Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Using both a knife & fork when eating

Using both a knife & fork when eating

Old May 30th 2008, 11:09 pm
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Using both a knife & fork when eating

Originally Posted by Steve_P
You know me too well.
im starving here
Old May 30th 2008, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

An Italian told me to use a spoon to twirl the pasta round the fork in. So there, its entirely reasonable if not authentic to use a spoon with spaghetti. So maybe you are the ones to be laughed at eh??

I like to use a spoon with curries and other runny stuff and rice etc. It stops the sauce running away

Peas, if one wants to be correct then press them down slightly on the back of the fork before conveying to the open gob. Remembering at all times to take the food to the mouth not the mouth to the food.

And finally a quote, Winnie the Pooh I think

I eat my peas with hunny,
I've done it all my life.
It makes the peas taste funny,
but it keeps them on the knife.
Old May 30th 2008, 11:10 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FlirtyKnickers
im starving here
Just about time for supper (tea) here.
Old May 30th 2008, 11:10 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crap coffee
My boy friend (a typical Pom) uses fork And Spoon when he eats Spaghetti Bolognese. (when I made Spaghetti for the first time for him) I got the giggles when he asked me for a spoon?

Why on earth would you need a knife when you have spaghettie?

I don't undertand you....... and I don't understand my partner, either.

and.

I live in NZ not Canada so I don't know/for sure about "The fork is always in their right hand and they sometimes use the side of it to cut things"

not sure this is happening in NZ as well?,,,, hmm.... It's very interesting anyway....

I'd like to know what other people's thoughts are
My DH is British and ALWAYS uses a fork and spoon when eating his spag bol just like I do. . . we always get the extra long imported spag and he refuses to cut it because you "ruin it" when you do that.
Old May 30th 2008, 11:12 pm
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daft batty
An Italian told me to use a spoon to twirl the pasta round the fork in. So there, its entirely reasonable if not authentic to use a spoon with spaghetti. So maybe you are the ones to be laughed at eh??

I like to use a spoon with curries and other runny stuff and rice etc. It stops the sauce running away

Peas, if one wants to be correct then press them down slightly on the back of the fork before conveying to the open gob. Remembering at all times to take the food to the mouth not the mouth to the food.

Fare point...i love Pooh but not as much as cake or pie!!!
Old May 30th 2008, 11:12 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daft batty

My stepgramps (now 90) is Italian (his parents are from Pisa and Turin) and uses a spoon, also, as does my former-chef stepfather.
Old May 30th 2008, 11:13 pm
Logical & Hot Stuff

Just about time for supper (tea) here.
What you having....me and my new friend G77 are really hungry..

rumble rumble rumble goes my tum!!

Last edited by FlirtyKnickers; May 30th 2008 at 11:15 pm.
Old May 30th 2008, 11:14 pm
Logical & Hot Stuff

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
My stepgramps (now 90) is Italian (his parents are from Pisa and Turin) and uses a spoon, also, as does my former-chef stepfather.
We spent 3 weeks in Italy last summer...no one gave me a spoon to eat with...now im cross...i feel like i missed out on an Italian experience:curse:
Old May 30th 2008, 11:19 pm

What you having....me and my new friend G77 are really hungry..

rumble rumble rumble goes my tum!!
Believe it or not we're having pasta.

Rotini with chicken and spinach in a tomato sauce and garlic toast along with a generous glass of red wine.
Old May 30th 2008, 11:21 pm
Logical & Hot Stuff

Believe it or not we're having pasta.

Rotini with chicken and spinach in a tomato sauce and garlic toast along with a generous glass of red wine.
ah crap....i love pasta,..if i fly over can i have some??
Old May 30th 2008, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
ahhhh....... Now I got it..... I was just forgotten :curse:....When he (my b.f) was a student at uni (Edinburgh), while he was flatting with loads of other kids - one of his flatmates was Italian. He_briefly_ mentioned it to me before (but I forgot!): he often shared meal with that Italian guy and subsequently he learnt how to eat Italian Spaghetti/(extra long) Pasta properly from him!!! NOw I remember!

However I still laugh! I always use proper impoted Italian Spag whenever I make Bolognese. but I never ever need to use spoon for myself! It's just hassel! Fork is just fine enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!don't need anything else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by crap coffee; May 30th 2008 at 11:57 pm.
Old May 30th 2008, 11:25 pm

ah crap....i love pasta,..if i fly over can i have some??
If there's any left after we're all done.

My two grand daughters and their mom are here so you'd better be quick.
Old May 30th 2008, 11:28 pm
Logical & Hot Stuff

ahhhh....... Now I got it..... I was just forgotten :curse:....When he was a student at uni (Edinburgh), while he was flatting with loads of other kids from the other side of world - His one of flatmates was Italian. He (my b.f) briefly mentioned it to me before (but I forgot!): he often shared meal with that Italian guy and subsequently he learnt how to eat Italian Spaghetti/(extra long) Pasta properly from him!!! NOw I remember!

However I still laugh! I always use proper impoted Italian Spag whenever I make Bolognese. I never ever need to use spoon for myself! It's just hassel! Fork is just fine enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!don't need anything else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well i think we should just do away with cutlery all together and eat with our hands...save on the washing up and save the enviroment at the same time...what you think??
Old May 30th 2008, 11:30 pm
Logical & Hot Stuff

If there's any left after we're all done.

My two grand daughters and their mom are here so you'd better be quick.
damn them....bloody hungry pasta eaters...next time let me know before you invite the family round
Old May 30th 2008, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

My boy friend (a typical Pom) uses fork And Spoon when he eats Spaghetti Bolognese. (when I made Spaghetti for the first time for him) I got the giggles when he asked me for a spoon?
I think the idea is you twizzle the spaghetti on the fork with the spoon as support....I only found this out when I shared a house with a posh bloke. It came in cans in my house as a kid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.