Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Soldier beheaded broad daylight _Woolwich!

Soldier beheaded broad daylight _Woolwich!

Old May 23rd 2013, 1:56 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Soldier beheaded broad daylight _Woolwich!

Originally Posted by Shard
Some of the Irish terrorists may well have been acting purely for criminal reasons, but I suspect many did harbour genuine political grievances. However, none of them rejected their root culture (Irish) indeed their actions were in defence of that culture. This situations differs in that the perpetrators have turned against their own nation.
Firstly, I thought this a fantastic tale of a good deed not going unpunished:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/ma...person-account

" I trained as a first aider when I was a Brownie leader, so I asked someone to watch my bag and then got off to see if I could help....

The bus then started to move away. They dropped us in the middle of Lewisham which really annoyed me because I had no idea how to get from there to Parliament Square. "

Secondly, I think your summation does a disservice to the Irish by suggesting that they're all of one culture (is, for example, painting kerb stones a long standing Catholic thing?) and to the mad religionists of Woolwich. The cleaver fella plainly belonged to multiple cultures before Islam entered the picture, he was a Nigerian born in the UK, which makes him about as English as I am Canadian.
Old May 23rd 2013, 2:02 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Was that a terrorist? Nope just a run o the mill nutcase I thinks
The political and religious statements afterwards separate it from a general murder.
Old May 23rd 2013, 2:09 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Some of the Irish terrorists may well have been acting purely for criminal reasons, but I suspect many did harbour genuine political grievances. However, none of them rejected their root culture (Irish) indeed their actions were in defence of that culture. This situations differs in that the perpetrators have turned against their own nation.
Sorry what?

a) Everyone in the original IRA was by definition British as the UK extended over the entire island at that time. Most in the 60's onwards version were also British.

b) There were a number of Protestants involved some of whom were what you would definitely term "British".

There isn't really a different in "turning against your own nation" with those facts in mind.

I'd imagine if some local Muslim decided to run up and start hacking some RCMP or military bod to death close to Parliament Hill whilst shouting "God is Great" in arabic we'd not be gesticulating about whether it's "merely" a nutcase.
Old May 23rd 2013, 2:18 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33

" I trained as a first aider when I was a Brownie leader, so I asked someone to watch my bag and then got off to see if I could help....

The bus then started to move away. They dropped us in the middle of Lewisham which really annoyed me because I had no idea how to get from there to Parliament Square. "

Secondly, I think your summation does a disservice to the Irish by suggesting that they're all of one culture (is, for example, painting kerb stones a long standing Catholic thing?) and to the mad religionists of Woolwich. The cleaver fella plainly belonged to multiple cultures before Islam entered the picture, he was a Nigerian born in the UK, which makes him about as English as I am Canadian.
That is a surreal first person account! Thanks for posting (missed that one). Though I am bit suspicious of her Brownie training if she can't find Parliament Square from Lewisham.

Second point is thought provoking. Only because I have a Nigerian London friend who was convinced he was more Nigerian than British, until he spent a couple of summers in Lagos and realised it might not be the case.
Old May 23rd 2013, 2:18 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
I'd imagine if some local Muslim decided to run up and start hacking some RCMP or military bod to death close to Parliament Hill whilst shouting "God is Great" in arabic we'd not be gesticulating about whether it's "merely" a nutcase.
He was an off-duty soldier, probably not immediately identifiable as military* - he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. The murderers were talking to women on camera, and warned people that 'women were safe but they would kill any man who approached.'

They wanted to kill Western men, not necessarily soldiers.

*Yes, the man was wearing a Help For Heroes t-shirt, which personally I find crass and distasteful, and I can see why some may find it find offensive.
Old May 23rd 2013, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I believe that if you speak to most that experienced "The Troubles" first hand, they will disagree with your summary of what actually when on on the ground. Having said that ...
Shard - above + what Jingsamichty said.

Plus the movie "Clean Skin", plus some basic reading, plus the recognition that it is not about pies + a beer, it is that beliefs are strong/forceful in shaping behaviours. Anyone can pick up a weird belief/attitude that results in harm.

But you seem convinced this is incredulous, so go thee forward.
Old May 23rd 2013, 2:20 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Great story in the Guardian.
Old May 23rd 2013, 2:21 pm
The ride never ends

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
*Yes, the man was wearing a Help For Heroes t-shirt, which personally I find crass and distasteful, and I can see why some may find it find offensive.
Best hack him to bits just to make sure the point is made eh?
Old May 23rd 2013, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
And no one has even given a thought to the poor guy who was murdered, what of his family, what must they be thinking now?
Yes.

This.

And the whole world has minute by minute details, nothing like a respectful talk to the family and loved ones first with discretion.

CNN is particularly abhorrent, it's like they get off on a "Oh Terror is real and oh so scary!" vibe on that station.
Old May 23rd 2013, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Btw those 2 were clearly deluded, they wanted to start a "war in London" with machetes and a handgun, waiting for the police to come and then ran for them.

Looneys can use/latch on to any excuse, and it appears the retribution against Muslims has started in the UK.
Old May 23rd 2013, 2:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by floatsy
And the whole world has minute by minute details, nothing like a respectful talk to the family and loved ones first with discretion.
Eh? The only reason for talking to the family and loved ones would be to poke them into saying something outrageous about the prepetrator or to cause them to break down theatrically for the camera. The respectful and discreet course of action is to leave them alone.

Last edited by dbd33; May 23rd 2013 at 2:27 pm.
Old May 23rd 2013, 2:26 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

If I was a marginalised young man in London, with a keen sense of empathy to atrocities being carried out daily on people I regarded as "kin", I might feel angry enough to do something stupid. We've been through it all before with angry young Catholics feeling disenfranchised in Northern Ireland.

I don't recall seeing mass news coverage of the primary schools or wedding parties that we've dropped drones on? Do you know how many innocent Afghans or Iraqis were killed by US/UK troops this week alone? Neither do I, but I think we'd all agree it probably more than 1.

I don't offer this as justification for what the murderers did, but rather as an explanation of why so many angry, disenfranchised young radicals are on the streets right now. We created that situation, and the rise of fascist politics in the UK today will only make the tensions worse.
What I said, but with clarity and precision.
Old May 23rd 2013, 2:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

He was an off-duty soldier, probably not immediately identifiable as military* - he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. The murderers were talking to women on camera, and warned people that 'women were safe but they would kill any man who approached.'

They wanted to kill Western men, not necessarily soldiers.

From the comments he made to the woman that spoke to him (if these are to be believed) he wanted to kill soldiers.
Old May 23rd 2013, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eh? The only reason for talking to the family and loved ones would be to poke them into saying something outrageous about the prepetrator or to cause them to break down theatrically for the camera. The respectful and discreet course of action is to leave them alone.
Eh back at you.

I am not talking about the media talking to them.
Old May 23rd 2013, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Oink
What I said, but with clarity and precision.
I understood it.

FWIW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.