Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Tamil Protest / Riot in Toronto

Tamil Protest / Riot in Toronto

Old May 11th 2009, 1:23 am
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tamil Protest / Riot in Toronto

Anyone else affected by the protest on the Gardiner at the moment? Tamil protesters have taken over the Gardiner Expressway and are refusing to move until a representative of the government turns up to tell them what Canada will do about the war in Sri Lanka.

As taken from my condo this evening. Still ongoing, looks like it may well still get nasty. Mind you, there are a load of children in the crowd.
Attached Thumbnails Tamil Protest / Riot in Toronto-protest1.jpg   Tamil Protest / Riot in Toronto-protest2.jpg   Tamil Protest / Riot in Toronto-protest3.jpg   Tamil Protest / Riot in Toronto-protest4.jpg  
Old May 11th 2009, 2:47 am

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tamil Protest / Riot in Toronto

Hmmm, first I heard of that! It's a shame they had to go and do that, up till now they have made their presence felt in a fairly peaceful manner. Inconvenient, but peaceful. What exactly do they expect Canada to do, I wonder?
Old May 11th 2009, 2:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
Anyone else affected by the protest on the Gardiner at the moment? Tamil protesters have taken over the Gardiner Expressway and are refusing to move until a representative of the government turns up to tell them what Canada will do about the war in Sri Lanka.

As taken from my condo this evening. Still ongoing, looks like it may well still get nasty. Mind you, there are a load of children in the crowd.
I didn't see your thread when I posted a new thread...perhaps the Canada mods could merge them...please.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=608366

We were just about to leave T.O. via the Gardiner when it broke out.
Old May 11th 2009, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

protest yes, riot no. can we gets our facts right for a change?

i listened to a protester, not i emphasize a rioter, who simply asked for a meeting with Harper.

A simple reasonable request methinks.
Old May 11th 2009, 3:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montreal mike
protest yes, riot no. can we gets our facts right for a change?

i listened to a protester, not i emphasize a rioter, who simply asked for a meeting with Harper.

A simple reasonable request methinks.
Yeah if it wasn't for bringing many of the main routes around the city to a standstill.
Old May 11th 2009, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Yeah if it wasn't for bringing many of the main routes around the city to a standstill.
I can well understand the outrage but on the other what is the big deal for a representative of Harper to meet with these people?
Old May 11th 2009, 3:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I can well understand the outrage but on the other what is the big deal for a representative of Harper to meet with these people?
Quite frankly I don't care who gets to see Harper or who doesn't. This is not the way to do it IMO...and certainly not the way to gain local support. I wonder how much this is costing the taxpayers?
Old May 11th 2009, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Quite frankly I don't care who gets to see Harper or who doesn't. This is not the way to do it IMO...and certainly not the way to gain local support. I wonder how much this is costing the taxpayers?
Perhaps if someone in Harper's entourage were to put in an appearance it might resolve the issue?
Old May 11th 2009, 3:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Perhaps if someone in Harper's entourage were to put in an appearance it might resolve the issue?
Maybe water hoses would too.
Old May 11th 2009, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe water hoses would too.
Be serious, then it might turn into a riot.
Old May 11th 2009, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

from CTV

They are demanding to speak to a representative of Prime Minister Stephen Harper about the civil war in Sri Lanka. Police have said that will not be possible.

Interesting that we are offered no explanation as to why it is not possible
Old May 11th 2009, 3:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Be serious, then it might turn into a riot.
I am being serious. They should lock them all up.

from CTV

They are demanding to speak to a representative of Prime Minister Stephen Harper about the civil war in Sri Lanka. Police have said that will not be possible.

Interesting that we are offered no explanation as to why it is not possible
Could it be because they are breaking the law?
Old May 11th 2009, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

I am being serious. They should lock them all up.

Could it be because they are breaking the law?
This is speculation on your part.

When the native Indian tied up traffic by putting a bus on the rail line in Ontario it was resolved not by water hoses but by dialogue.
Old May 11th 2009, 3:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

This is speculation on your part.

When the native Indian tied up traffic by putting a bus on the rail line in Ontario it was resolved not by water hoses but by dialogue.
What is speculation...that they are breaking the law?
Old May 11th 2009, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

What is speculation...that they are breaking the law?
Of course they are breaking the law.

My comment on your speculation was that I understood you to mean no one in the federal govt. would meet with them because they were breaking the law.

Meanwhile you would condone using water hoses on women and children? Thank GOD the local cops do not share your sentiments.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.