Victoria, Bc

Old Sep 5th 2012, 9:06 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Victoria, Bc

Originally Posted by Hawk13
Not trying to shoot the messenger but when the poster states:

"We have 3 small children and my husband is a plumber."

(not that being a plumber has anything to do with it) I don't think they're really asking where or not the club scene is just rockin' in Victoria. I'd agree that Victoria isn't exactly London, Paris, etc. when it comes to a downtown lifestyle but to throw out a generalization of "boring" is simply an ignorant comment. Tell the poster why it's boring at least.

By the way, there isn't too many areas in Victoria that have "homeless binners" on the night shift so your friend (living downtown) should have simply moved to say James Bay or Cook Street Village or even Fairfield or one of my favourite places Cadboro Bay.

Here are my concerns about living in Victoria especially with children. The city is isolated geographically, it lacks demographic and cultural diversity, has little to no "scene" or any contemporary alternative cultural presence.
Lacks “quality” museums, theaters, cultural institutions.
Is overwhelming socially conservative due to skewed demographic. Lacks diversity of architecture, presence of public art, interesting streetscape, etc.
Has no real public spaces (from an Arendtian perspective) where people congregate discuss and to socially actualize political, economic and cultural concerns.

So, given the GVSD’s rather tepid education system, I’d suggest children need as much cultural and social stimulation as they can get there. imo of course.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 9:15 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Not trying to shoot the messenger but when the poster states:

"We have 3 small children and my husband is a plumber."

(not that being a plumber has anything to do with it) I don't think they're really asking where or not the club scene is just rockin' in Victoria. I'd agree that Victoria isn't exactly London, Paris, etc. when it comes to a downtown lifestyle but to throw out a generalization of "boring" is simply an ignorant comment. Tell the poster why it's boring at least.

By the way, there isn't too many areas in Victoria that have "homeless binners" on the night shift so your friend (living downtown) should have simply moved to say James Bay or Cook Street Village or even Fairfield or one of my favourite places Cadboro Bay.
http://www.gvda.ca/EN/main/about/sta...ographics.html

"Greater Victoria is projected to age more rapidly than both the province and Metro Vancouver over the next 20 years, reaching a median age of 47.3 years in 2028.

In the national context, Greater Victoria had the highest median age among Canada's top 20 metropolitan areas in both the 2001 and 2006 Census. It also tied for the third largest increase in median age from 2001 to 2006, so it continued to age faster than most other metro areas in the country."

and further down:

"The share of employment income in Greater Victoria is lower than that for BC as a whole while the share of pension and investment income is higher, a reflection of the greater share of retirees in Greater Victoria."

Told you. Old people.

Ultimately she just preferred North Vancouver. She felt there were a lot more problems/homeless people in Victoria. Not to mention the legions of retirees.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 10:40 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
I dropped into Tofino last weekend on a day trip around the island, there are tsunami warning sings everywhere. Good enough reason to have lunch and leave.
Aren't those the warning signs to warn the dumb asses to not go out on the rocks and get too close to the waves during storms so that you don't get washed out to sea?

They've aways said that if the "big one" hits, everything will be swept out into the Ocean or better yet, the rock will fracture and the island will slide into the Ocean and disappear.

I guess it compares to Richmond and Delta liquifying during the earthquake and you'll be 6ft under in the mud.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 10:48 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
http://www.gvda.ca/EN/main/about/sta...ographics.html

"Greater Victoria is projected to age more rapidly than both the province and Metro Vancouver over the next 20 years, reaching a median age of 47.3 years in 2028.

In the national context, Greater Victoria had the highest median age among Canada's top 20 metropolitan areas in both the 2001 and 2006 Census. It also tied for the third largest increase in median age from 2001 to 2006, so it continued to age faster than most other metro areas in the country."

and further down:

"The share of employment income in Greater Victoria is lower than that for BC as a whole while the share of pension and investment income is higher, a reflection of the greater share of retirees in Greater Victoria."

Told you. Old people.

Ultimately she just preferred North Vancouver. She felt there were a lot more problems/homeless people in Victoria. Not to mention the legions of retirees.
Statistics - gotta love 'em 'cus no one ever twists them based on the audience they are trying to attract.

You want legions of retirees (and Albertans) come to the Okanagan.

And you didn't mention North Vancouver earlier as I lived there for 5 years, years ago and it would be about the only place in "Vancouver" I'd even consider moving back to - as long as I didn't work on the other side of the bridges
Old Sep 5th 2012, 10:51 pm
Up Your Kilt

Originally Posted by Oink
Here are my concerns about living in Victoria especially with children. The city is isolated geographically, it lacks demographic and cultural diversity, has little to no "scene" or any contemporary alternative cultural presence.
Is overwhelming socially conservative due to skewed demographic. Lacks diversity of architecture, presence of public art, interesting streetscape, etc.
Has no real public spaces (from an Arendtian perspective) where people congregate discuss and to socially actualize political, economic and cultural concerns.

