Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What are you doing to combat climate change?

What are you doing to combat climate change?

Old Sep 26th 2019, 9:59 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default What are you doing to combat climate change?

It's real. It's very real. Glaciers are melting, weather patterns are changing.

Who is still buying outdoor patio gas heaters? Who would deny that their Canada carbon footprint is greater than their UK carbon footprint?

Should Canada discourage immigration because of the poor eco effects?
Old Sep 26th 2019, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are you doing to combat climate change?

I try to eat less fart inducing foods, which is difficult as I do eat lots of veggies and in particular, brussel sprouts! 🤔😉
Old Sep 26th 2019, 10:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Living in a small apartment
Not having kids
Not having much money so not a big consumer of goods, got rid of all my aquariums.
BC Hydro says our electric use is 32% lower vs our neighbors so we are good there.
Not working so no commute necessary so not burning fuel on a daily basis.
Eat little meat as its expensive.

I think I have done my part.
Old Sep 26th 2019, 10:40 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

It's an uncomfortable fact that it's already too late to do anything useful.
Carbon dioxide levels are already high and together with other greenhouse gases they will continue to rise. It won't go away. There is no magic bullet for this problem. Even if the entire world became carbon neutral, the effects would still be there and they won't be getting better while we continue to burn oil and coal.
The effects that these gases are having will continue to get worse into the foreseeable future and politicians will do nothing to prevent it.
And us, the greedy little animals who live on this planet, we will do little to help and will do much to make it worse. We would crucify anyone suggesting that we limit some of our energy intensive lifestyle.
I fear for my grandchildren and hope that the region they will live in will remain above sea level and not subject to threatening weather patterns. No doubt they'll be subject to the effects of climate change, but perhaps their generation will do better than mine did.
Old Sep 26th 2019, 11:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect that my carbon footprint is far less here than it was in the UK.

Our electricity is, for the most part, solar and wind from devices that we have on our property. We sell our excess back to the grid and we use the grid when our system can't provide what we need when we need it. They buy from us at the same rate we buy from them. They owe us money each month so we generate more than we use.

We cannot produce our own gas and, if I could heat using geo thermal, I would but I have been told by the local experts that we can't.

I drive a Fiesta and my daily mileage is less than it was in the UK.

I dont fly anymore and, once in the city, I take the c-train to work.

We grow as much of our food as we can but se own animals 5hat eat grass and fat.

I believe that we have done as much as we realistically can, although I accept that I could live closer to work.
Old Sep 26th 2019, 11:39 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

We now commute by hybrid car and use that car for most of our non-commuting mileage. We don't eat red meat, we heat with wood. I actively avoid goods packed in type 1 plastics and avoid packaged food generally.. I have led a campaign in the office to make people who buy from Tim Hortons figures of derision; they've gradually learned to use the kettle.

But then, as above, there are the horses.
Old Sep 27th 2019, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

seascape is a jewel in the roughseascape is a jewel in the roughseascape is a jewel in the roughseascape is a jewel in the rough

Interesting topic and something heavily on my mind as we tour around NS just now looking at places we might like to stay for part of the year, returning to UK for winter. Doesn’t really fit well with reducing our carbon footprint. So maybe we just need to stay put and travel through google in the future.
Old Sep 27th 2019, 3:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

On the one hand in Canada I'm heating the house a lot more than back in the UK and cooling with AC whereas I didn't do that at all. But both of these would be happening in this house and to this Canadian family wherever they were living.

On the other hand I'm no longer flying somewhere and back twice a year, but the plane I'd be on probably still is. Unless it was one of Thomas Cook's or Monarch.
Old Sep 27th 2019, 3:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, we don't have air conditioning, that's a ridiculous affectation when you're in Canada. We don't print anything or have any hard copy correspondence for domestic or business purposes.
Old Sep 27th 2019, 4:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I, of course, only object to global warming because I am not a Man of God:

https://thefederalist.com/2019/09/26...nded-paganism/
Old Sep 27th 2019, 4:21 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Global warming my arse.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...-b-c-1.5299699
Old Sep 27th 2019, 4:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Electric cars and renewable energy heating system (ground source heat pumps). Plus all the usual recycling etc. But I'm pretty sure we negate the good we do with flying several times a year.
Old Sep 27th 2019, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

I drive a used Honda Civic Hybrid to and from work that does about 6l/100km, will likely get a used electric car when that dies. I am vegetarian - no meat or fish - which helps a bit. Rarely fly by plane anywhere (once every 3 years or so?)

Right now I live in a townhouse, so I'm a little constrained on what I can do. What I hate the most is in summer time using a tumble drier to dry my clothes, I'm hoping we'll move somewhere where we'll be able to air-dry them.
Old Sep 27th 2019, 4:51 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I have re-usable bags that I use for groceries. I've been pretty focused on reducing my intake of single use plastic to try and reduce the impact that has.

Climate change is not really on my radar as I'm too busy preparing for Canadian winter.

Mankind will drive itself to extinction and the world will reset and start again. No big deal as we'll all be long gone. Climate change is simply a process.

Last edited by JamesM; Sep 27th 2019 at 4:53 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2019, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

We’ve lived here 8 years and for all of that time one of our recycling boxes has been an old yellow toy box no bigger than the regular recycling boxes but a slightly different shape. If we had enough recycling to need it as a second box it’s always been emptied, except for the last 2 weeks. Checking the council website turns out they won’t empty non regulation boxes.

I am not sure how many times a recycling box would have to be emptied to justify buying another one, but after CBC reports that most Canadian plastic recycling is burning/polluting Malaysia I am guessing it won’t happen before I die/the world ends.

As for what I do, apart from this pointless recycling, well the answer is probably nothing that’s anything more than a token gesture (reusable water bottles, straws, etc).

I drive a lot, have 3 resource draining offspring, air conditioning blah blah blah. I suck. Others are worse, but I would like to be better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.