Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Things that make you feel old

Things that make you feel old

Old Dec 11th 2018, 2:40 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things that make you feel old

Spurs are playing Barcelona tonight and some people in the Guardian have been mentioning how Dundee united beat them previously.

I read Dundee and the first thing I thought of was Quiz Ball

Old Dec 11th 2018, 2:57 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
After reading some earlier posts, I looked up what song was number one when I was 16. It was Barbra Streisand's The Way We Were
Should have posted this on the What's Pissed Me Off Today thread
Originally Posted by caretaker
The Carpenters Close To You
There appear to be a few sources with different charts.
The team leader I have now was 3 when I started working at the club.
T-Rex, Get It On.

Still gets played here.
Old Dec 11th 2018, 3:04 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

The Carpenters Close To You
Hahahaaaa, another vomit inducing song! Sorry, misery loves company
Old Dec 11th 2018, 3:06 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
T-Rex, Get It On.

Still gets played here.
So Caretaker gets the soppy Carpenters, I get soppy Barbra Streisand, and you get the wonderful T-Rex? Life just ain't fair
Old Dec 11th 2018, 3:07 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Hahahaaaa, another vomit inducing song! Sorry, misery loves company
If I was from NZ it would be Mungo Jerry In The Summertime, which is what we were actually listening to while bombing around in my friend's car.
Old Dec 11th 2018, 3:10 pm
Concierge

If I was from NZ it would be Mungo Jerry In The Summertime, which is what we were actually listening to while bombing around in my friend's car.
That's not a bad song, I'd take the NZ one if I were you.
Old Dec 11th 2018, 3:26 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

So Caretaker gets the soppy Carpenters, I get soppy Barbra Streisand, and you get the wonderful T-Rex? Life just ain't fair
This may have come up before as a sideline to another topic (BristolUK will remember, he's good like that), but I went looking for stats on Close to you, and was gobsmacked to find that it only reached # 6 in the UK!

Better than in Japan though, where it "peaked" at # 73
Old Dec 11th 2018, 3:42 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Siouxie, this is for you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=755KcDVPp5c

The album is superb...
Thank you kindly sir! Madness - great band
Depending on which chart you look up, I'm Norman Greenbaum - Spirit In The Sky - could be worse, lol (I'd rather have Marc Bolan - be still my heart, lol - any day)

Oh but look what I found.. chart hits for every month, for every year, in most countries!
https://tsort.info/music/n1a980.htm
I also like this website which can give you a list of every hit in every year on your birthday - from when you are born up to 2011!
Date Engine - everyHit.com

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 11th 2018 at 3:55 pm.
Old Dec 11th 2018, 4:29 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

After reading some earlier posts, I looked up what song was number one when I was 16. It was Barbra Streisand's The Way We Were
T-Rex, Get It On.
Telegram Sam I believe was my first single.

Just looking at wiki for 1973 events. I was 16 in April and it was a couple of months away from starting work. I wanted an advance of pocket money so I could get a ticket to see David Bowie in his Aladdin Sane days in the days when everyone who was anyone still played Bristol.

They didn't approve of him so they said no, but they did give me money to buy The Beatles 67-70 album.

I later swapped it - or sold it, can't remember which - and replaced it with the Aladdin Sane LP. That showed them!
Old Dec 14th 2018, 2:25 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Tonight I went to a "retirement party". The fact is that the guy had a heart attack and isn't reliable anymore so the client won't pay for him. "Retired" is a euphemism for unsaleable. I've known him, and several others there, since the 1980s. I've pimped many of them. We've slammed tequila in half a dozen countries.

We talked about an absent friend, working from home because he's not safe to drive pending the installation of a pacemaker, a man who works all hours, terrified that his physical absence will count against him. A former protégé told me about his sciatica, how he'd had to work laying on his side for a month. I then realised that, down the bar, a woman was waving "oi, dbd" she shouted "we've been razing you for five minutes and you ain't noticed. Put yer hearing aids in". Sickness, bodily failure, appliances, wtf?

As I was leaving I spoke to the retiree, he turned to a nearby lippy woman and explained that he'd known me thirty odd years. "You look younger now" I bullshitted. "Your eyes have gone then" Ms. Lippy commented.

I left dispirited. I've missed my chance to age gracefully. Yesterday I wasn't old and today I am.
Old Dec 14th 2018, 5:08 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Tonight I went to a "retirement party". The fact is that the guy had a heart attack and isn't reliable anymore so the client won't pay for him. "Retired" is a euphemism for unsaleable. I've known him, and several others there, since the 1980s. I've pimped many of them. We've slammed tequila in half a dozen countries.

We talked about an absent friend, working from home because he's not safe to drive pending the installation of a pacemaker, a man who works all hours, terrified that his physical absence will count against him. A former protégé told me about his sciatica, how he'd had to work laying on his side for a month. I then realised that, down the bar, a woman was waving "oi, dbd" she shouted "we've been razing you for five minutes and you ain't noticed. Put yer hearing aids in". Sickness, bodily failure, appliances, wtf?

As I was leaving I spoke to the retiree, he turned to a nearby lippy woman and explained that he'd known me thirty odd years. "You look younger now" I bullshitted. "Your eyes have gone then" Ms. Lippy commented.

I left dispirited. I've missed my chance to age gracefully. Yesterday I wasn't old and today I am.
You're not old - compared to me you're a youngster still! Don't get despondent, dispirited or down - as my Dad always used to say "age is just a number" .. so I won't ask you what yours is if you don't ask me mine!
So once you get to start to feel a little older.. do what I am doing... age Disgracefully!

I've had sickness, got parts of my body that don't work so well - and others that don't work at all - but sod it! I'm still breathing

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 14th 2018 at 5:13 am.
Old Dec 14th 2018, 6:29 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33

Is this the script for next year's John Lewis Christmas ad? All it needs is a sad emo girl playing some slow plinky piano and breathing out "Hope I die before I get old".
Old Dec 14th 2018, 7:26 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

T-Rex, Get It On.

Still gets played here.

Multiplication by Bobby Darin, the chart that came out the next day had Rock a hula Baby by Elvis as No.1
Old Dec 14th 2018, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Is this the script for next year's John Lewis Christmas ad? All it needs is a sad emo girl playing some slow plinky piano and breathing out "Hope I die before I get old".
If it is the dbd Christmas party/retirement party a fine ditty by John Cooper Clark or I imagine a Tom Waits song will be the theme song.
Old Dec 14th 2018, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Oh but look what I found.. chart hits for every month, for every year, in most countries!
https://tsort.info/music/n1a980.htm
Great link.

For my 16th birthday it would have been in the US Christoper Cross ' Sailing' , UK David Bowie 'Ashes to Ashes' , Canada - Rolling Stones 'Emotional Rescue' and the best one in Ireland it would have been The Jam - 'Start'. That month Germany had Funkytown for the whole month.

Do many 16 year olds these days care what is in the charts? Without sounding like an old crusty fossil with music available at the click of a phone and music stores going the way of payphones there isn't really the buzz of the charts that occurred in the past.

I was always an album guy and even today only really look at the UK album charts although sales are way down on years past.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.