Wikiposts

Weight lost attempts

Old Nov 7th 2014, 4:25 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weight lost attempts

Old Nov 7th 2014, 4:32 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

OP, why not ask your GP for a referral to a dietitian? If you have high blood sugar and are overweight then you may be able to see one at one of the hospitals and not have to pay.

I had gastric banding done 5.5 years ago and it was, for me, the best thing ever. I lost nearly 37 kg (80 lbs) over the course of 3 years and went from a size 26 to a 16. I then saved like crazy and two years ago had surgery to remove 4.8 kg of excess skin. People who don't know about the procedure think that it's a quick or easy fix. It's not. One of the best things my surgeon did for me was refer me to a dietitian to work out a healthy eating plan to ensure that with my very small portions I still got enough nutrients. There are a few things that I cannot physically tolerate eating, so I avoid them. Pretty much anything white gets stuck and is extremely painful, but thankfully most white stuff isn't really chock full of good stuff anyway.

The good advice I got was that the more colourful the food the higher it is in vitamins. Carrots, while high in sugar are a bright vegetable and contain loads of vitamins A and C. Broccoli is high in fibre and full of good stuff. She also told me to use a set of kitchen scales to weight portions. And not to deprive myself. If I want ice cream then I have ice cream. I just know that the rest of the day I need to eat lower calorie foods to make up for it. Oh, and stop when you're full. A lot of people my age were raised to finish everything on your plate which is a very bad habit. I always try to leave at least something on my plate when I put my fork down and leave the table. That's something else. Make meal times something nice...eat at the table with no distractions. TV off, no phones, etc. Take at least 30 minutes for a meal so you don't overeat; you'll begin to feel full and tend to eat less if you slow down.

Good luck with your weight loss journey. It's very tough to maintain once you reach your goal, but if you develop good eating habits it will only get easier.
Old Nov 7th 2014, 5:21 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Somebody on the news had that done on the cheap in mexico. They came back with a hole in their stomach which the food fell out of.
Old Nov 7th 2014, 6:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Has anyone found a way to have fish taste good?
Follow recipe here:

How to cook perfect jerk chicken | Life and style | The Guardian

delete chicken, substitute whichever white fish is cheapest this week. Serve over grits (cheese grits if you will).

No idea if it's calorie efficient but it's cheap, tasty and quick to make.
Old Nov 7th 2014, 11:14 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

The fruit will be worked on. I just have to figure out how to make vegetables taste good, I have a very select few I can currently tolerate....

I can certainly say for me car = getting fatter.

When I lived in Abbotsford and Vancouver and was taking transit/walking I had no issues, and maintained a healthy weight, but in the past 13 months I have gained 40 ish pounds, only thing that has changed is not taking transit and not walking as much since it's not feasible to get around this town that way, so a car is a must.

Hopefully next summer we can move and I can go back to my transit/walking ways to get around.
You gained 3 stone in a year?! Bloody hell, I can see why you started the thread. Maybe engineer some walking into your routine. I often park 5 or 10 minutes away from where I want to go so I can force a walk in (and not have to bother with parking meters ) it works. Squamish is small, do you use your car in town, maybe you could make a no in-town car use rule?
Old Nov 8th 2014, 2:38 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Or just disguise the taste enough. Also depends on the price of the fish. Haddock's way more expensive than chicken.

Pollock works fine.
one could always try the zero flavour 'Basa fillets' real cheap around $0.99/Ib frozen - look in one of the chinese grocery stores.

Simply cook in a pan (not too much oil) flash fried, add all kinds of herbs & spices, salt & pepper, cilantro, parsley, red pepper, lemon etc etc, some cream ....
Old Nov 8th 2014, 4:32 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Yeah... who wants fat kids? I blame the parents.
I feel sorry for their creepy uncles. Sure they're easier to catch, but who wants to fiddle with a fatty?
Old Nov 8th 2014, 5:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Tootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond repute

Have you had your thyroid checked? That is a lot of weight to gain just by giving up walking!!

I'm starting this weight loss malarkey. Just discovered my blood pressure is through the roof so now on medication to bring it down. Weight loss has to be part of the new regime! Good luck to us both!!
Old Nov 8th 2014, 6:24 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I feel sorry for their creepy uncles. Sure they're easier to catch, but who wants to fiddle with a fatty?
I thought the cute pig picture was a better post
Old Nov 8th 2014, 6:47 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
one could always try the zero flavour 'Basa fillets' real cheap...
I bought some in Giant Tiger. Reminded me of soggy paper allowed to dry.
Old Nov 8th 2014, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone found a way to have fish taste good? I have tried every combination I can think of (my other half eats fish 2-3 times a week) and I cannot make fish of any sort taste good.

I can tolerate canned tuna with lots of mayo as a sandwich, but anything else is just gross.

I've tried a variety of sea food over the years and making it taste good has not been possible.

Suppose I could just be one of those who will never find fish tasty.
Did your parents feed you fish growing up? What did you eat as a child?

I find that often people who say they don't like fish are people who have never had access to fresh fish. There's a world of difference between fresh caught fish and canned/frozen/processed fish.

