018 ".
The 'silly' point I was making is that CO2 levels are rising, climate change driven by CO2 levels is increasing it's pace and this will only slow down once efforts are made to reduce CO2 levels.
Even if the man in the street drastically reduces his carbon use, he will have to reduce it by 50% or he will still be adding to CO2 emissions, but the tree that he plants will offset a little of this. This might have been a flippant argument but it's a simple example of what he can do to absorb rather than produce CO2.
I do find that your basing your counter-argument to my 'silly' statement on a complete cessation of CO2 emissions to be a little to idealistic, this will not happen in the near term.
I understand that you take a much longer term view than I do and to an extent I agree that perhaps in a few hundred years as deep ocean waters, etc, start to absorb more CO2 then equilibrium will be attained, as in fact it must, but in the meantime....
Anyway thanks again for your input, I do enjoy reading your comments, none of which I find silly, unrealistic perhaps, but never silly.

Old Oct 2nd 2019, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

finlay888 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default some of you are only thinking Armageddon

None of you think there is an alternative to fossil fuels for us to carry on living our lives as is, but there is an alternative energy source that has a zero carbon footprint, and the world gets up to it every morning (guaranteed).

and it is this energy source that not only has a free carbon footprint, it is also free to use in a multitude of ways, be it cooking,lighting or driving or sailing or flying, the source is their for the whole world to use, and so is the technology for all modes of transport and all living energy demands.
In the world there are approx 8 billion people, 5 billion have no carbon footprint in there daily lives or have a small one, it is the other 3 billion that has a massive carbon footprint compared to the other 5B, and it it they who are killing this world.

what is your carbon footprint living in your home per year
what is your carbon footprint travelling about your daily duties per year
what is your flying carbon footprint per year

add all these up and your carbon footprint will be 6-8mt of carbon you put into the atmosphere per year, then times it by the number of people living in your town, and then reduce it by 50%, you then have a platform to beating climate change if you have the will, and in 5 years you could have a further 25% carbon footprint reduction if you have the will, then and only then will we start to see the reduction of carbon in the atmosphere and the glaziers melting start to slow down.

where theirs a will there is a way

Old Oct 2nd 2019, 4:56 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: some of you are only thinking Armageddon

Originally Posted by finlay888
None of you think there is an alternative to fossil fuels for us to carry on living our lives as is,
Bong! I suspect we've all seen a windmill.
Old Oct 2nd 2019, 5:29 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

None of you think there is an alternative to fossil fuels for us to carry on living our lives as is
Bit of a sweeping statement there I've spent the last ten years working to transition the world to renewables, how about you?
Old Oct 2nd 2019, 6:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kooky.
Bit of a sweeping statement there I've spent the last ten years working to transition the world to renewables, how about you?
Are renewables able to provide the world's entire current energy needs (for this purpose let's assume that we are only talking about humans' energy needs and enough turbines, solar panels, etc. were available) and, if not, what is the shortfall between what is required and what can be provided? I have no idea, I am simply interested to know the answer.
Old Oct 2nd 2019, 6:55 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Are renewables able to provide the world's entire current energy needs (for this purpose let's assume that we are only talking about humans' energy needs and enough turbines, solar panels, etc. were available) and, if not, what is the shortfall between what is required and what can be provided? I have no idea, I am simply interested to know the answer.
I'm not a scientist or engineer but yes, I believe they are. I can dig out some papers and links on it if you'd like to read up, but look to Europe for inspiration on this. I'm a Brit by birth but Aussie by adoption and it horrifies me how far behind Australia is on this compared to Europe. I love landing at Heathrow every year (well no I don't but bear with me) and seeing all the wind turbines as we travel north. Out to sea from my home town in the NE of England - 27 beautiful turbines.

Scotland, as an example, claims to be on track for 100% renewables by 2020 - um, that's not far off now!

We need to shift investment from fossil fuels to renewables - the potential is definitely there. One of the main barriers is that the fossil fuel industry is often in bed with, and a big donor to, our pollies. And we so-called developed countries believe the lies that poor people in India need our coal to make electricity. In truth, they are way ahead of us and we should be helping them in that. But I'll get off my soapbox now
Old Oct 2nd 2019, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

finlay888 is an unknown quantity at this point

10 years, you are only a boy with no experience, I have 40 years in the fossil energy and the renewable energy fields, and the fields are not wind or solar as there is not enough land mass for those steam age systems.
Old Oct 2nd 2019, 9:14 pm
Auntie Fa

10 years, you are only a boy with no experience, I have 40 years in the fossil energy and the renewable energy fields, and the fields are not wind or solar as there is not enough land mass for those steam age systems.
I’m a boy? 😳

I didn’t realise it was a competition but I do object to your assumption that nobody else knows anything about alternatives.

But if you start suggesting nuclear, you’re on your own.
Old Oct 2nd 2019, 10:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Kooky.
I'm not a scientist or engineer but yes, I believe they are. I can dig out some papers and links on it if you'd like to read up, but look to Europe for inspiration on this. I'm a Brit by birth but Aussie by adoption and it horrifies me how far behind Australia is on this compared to Europe. I love landing at Heathrow every year (well no I don't but bear with me) and seeing all the wind turbines as we travel north. Out to sea from my home town in the NE of England - 27 beautiful turbines.

Scotland, as an example, claims to be on track for 100% renewables by 2020 - um, that's not far off now!

We need to shift investment from fossil fuels to renewables - the potential is definitely there. One of the main barriers is that the fossil fuel industry is often in bed with, and a big donor to, our pollies. And we so-called developed countries believe the lies that poor people in India need our coal to make electricity. In truth, they are way ahead of us and we should be helping them in that. But I'll get off my soapbox now
Thank you. I accept that it is location dependent. About an hour south of me they have a large number of wind turbines on a ridge that is a very windy place. I haven't seen any real solar areas near to me, notwithstanding the fact that it is a very sunny place.
Old Oct 2nd 2019, 10:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What do you believe the shortfall is and what other systems would you recommend?
Old Oct 2nd 2019, 10:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Out in the desert where my mom lives, solar panels on houses are becoming more and more popular, and also noticing places putting in car ports in parking lots and covering the tops with solar panels, keeps the cars out of the sun and produces energy. So. California in general seems to be going more towards solar, even in San Diego where my dad is a lot of solar panels appearing on roofs.

Fair amount of wind turbines as well out near Palm Springs, they have been there for years.

Guess my great aunt was a head of the times in the 80's when she had a solar panel to heat their hot water.

Out in the desert as well where farmers used to grow food using tons of water, are now becoming solar farms. Never seemed to make sense to grow food where there was little naturally occurring water, and now seems its becoming more cost effective to produce electricity via solar vs growing food on the same land.

Still a long way to go though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.