Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Using both a knife & fork when eating

Using both a knife & fork when eating

Old May 30th 2008, 5:13 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Using both a knife & fork when eating

Originally Posted by Tuppence
Does anyone apart from me still do the very unfunny 'oh look, I've pea'd on the floor' comment?
erm ..... no.
Old May 30th 2008, 5:58 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tuppence
Does anyone apart from me still do the very unfunny 'oh look, I've pea'd on the floor' comment?
Yes, and when carving a turkey or chicken I ask 'Are you a breast or a leg man?' and give my best Sid James laugh. Welcome to Carry-on-British-Expats!
Old May 30th 2008, 6:15 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Curious - do you eat your eggs over light with a knife and fork, or your pizza, or fried chicken or hamburger or hot dog?
I eat almost all solid food with both a knife and a fork.

Hamburgers that are unable to fit in my mouth due to the size of the patty and sheer quantity of food inside the two buns are eaten with a knife and fork.
Chicken wings are eaten with a knife & fork as I find it easier to peel every last scrap of meat off the wing with a knife.
If the pizza was boiling hot and I was hungry, I'd use a knife and not risk burning the roof of my mouth.

I don't know what eggs over light are but I probably would eat a hot dog with just my hands.
Old May 30th 2008, 6:27 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Danny B
I eat almost all solid food with both a knife and a fork.

Hamburgers that are unable to fit in my mouth due to the size of the patty and sheer quantity of food inside the two buns are eaten with a knife and fork.
Chicken wings are eaten with a knife & fork as I find it easier to peel every last scrap of meat off the wing with a knife.
If the pizza was boiling hot and I was hungry, I'd use a knife and not risk burning the roof of my mouth.

I don't know what eggs over light are but I probably would eat a hot dog with just my hands.
^^^What he said except for the chicken wings, if I were to eat them they would be finger food.

Eggs over easy I don't care for but I would dip my toast in the yolk and eat the remaining white with a knife and fork.
Old May 30th 2008, 8:23 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
^^^What he said except for the chicken wings, if I were to eat them they would be finger food.

Eggs over easy I don't care for but I would dip my toast in the yolk and eat the remaining white with a knife and fork.

How does using a knife on hot pizza make it cold enough to eat without burning the roof of our mouth I have had several friends who eat pizza with a knife and fork but never for that reason. I use the K&F if the pizza is "loaded".

As for the eggs over light, I'm with you and for peas I use the fork in my right hand to scoop them up.
Old May 30th 2008, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Rete
How does using a knife on hot pizza make it cold enough to eat without burning the roof of our mouth I have had several friends who eat pizza with a knife and fork but never for that reason. I use the K&F if the pizza is "loaded".

As for the eggs over light, I'm with you and for peas I use the fork in my right hand to scoop them up.

I think you tend to cut the pizza into a smaller piece which may cool a little on it's way to the mouth. I don't know it just seems to work better for me, once the pizza has cooled a little then it's deffo finger (hand) food.

I keep the fork in my left hand to scoop the peas but then I am left handed so maybe that's why.
Old May 30th 2008, 8:35 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I think you tend to cut the pizza into a smaller piece which may cool a little on it's way to the mouth. I don't know it just seems to work better for me, once the pizza has cooled a little then it's deffo finger (hand) food.

I keep the fork in my left hand to scoop the peas but then I am left handed so maybe that's why.
Riveting thread this isn't it?
Old May 30th 2008, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Riveting thread this isn't it?
I thought rivets were for airplanes or should I say aeroplanes.
Old May 30th 2008, 8:37 pm
Property Owner

welshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nice

I think it's a fear thing. I know that on more that one occasion, upon biting into a hot pizza all the cheese has detached and slapped against my chin leaving an embarassing red mark. Like napalm but not.
Old May 30th 2008, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

What I never figured out was why all the Brits I was exposed to at school (everyone but me basically) held their forks upside down? Surely it's significantly easier to use your fork as a scoop then trying to keep food on a convex surface, not to mention how on earth do you eat off it without stabbing your tongue?

After several years of people very rudely trying to convince me to turn my fork around I just stopped eating lunch altogether. That'll teach 'em
Old May 30th 2008, 10:23 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

I've always held my fork in my right hand - not sure why, just feels "right" (no pun intended), despite the fact I'm right handed..... So I'm looking forward to no longer being a weirdo
Old May 30th 2008, 10:26 pm
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
I've always held my fork in my right hand - not sure why, just feels "right" (no pun intended), despite the fact I'm right handed..... So I'm looking forward to no longer being a weirdo
My OH has the same problem....he is a bloody weirdo
Old May 30th 2008, 10:28 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlirtyKnickers
My OH has the same problem....he is a bloody weirdo
You'll be the weirdo when you get to Canada and we'll both be right
Old May 30th 2008, 10:33 pm
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
You'll be the weirdo when you get to Canada and we'll both be right
hmmmmm ya think?? mind you when we go on holiday and i see people in restaurants trying to cut steak with the blunt edge of a fork, i know theres definitely weird'er out there...karma sent for being a weirdo
Old May 30th 2008, 10:34 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by FlirtyKnickers
hmmmmm ya think?? mind you when we go on holiday and i see people in restaurants trying to cut steak with the blunt edge of a fork, i know theres definitely weird'er out there...karma sent for being a weirdo
Now that is weird - I find it hard to cut a steak with a steak knife (with my left hand ).... Maybe I'd do better with the fork in my right hand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.