Victoria, Bc

Old Sep 4th 2012, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

laura.anne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Victoria, Bc

Hi, we were originally thinking Vancouver was the place to go, having a friend who lives there kind of got us thinking it would be a good option. But on reading here I see it is very expensive.

Can anyone reccomend Victoria? It seems quite close to Vancouver and what I've read on Wiki looks good. But anyone got any real experience/reviews?

Are house prices more reasonable?

We have 3 small children and my husband is a plumber.

Ps. I understand that it is a huge place, but just want to hear some advice from people who have been there on what they think to get a better idea
Old Sep 4th 2012, 3:50 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Victoria, Bc

Lived in Vancouver and lived in Victoria now stuck in the old folk centre of BC - the Okanagan.

Just comparing Van to Vic - Victoria is hands down the best place to live.

Pros:

Cons:

If you have any questions, drop me a line, I lived there for 12 years, loved it, moved for the wrong reasons and will be moving back in a year when my contract here runs out.

Last edited by Hawk13; Sep 4th 2012 at 3:50 pm. Reason: Crap the bullets didn't work
      Old Sep 4th 2012, 3:54 pm
      Forum Regular

Thanks Hawk, it does sound good!

Is it likely that plumbing will be in demand there, ie will my husband likely get a job? Sorry probably not an easy question to answer I know!
      Old Sep 4th 2012, 4:07 pm
      Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laura.anne
      Is it likely that plumbing will be in demand there, ie will my husband likely get a job? Sorry probably not an easy question to answer I know!
      Don't think anyone can answer that question other than potential employers but the housing/construction market is still pretty good (have a couple of friends that are electricians) and Victoria has historically rode the housing ups and downs better than most places in BC
      Old Sep 4th 2012, 4:13 pm
      "In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

We live about 40 minutes north in a place called Mill Bay. As we manufacture and distributet ice cream around Victoria we see quite a lot of different areas of the city and its environs (great word!). I think its one of the prettiest and most pleasant cities to be in. As already said, however, the ferries to the mainland are expensice and not particularly quick. The fastest is 1 hour 35 minutes and it doesn't exactly drop you off from downtown Vic to downtown Van. IT probably takes the equivalent of driving from London to MAnchester when you factor in the waiting at the terminal etc etc.

Feel free to PM me if you want any specifics.

Conal
      Old Sep 4th 2012, 4:27 pm
      Forum Regular

Thank you everyone! Next step will be finding out if there are any potential plumbing jobs, any good sites I can try?

Also planning a trip there, also any cheap companies for this (flights, ect?)

We live in Somerset, UK now which is very quiet, so being quite stuck on the island doesn't sound too bad, considering the scenery is beautiful. I guess leaving would count as a holiday in which case we'd expect travelling?

Is Victoria airport good for travelling to and from?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions soon!!
      Old Sep 4th 2012, 4:35 pm
      Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, we were originally thinking Vancouver was the place to go, having a friend who lives there kind of got us thinking it would be a good option. But on reading here I see it is very expensive.

Can anyone reccomend Victoria? It seems quite close to Vancouver and what I've read on Wiki looks good. But anyone got any real experience/reviews?

Are house prices more reasonable?

We have 3 small children and my husband is a plumber.

Ps. I understand that it is a huge place, but just want to hear some advice from people who have been there on what they think to get a better idea
      Buying a home in Vancouver is expensive. Think of London prices - central London will be similar to downtown Vancouver and outer London similar to the suburbs. However, I don't think you will see any other noticeable difference in the cost of living between Vancouver and Victoria.

I think you are likely to be happiest living where you want to live even if you have to make some compromises about your house. A bigger and cheaper house doesn't make up for living somewhere you don't want to be.

That said, Victoria is a good place to live as well.
      Old Sep 4th 2012, 4:43 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you everyone! Next step will be finding out if there are any potential plumbing jobs, any good sites I can try?

Also planning a trip there, also any cheap companies for this (flights, ect?)

We live in Somerset, UK now which is very quiet, so being quite stuck on the island doesn't sound too bad, considering the scenery is beautiful. I guess leaving would count as a holiday in which case we'd expect travelling?

Is Victoria airport good for travelling to and from?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions soon!!
      No transatlantic flights into YYJ, you would go to YVR first (or other Canadian airport), then transfer on a connector to YYJ. Connectors have a lower baggage allowance than the transatlantic flights, especislly if you come in Club or First, this can be a problem.

Nice airport, smaller than YVR, I was in there on the weekend. YXX to YYJ is around 30 minutes, YVR to YYJ, 20 minutes. Ferry and road, allow 1.6 hours for the crossing, 0.3 hours for loading, minimum 1 hour wait to get on, if it is busy reserve a spot or turn up 2 hours ahead of sailing. plus the drive to Victoria 0.7 hours depending on traffic, total 4- 4.7 hours.

The people I know on the island stay there or are pilots and can do the crossing quickly.

I would avoid coastal communities. http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Mon...087/story.html

Last edited by Aviator; Sep 4th 2012 at 4:46 pm.
      Old Sep 4th 2012, 5:16 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Moving to Canada is all about mitigating the levels of boredom. Victoria would be between the critical to near death range.
      Old Sep 4th 2012, 5:25 pm
      Forum Regular

deltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on how easily bored you are. Those with the capacity to entertain themselves do well in Canada.
      Old Sep 4th 2012, 6:55 pm
      Up Your Kilt

Originally Posted by Oink
      Moving to Canada is all about mitigating the levels of boredom. Victoria would be between the critical to near death range.
      I'm curious - do explain?
      Old Sep 4th 2012, 7:14 pm
      BE Forum Addict

Canuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond repute

I think what he is trying to say is Victoria is an extremely boring place to live!

Originally Posted by Hawk13
      I'm curious - do explain?
      Old Sep 4th 2012, 7:16 pm
      Forum Regular

I'm confused too, maybe you should take a look at Somerset and see that boring is definitely on a different scale

From what I've read, there seems to be loads to do there?

Can anyone reccomend a good job site?

Thanks!
      Old Sep 4th 2012, 7:19 pm
      Forum Regular

Victoria Things To Do

There are always things to do in Victoria. An urban oasis surrounded by ocean waters and mountainous wilderness, the city offers the best of both worlds: fabulous shops, restaurants, museums and city parks complementing world-class golf courses, ski hills, hiking trails and fishing expeditions.

What's so amazing about having such a variety of settings in such close proximity is the opportunity to have a number of wildly different experiences in a single day: golf in the morning and ski in the afternoon, visit Victoria Bug Zoo and walk through Butchart Gardens followed by an evening at the symphony, or venture out on a historic driving route through the surrounding area. The possibilities are endless!

Visit Victoria trip ideas to discover individual travel itineraries for family activities, outdoor adventure, wine tours, and more.
      Is this not accurate??
      Old Sep 4th 2012, 7:20 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canuck74
      I think what he is trying to say is Victoria is an extremely boring place to live!
      Yep, they don't call it God's waiting room for nothing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.