I baked a wild Coho last night with a grainy mustard, soy, honey, and hot sauce glaze = YUM!
Here's the recipe: http://www.thestar.com/life/food_win...ed_salmon.html

I'm also a fan of simple wild salmon over a grill/BBQ. No sauces are needed - only some fresh dill and a slice of lemon. If I want a sauce, I typically go for Japanese-inspired recipes - teriyaki, soy, garlic, etc. Fresh halibut cooked with a butter, lemon, vermouth, caper sauce is also one of my favourites. Lingcod is another choice I go for here in BC, which is often the cheapest and the mildest in terms of flavour. Lingcod is good for fish & chips, but is also delicious in a coconut cream curry. All these types of fish are easily found on the BC coast - they're local, fresh, and delicious. This how I typically eat fish. This is how I make it taste good, although, I'm also a believer that fish tastes good on its own. When fish is fresh, it doesn't have that "fishy" flavour or smell or taste.

Last edited by Lychee; Nov 8th 2014 at 7:02 am.
Old Nov 8th 2014, 7:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tootlepootle
Have you had your thyroid checked? That is a lot of weight to gain just by giving up walking!!

I'm starting this weight loss malarkey. Just discovered my blood pressure is through the roof so now on medication to bring it down. Weight loss has to be part of the new regime! Good luck to us both!!
Yes good luck to you as well.

I have had thyroid checked and its all good, and the doctor has checked just about everything under the sun and only 2 things that came back outside the normal range was blood sugar and cholesterol but within a range that isn't a concern provided there is some diet changes.

The only other thing to come back abnormal are my liver enzymes, they are not super high, but elevated above normal, so far the cause is unknown, the ultra sound showed no abnormalities of my liver, so its still a work in progress and unknown why my liver enzymes are elevated.

Originally Posted by Lychee
Did your parents feed you fish growing up? What did you eat as a child?

I find that often people who say they don't like fish are people who have never had access to fresh fish. There's a world of difference between fresh caught fish and canned/frozen/processed fish.

I baked a wild Coho last night with a grainy mustard, soy, honey, and hot sauce glaze = YUM!
Here's the recipe: Cook This Book: Slow-baked salmon | Toronto Star

I'm also a fan of simple wild salmon over a grill/BBQ. No sauces are needed - only some fresh dill and a slice of lemon. If I want a sauce, I typically go for Japanese-inspired recipes - teriyaki, soy, garlic, etc. Fresh halibut cooked with a butter, lemon, vermouth, caper sauce is also one of my favourites. Lingcod is another choice I go for here in BC, which is often the cheapest and the mildest in terms of flavour. Lingcod is good for fish & chips, but is also delicious in a coconut cream curry. All these types of fish are easily found on the BC coast - they're local, fresh, and delicious. This how I typically eat fish. This is how I make it taste good, although, I'm also a believer that fish tastes good on its own. When fish is fresh, it doesn't have that "fishy" flavour or smell or taste.
My parents tried to get me to eat fish, I just refused to eat it. I was a very picky eater as a child despite my parents attempts to vary my diet and making me sit at the table until I was done, but I just sat at the table as I refused to eat anything I didn't like.

I am less picky now, but still pickier then an average adult would be, but I haven't been able as of yet to find something I like fish wise.

Granted I don't have easy access to fresh sea food either as there are no sea good stores locally, so everything is previously frozen or frozen and pretty much limited to Salmon, trout and cooked shrimp.

I'll stop by a sea food store in Vancouver next time and see about finding some of the other sorts of fish mentioned here and by other posters and do some experimenting.
Old Nov 8th 2014, 11:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and yes I am going to try and get in more walking. While a small town, Squamish is fairly spread out, with part of the stuff at one far end, and everything else at the other far end, with nothing in the middle but residential places.

Makes it hard to run errands on foot since nothing is really within walking distance of our apartment.

Its the weirdest designed town I have seen.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 1:52 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I've lost 50lbs but can't seem to get any more off, I've found that exercise doesnt make much difference to the weight but it does make a difference to circumference,. Still in spite of being a chubster all my blood results and BP come back as normal. I had a scary ECG recently but that only motivated me to eat more out of worry.
Veggie soups are cheap and filling for suppers. Lentils, beans etc are filling and cheap. The trouble with dieting is that it tends to cost more.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 4:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bats
I've lost 50lbs but can't seem to get any more off, I've found that exercise doesnt make much difference to the weight but it does make a difference to circumference,. Still in spite of being a chubster all my blood results and BP come back as normal. I had a scary ECG recently but that only motivated me to eat more out of worry.
Veggie soups are cheap and filling for suppers. Lentils, beans etc are filling and cheap. The trouble with dieting is that it tends to cost more.
I am not too concerned about the weight itself for looks as really, I just want to get a healthier weight, even if I don't lose the full 40, just losing enough to see cholesterol come down to a normal level and reduce my risk of future illness.

I'd be happy at my weight, if it was muscle and not fat.

That said 7 days of no drinking soda now, only water, a little green tea with no sugar or sweeteners added, along with water with a slight bit of pure lemon juice just for a bit of flavor.

The scale says 225 in the morning today, a week ago it said 230, so apparently dumping soda is working, along with 20 minute walks, although 5 walks now and my hips are killing me, but I know the pain will go away once my body gets used to the exercise, been through this before, so I know its only short term pain.

Honestly if I still loaded airplanes, I'd have no issue with this, would never have gained so much weight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.