Weight lost attempts

Old Nov 7th 2014, 11:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weight lost attempts

The fruit will be worked on. I just have to figure out how to make vegetables taste good, I have a very select few I can currently tolerate....

I can certainly say for me car = getting fatter.

When I lived in Abbotsford and Vancouver and was taking transit/walking I had no issues, and maintained a healthy weight, but in the past 13 months I have gained 40 ish pounds, only thing that has changed is not taking transit and not walking as much since it's not feasible to get around this town that way, so a car is a must.

Hopefully next summer we can move and I can go back to my transit/walking ways to get around.
Old Nov 7th 2014, 11:45 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

Breakfast/lunch (got up late so no need for 2 meals.)

Oatmeal 1 cup with 1/2 cup berries and 1 tsp cinnamon. 331 calories

Dinner:

lasagna for dinner 600 calories

Snacks:

Bagel, plain 190 calories

frozen yogurt 1/2 cup 130 calories

3 banana's 270

4 apples 310

Total 1,921 calories.
I would swap out the bagel for some whole grain bread - there are some good, tasty loaves out there, and some have extra fibre too. I'm on the WW Plan for my sins (I need the motivation of paying money and shaming myself at a weekly weigh in) and a bagel is at least twice the points of two slices of bread!

The big things that have worked for me to date (35lbs lost since May) are:
  • Tracking my food (on an app as its nice and easy - theres a lot of calorie tracking apps out there)
  • Portion control (my view of a 'portion' and WW's view of a 'portion' are a long way apart!)
  • Pre-planning and preparation e.g. I make a big container of salad stuff and keep it in the fridge so it take a few minutes when I get in to chuck it on a plate next to something. When I cook dinners I make a couple of extra portions and freeze them for later on. Its just too tempting to eat crap when you are in a rush.
  • NOT depriving myself - just having smaller and more quality treats e.g. a good bit of dark chocolate, a decent glass of wine or beer, etc.
  • I have a kind of eat-what-I-like-within-reason day once a week, usually at the weekend e.g. will have a nice steak, or a dessert out somewhere.
  • Major food groups I don't eat so much of these days are pasta (sob) and spuds - instead I often have brown rice. I have hardly seen cheese, except for blue cheese (which can go a long way in a salad taste-wise)
  • I also stepped up my fish intake - nothing fancy, just 2 to 3 times a week - plain white fish, and I pep it up with various herbs.
  • I have experimented more - I used a pack of lentil-y type things as a soup base, and chucked a load of veg in, blended it and it was pretty tasty, plus I had about 14 portions of soup I could freeze and take to work! I also try to make lower fat recipes of my favourites e.g. I made a low fat Delia rice pudding using 0% fat evaporated milk and skimmed milk and it still tasted pretty good.
  • I haven't settled on an exercise regime just yet - just been trying to get out and walk more at lunch, use the stairs instead of the lift, and I got back on my trusty bike for the first time in about 8 years so its a start.

Good luck - its a hard road, and its easy to stray. You just need to find what works for you as everyone likes it a bit different, although there are some really good suggestions on this thread. I'll be watching it with interest.....
Old Nov 7th 2014, 11:58 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
The only thing that works for me is less food and booze and more exercise. Piece of cake (oops).
different strokes for different folks

IMO, eat & drink whatever you like that makes you feel good. Its all about balance, as long as the calorie intake = calorie burn rate.

Need to get up & at it to move the body around for at least 30 minutes a day... vigorous is good for you. watch your BP, careful on the sugar & salt intake. Minimize if at all possible the processed foods

I survive on 1200 - 1400 calories/day on a well balanced diet of meat, fruit, veggies, various dairy items, sweet tooth, tea, juice, water, milk & the rare occasional drop of alcohol.

The once in a while pig out of course

I never eat after 7pm nor drink any liquids after 8pm
Old Nov 7th 2014, 12:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone found a way to have fish taste good? I have tried every combination I can think of (my other half eats fish 2-3 times a week) and I cannot make fish of any sort taste good.

I can tolerate canned tuna with lots of mayo as a sandwich, but anything else is just gross.

I've tried a variety of sea food over the years and making it taste good has not been possible.

Suppose I could just be one of those who will never find fish tasty.
Old Nov 7th 2014, 12:04 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone found a way to have fish taste good? I have tried every combination I can think of (my other half eats fish 2-3 times a week) and I cannot make fish of any sort taste good.

I can tolerate canned tuna with lots of mayo as a sandwich, but anything else is just gross.

I've tried a variety of sea food over the years and making it taste good has not been possible.

