Victoria BC Meet ups

Old Sep 19th 2018, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

pjmaybe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Victoria BC Meet ups

Hi All,

Victoria BC Expat. And having made a recent move from Vancouver to Victoria, me and the OH were hoping for more community and social feel, with not a lot of success (having a 3 yr old and spending lots of nights in probably hasn't helped). I noticed also that the vancouver island meet up closed recently.
Does anyone have any thoughts or comments about meeting up with expats particularly in the Victoria area? In my general Canadian experience, it seems that Brits tend to avoid obvious expat "gatherings". Whereas my sister in Lanzarote is another story!
Old Sep 20th 2018, 5:00 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Victoria BC Meet ups

Originally Posted by pjmaybe
Hi All,

Victoria BC Expat. And having made a recent move from Vancouver to Victoria, me and the OH were hoping for more community and social feel, with not a lot of success (having a 3 yr old and spending lots of nights in probably hasn't helped). I noticed also that the vancouver island meet up closed recently.
Does anyone have any thoughts or comments about meeting up with expats particularly in the Victoria area? In my general Canadian experience, it seems that Brits tend to avoid obvious expat "gatherings". Whereas my sister in Lanzarote is another story!
Really? They're the only gatherings that are worthwhile and still legal.
Old Sep 20th 2018, 5:12 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome to BE!

I'm not sure how many members live in the area - we used to have a rather splendid map of members worldwide, but that's recently had to be taken down since the website it's on is charging

Don't give up, I'm sure there are Brits around! I did see this Brit meet up group that is looking for an organizer - perhaps you could volunteer? https://secure.meetup.com/create/?se...dTopicId=26944

Hopefully some of our lovely members who do live in the area will pop their heads up and want to meet up for a cuppa, a bevvy and a bit of a chit chat.

In the meantime, do hang around!

I did find a few older threads from people who live in or near that area.. there's a few that are still around, so it might be worth having a read through anyway and checking (use the dropdown on their names to get their profiles and a list of their posts up
Victoria, Bc
Living In Victoria BC
Victoria BC... should we move there?

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 20th 2018 at 5:27 am.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 1:26 am
Forum Regular

TheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a Victoria resident, it's alright here tbh. Especially the pubs, I don't know how often I'd be able to meet up as I'm usually either busy or broke, but I'd try if something is arranged.

What part of town are you living in?
Old Oct 16th 2018, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

pjmaybe is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies,
I'm in the middle of town/metro area. The advantage of Victoria being I can be pretty much anywhere in 20 mins. Couple of pubs that are close by me, are the monkey tree (usually busy, though not quite sure why!) and a place called The Phoenix (usually empty but cheap pool table and more of an authentic feel).
Most pubs in Victoria seem to follow a cookie cutter layout and look. Influenced I think by the UK style, I have yet to find one I really enjoy, though the quality of beer is improving!

Any other pub recommendations?
Old Oct 21st 2018, 1:42 am
Just Joined

Toothless is an unknown quantity at this point

Unfortunately you will not find a pub in BC like any in the UK, the law prevents it. Being served and then seated are foreign to Brits. However being on the Peninsula we are fortunate to have the Prairie Inn. The atmosphere is great and the staff and food wonderful. As an expat I have a few British friends here but we moved to Canada to experience the Canadian lifestyle. If you have time, volunteer for a local organization or preschool as I found and made many friends that way.
Goid luck.
Old Oct 23rd 2018, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

pontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Victoria BC Meet ups

Try Spinnakers (Vic West), Garricks Head (downtown), Smiths (downtown), Moon Under Water (Rock Bay) Bartholomew's (downtown) Swans (downtown) Canoe Club (downtown). If you fancy a day trip up the Island a bit, check out the Crow and Gate for the country pub experience (Cedar, south of Nanaimo).