Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Victoria BC... should we move there?

Victoria BC... should we move there?

Old Jun 3rd 2009, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

mairimac is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Victoria BC... should we move there?

Hi everyone,

I need help regarding a potential move to Victoria BC. My husband, 15 year old daughter and I moved to Canada almost 4 years ago. We spent our first 2years in Squamish BC before moving to Nova Scotia when my husband was head hunted.
We've been here for almost 2 years and it's really not the place for us. We all hate the winters and the humidity in the summer and we find it a bit quiet for us. (We've previously lived in London, Manchester, Leeds and Edinburgh). There isn't a problem with my husband and I finding work but I'd like to know what it's like living in and around Victoria. Also, what areas would be best for a professional family with a 15 year old daughter to move to with regards to schools etc. Any advice?
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 2:35 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Victoria BC... should we move there?

My impression from reading here is that Victoria is pretty quiet too... And expensive in canadian terms.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

mairimac is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
My impression from reading here is that Victoria is pretty quiet too... And expensive in canadian terms.
The house prices don't freak us out and believe me, Nova Scotia isn't as cheap as you first think. Taxes are high here.
By quiet I was meaning more, shopping is extremely limited both for clothing and furniture, and it is not as developed as other parts of Canada. It's very rural.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 3:16 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=612536

It's not for everybody that's the truth.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Monkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to all

Hello Mairimac.

Well we live and work around Victoria and we absolutely love it. We didn't want a big city so Vancouver wasn't for us but it's only a ferry ride for a day trip/weekend if we fancy it. We find Victoria has all the shopping/city facilities we need (fab restaurants and bars) but we have the balance of space around us, the sea, the parks, the lakes, etc. Our house is 30km from downtown, near the ferry terminal.

We don't have kids but friends that do are happy with the schools and we've found kids here are polite, friendly and open. (Even the teens .. ) We've found everyone so welcoming.

Has your husband been offered a job in Victoria?? Could you come and have a proper recce and look at some properties in different areas?? That's the only way you're going to know for sure. If you've enjoyed big cities before then what about Vancouver? It's beautiful too.

(Victoria gets less rain though! Sunny and 30 degrees here on the Saanich Peninsula today. )

Good luck with your decision.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 11:57 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mairimac
Hi everyone,

I need help regarding a potential move to Victoria BC. My husband, 15 year old daughter and I moved to Canada almost 4 years ago. We spent our first 2years in Squamish BC before moving to Nova Scotia when my husband was head hunted.
We've been here for almost 2 years and it's really not the place for us. We all hate the winters and the humidity in the summer and we find it a bit quiet for us. (We've previously lived in London, Manchester, Leeds and Edinburgh). There isn't a problem with my husband and I finding work but I'd like to know what it's like living in and around Victoria. Also, what areas would be best for a professional family with a 15 year old daughter to move to with regards to schools etc. Any advice?
I don't think anyone could truly not like victoria - as rightly pointed out it is expensive (half mil for average house) and is not exactly bustling. Has everything you need for an urban centre - closest i've seen to brit pubs out of the uk, lots of eateries and shops. Great weather - think a small seaside town like eastbourne for instance. Lots of retirees and families - i fancied a move there but worried i might get some sort of island fever after a while.