Suppose I could just be one of those who will never find fish tasty.
if fresh fish doesn't suit your taste buds, then IMO do not eat it.

If you try to disguise it by frying it - then do not eat it

Fish is not for everyone, similar to green vegetables or just like cheese. I never ate cheese till I was 20 years old
Old Nov 7th 2014, 12:43 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I just have to figure out how to make vegetables taste good
Might sound too obvious but don't overcook them. Green beans are best when you hear them 'squeak' while chewing.

Add a few corn niblets to veg - assuming you like corn. Steaming veg works very well.

Has anyone found a way to have fish taste good?
Bake it with lemon juice, butter and or milk and pepper.

Make a cheese sauce?

Partly bake fish, add mixed veg and a white or white/cheesy sauce and finish baking.

Might defeat the object somewhat to disguise the taste and maybe the sauce is less healthy than no sauce. But if it helps replace some meat with some fish that can only be good.

It's a bit like those who say a dressing may add the calories to a salad. Look, it's a salad not a sodding hamburger with fries!!
Old Nov 7th 2014, 12:55 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Bake it with lemon juice, butter and or milk and pepper.

Make a cheese sauce?

Partly bake fish, add mixed veg and a white or white/cheesy sauce and finish baking.

Might defeat the object somewhat to disguise the taste and maybe the sauce is less healthy than no sauce. But if it helps replace some meat with some fish that can only be good.

It's a bit like those who say a dressing may add the calories to a salad. Look, it's a salad not a sodding hamburger with fries!!
agree with that, as long as he is into fish

Another suggestion is to buy from the dollar store a bottle of Italian salad dressing

In a pan, one tea spoon of light oil on high, a quick flash fry the 4oz fish (make sure the fish is not wet - dry it good & at room temperature before doing the quick fry.

When the fish had been flipped over (cook 2 minutes each side) pour some of the salad dressing onto the fish in the pan. Check if its cooked after 1-2 minutes .... bingo & it tastes great.

You can do the same process with vegetables. Steam vegetables (do not boil them). When 3/4 cooked. Dry them. Then in a pan with a small amount of butter do a quick sear then add a drop of the Italian salad dressing. Add blanched walnuts, almonds, pine nuts etc to the veggies to eat
Old Nov 7th 2014, 1:35 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
agree with that, as long as he is into fish
Or just disguise the taste enough. Also depends on the price of the fish. Haddock's way more expensive than chicken.

Pollock works fine.

Another suggestion is to from the dollar store a bottle of Italian salad dressing

In a pan, one tea spoon of light oil on high, a quick flash fry the 4oz fish (make sure the fish is not wet - dry it good & at room temperature before doing the quick fry.

When the fish had been flipped over (cook 2 minutes each side) pour some of the salad dressing onto the fish in the pan. Check if its cooked after 1-2 minutes .... bingo & it tastes great.
I shall have to try that.
Old Nov 7th 2014, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

I had an operation in which I lost 25kg (55lbs) in one day. I didn't lose any limbs. I didn't have bariatric surgery or excess fat removed. Not recommended for weight reduction.
Go figure. No prize for the correct guess.

Last edited by plasticcanuck; Nov 7th 2014 at 1:41 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2014, 1:48 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
I had an operation in which I lost 25kg (55lbs) in one day. I didn't lose any limbs. I didn't have bariatric surgery or excess fat removed. Not recommended for weight reduction.
You had triplets???
Old Nov 7th 2014, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
You had triplets???
I think 55lbs would probably convert to at least decuplets, probably more, so no.
Old Nov 7th 2014, 3:25 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone found a way to have fish taste good?
I just get plain frozen cod or whatever fillets are on special:

- dip in flour, egg and then panko breadcrumbs with maybe some grated parmesan and seasoning
- put some pesto on top
- italian herb seasoning
- lemon and pepper is a classic
- I've even used montreal steak spice!
- cover in tomato (and maybe cheese) sauce?
- bung it in a fish pie then you can't taste it
- deep fry in batter (oops, wasn't supposed to add that one!)

Smoked fish is also quite tasty and because its quite intense you don't need as much. I quite like smoked haddock, although I bet the salt content is a bit on the naughty side.
Old Nov 7th 2014, 3:28 pm
Happy Bunnies

I know there's no prize but curiosity is getting the better of me. Was it maybe fibroids or one of those big tumour thingies that grow slowly?
Old Nov 7th 2014, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sorry, but no.
Old Nov 7th 2014, 4:13 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, but no.
Conjoined twin removed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.