So, given the GVSD’s rather tepid education system, I’d suggest children need as much cultural and social stimulation as they can get there. imo of course.
Now that's better than just saying it's boring. Don't necessarily agree with you but hey, that's the whole idea of posting.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

nerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nice

Aren't those the warning signs to warn the dumb asses to not go out on the rocks and get too close to the waves during storms so that you don't get washed out to sea?
No, these are proper evacuation route signs. This one taken on the main road that runs between Tofino and Ucluelet:
Attached Thumbnails Victoria, Bc-tsunami.jpg  
Old Sep 6th 2012, 10:36 am
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink

when did you have kids?

Funny, a lot of this hogwash you spin are qualities i like about the place. I'm wondering if you have ever been. I travel there a fair bit for work and stay at the Empress.

For a city of 80, 000 it has decent museums in the martime centre and the BC Museum. Not that museums in a small city are going to be much of a draw for locals (are they ever?) but decent enough.

There is a also a reasonably decent local arts scene and theatre companies. Not that it's going to have major broadway shows.....it is after all a small city on a island. Plenty of culture there. The pubs are decent. The most brit like i've seen anywhere in teh world outside of the UK and a hell of a lot more populated through the week than a similar sized UK city.

Not sure about your skewed demographics rant...sure it's got an older demographic (although im never aware of it downtown - oakbay: yes) but there are also a lot of students about due to UVIC and Royal Roads (a stunning building by the way). During the summer the place is very vibrant especially down at the inner harbour. Winter it's definately slower.

architecture wise, i really don't get where you are coming from, it's one of my likes about the place including the interesting street scapes and stacks up against any similar sized/age UK town. The Empress, the Legislature are both stunning....numerous edwardian and victorian buildings through out the core and Queen Anne style houses and the usual west coast craftsman homes, in much better repair decked out in their period colours.

Out of the core are the neat neighbourhoods of Fernwood with turn of the last century homes and shops etc and Cook Stree....the more tony area of rockland with many interesting stately homes and the very curious glencarich castle....as noted Royal Roads is stunning as is the French Heritage school at St Ann's...the old city hall is another gem.....China town, while small is another interesting stroll....numerous neo classical banks and other buildings dotted about the area.

Not sure about the 'tepid school system' what ever that means.

Then there is the climate....only around 550 mm of rain (of which 60 percent falls in late fall and winter), and close to 2300 hours of sunshine a year which is about 800 - 900 hours more than the UK average. Access to beaches, the great outdoors, parks, the stunning drive through St James Bay, through Beacon Hill Park and down through Oak Bay to Carbero Bay.

But yes, it's on an island and it's somewhat isolated...maybe for some, that's part of the charm.

Last edited by Boy d; Sep 6th 2012 at 10:39 am.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 10:40 am
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
Whatever. Don't shoot the messenger - that's what the cradles say about Vic.
A friend of mine left Victoria because she couldn't sleep due to the binners and homeless rattling down the alley all night with their carts /going through bins etc.
can't be worse than the west end.....
Old Sep 6th 2012, 10:41 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Laura.anne,

Take my advice and ignore almost everything Oink writes.
i second that...
Old Sep 6th 2012, 10:49 am
Banned

Originally Posted by laura.anne
Very confusing! The write up suggests beautiful scenery and many parks and museums, how boring can a place that boasts this be?!
it's not...take no notice. It's a small place so it's going to be limited in some respects and night life is not a draw (really, unless your aged 20 - 30 and single, who cares?)...besides, i always enjoy the pubs there and the live music dotted about the place. Maybe it would get a bit same old same old after a while.

As for cost of living, i doubt it's any better than Metro Vancouver, including house prices. Work might be a concern due to the smaller population and a tendancy towards government work.

The fact that you are on an island (although a big one at something like twice the size of wales) can be a pain and trips over to the Mainland can be inconvenient and pricey. I often toy with the idea of tranferring there (which is difficult because no one wants to leave) but the isolation is one thing that we ponder. That being said, greater vancouver with a populaton of around 350 k, offers everything one needs, outside of larger venues in more built up areas.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 10:53 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Canuck74
The scenery is beautiful. But if you are into nightlife Victoria is not the place to be.
so your definition of boredom equals the quality of nightlife? Pretty slim assessment
Old Sep 6th 2012, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Caimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Boy d
i second that...
Wonder what his nan would think though? If boring and full of retirees - surely she would acknowledge the island's appeal?

Let's hear from nan...
Old Sep 6th 2012, 1:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caimas
Wonder what his nan would think though? If boring and full of retirees - surely she would acknowledge the island's appeal?

Let's hear from nan...
I fear that I shall hear no more from Oink's Nan, either she's unfriended me or she's been expunged.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 1:30 pm
Up Your Kilt

Originally Posted by nerdherd
No, these are proper evacuation route signs. This one taken on the main road that runs between Tofino and Ucluelet:
Cool - those must be for the tourists to take pictures beside

Originally Posted by Boy d
But yes, it's on an island and it's somewhat isolated...maybe for some, that's part of the charm.
Didn't want to take up all the room "quoting" your posts but spot on, I agree.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 2:46 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I fear that I shall hear no more from Oink's Nan, either she's unfriended me or she's been expunged.
She said she's really sorry but she couldn't keep up with all the requests for nan-like advice so she set up a page instead.

Oink's nan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.