Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Tamil Protest / Riot in Toronto

Tamil Protest / Riot in Toronto

Old May 12th 2009, 12:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tamil Protest / Riot in Toronto

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
The government of Canada is responsible for the goings on in Canada, not the country where a group of people trace their roots.
The government is there to serve the people of Canada and to the extent that those people are also citizens of other countries the government can reasonably be expected to take an interest in the affairs of those countries. An example of practical action taken by the government in this way would be intervention in the two World Wars.

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
That is the down fall of multiculturalism as we discussed before. Canada is a nation, not the UN.
I don't see it as a downfall that many, perhaps most, Canadians are not primarily loyal to Canada; it's what makes the country interesting. I do agree that it's not right to see Canada as a nation in the sense of being a collection of people loyal to a place, I think it more accurate to see being Canadian as being an adjunct to one's real life, something like holding a driving license doesn't make one primarily a driver.
Old May 12th 2009, 1:41 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
The government is there to serve the people of Canada and to the extent that those people are also citizens of other countries the government can reasonably be expected to take an interest in the affairs of those countries. An example of practical action taken by the government in this way would be intervention in the two World Wars.
I'm not sure i agree with that, dbd. It's dangerous grounds to walk on by taking an interest in this way purely because it opens the door to the many issues around the world where their citizens live in Canada.

I'm not sure of the numbers but does this mean people have the green light to cause issues until Canada jumps into the Pakistan problems, Somalia, Sudan, Chad, etc etc.

Also, i'd argue that Canada intervened in WW 1 because they were part of the British Empire at the time. Similarly for WW 2 due to probably the commonwealth aspect. That and the fact that if the allies lost the war then eventually they'd be screwed I'm not a war buff by any means so i'm happy to be corrected
Old May 12th 2009, 2:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
I'm not sure of the numbers but does this mean people have the green light to cause issues until Canada jumps into the Pakistan problems, Somalia, Sudan, Chad, etc etc.
Not exactly. People already have the green light to protest against anything at all, demonstrations inevitably cause inconvenience to others so I don't see that there's cause to be particularly concerned about this group delaying a few vehicular commuters. Had they demonstrated in rush hour the impact would have been about the same as when those fat blokes troop out for a round of America's pastime, something that happens weekly in the Summer. Nonetheless, people blocking the traffic in Toronto should expect to be dragged away and subject to small penalties, double penalties if they're drinking beer.

Independently of all that, Canadians may reasonably expect that the government of the country of one of their citizenships take an interest in the affairs of the other, Harper should have some sort of stance on Sri Lanka. It doesn't follow that Canada need "jump into" conflicts abroad. In fact, I think Canada did too much dabbling abroad on behalf of the former US government. Canada's position is unusual in that being the standard bearer for multi-culturalism makes every conflict Canada's conflict.
Old May 12th 2009, 2:59 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Independently of all that, Canadians may reasonably expect that the government of the country of one of their citizenships take an interest in the affairs of the other, Harper should have some sort of stance on Sri Lanka. It doesn't follow that Canada need "jump into" conflicts abroad. In fact, I think Canada did too much dabbling abroad on behalf of the former US government. Canada's position is unusual in that being the standard bearer for multi-culturalism makes every conflict Canada's conflict.
One comment on a news website asked why Canada isn't sending troops to help the Tamils, when we have troops in Afghanistan that the public want brought home.

Someone else replied with the following.
1. Afghanistan is a UN-sanctioned mission.
2. Moving the troops to Sri Lanka isn't bringing them home.
Old May 12th 2009, 3:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
One comment on a news website asked why Canada isn't sending troops to help the Tamils, when we have troops in Afghanistan that the public want brought home.

Someone else replied with the following.
1. Afghanistan is a UN-sanctioned mission.
2. Moving the troops to Sri Lanka isn't bringing them home.

I think that the UN is a red herring as regards Canada's policy in Afghanistan. I think that was all about pleasing President Bush.

A good reason for not sending troops to join one side in a foreign war is that Canada likely has as many dual nationals with each side. If Canada were to intervene in Sri Lanka it might as well be to crush the Tamils as to help them.
Old May 12th 2009, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

So, guess what, it starts all over again tomorrow. Relax, your precious expressway won't be cluttered but there will more minor inconvenience. I just can't wait for the predictable outcry. That is a given. I just hope the notion of using water hoses, ostensibly for crowd control, favored by some here, has been discarded.

"Motorists are advised to consider alternate routes due to the anticipated traffic congestion. Any road closures that may occur will be communicated to the public."

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...TorontoNewHome
Old May 12th 2009, 11:52 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montreal mike
So, guess what, it starts all over again tomorrow. Relax, your precious expressway won't be cluttered but there will more minor inconvenience. I just can't wait for the predictable outcry. That is a given. I just hope the notion of using water hoses, ostensibly for crowd control, favored by some here, has been discarded.

"Motorists are advised to consider alternate routes due to the anticipated traffic congestion. Any road closures that may occur will be communicated to the public."

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...TorontoNewHome
This is an outrage too far. Nuke the bastards!!!
Old May 13th 2009, 12:08 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
This is an outrage too far. Nuke the bastards!!!
AHEM

I would refer you to post #56 and ask you come up with your own solution.
Old May 13th 2009, 12:09 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
AHEM

SS109.
Old May 13th 2009, 12:14 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

AHEM

Butch, Butch, Butch, what the hell is up with your irony detector tonight?

<BTW thanks for the compliment on that J-P twit's thread.>
Old May 13th 2009, 12:18 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
SS109.
Is this what being a fan of The Arsenal leads too?
Old May 13th 2009, 12:19 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Butch, Butch, Butch, what the hell is up with your irony detector tonight?

<BTW thanks for the compliment on that J-P twit's thread.>
With regard to the compliment, no worries It was heartfelt.

Irony? looks like it cuts both ways
Old May 13th 2009, 12:25 am
Born again atheist

With regard to the compliment, no worries It was heartfelt.

Irony? looks like it cuts both ways
Yes, I thought it might, but TBH it was too clever for me. Care to elucidate?

Edit. Oh, I see. I thought that was a given.
Old May 13th 2009, 1:04 am
Assimilated Pauper

Today I spoke with someone who was delayed for three hours on the Gardiner by the protest. She was not amused, "I had to pee in front of them, the Tamils". I don't suppose they loved it either.
Old May 13th 2009, 1:05 am
Account Closed

Today I spoke with someone who was delayed for three hours on the Gardiner by the protest. She was not amused, "I had to pee in front of them, the Tamils". I don't suppose they loved it either.
They probably enjoyed the view.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.