Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Soldier beheaded broad daylight _Woolwich!

Soldier beheaded broad daylight _Woolwich!

Old May 27th 2013, 6:37 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Soldier beheaded broad daylight _Woolwich!

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I think there was a bit more to it than that. You might want to check some history books.
Not much more than than that. It was ludicrous for the Americans to get as paranoid as they did, and to enter an arms race in the process. Hindsight is 20/20 but plenty of people were saying so at the time.
Old May 28th 2013, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Your post above suggested that members of "Islam" had an issue with the US supporting Jews. I merely asked what the Jewish had done to member of Islam that was so offensive. I am not baiting anyone but, if you allege something, you must clarify when asked.

Which "arch enemies" of Islam have the US assisted?
Your tone is fine, Almost Canadian, but you are either having a laugh either with:

1. Such an incomprehensible lack of knowledge about the Israel-US-Middle East triangle where there is so much knowledge and information about this topic

Myself, even as an unacquainted, rather ignorant person re: world affairs can pick it up from the most base of news sources on the web/TV, but you are acting like this is news of a newly discovered moth species in the Amazon

As per above, read on what I provided if you are genuinely interested, or admit you are not sincere about this.

2. No, it is not my premise to clarify for you what is known and you have been pointed to multiple sources. And as you seem to be having considerable issues with it - again, I did not allege it. I referenced what I had read when I was a wee one, can you not accept that people read and remember historical facts and different perspectives?

You might not like it or be open to the same, but many are, I believe. And as world citizens, I think we should be open to learning and empathizing about moderate elements so that our own responses can be better moderated. One would hope there are more such citizens.

As I said, bait elsewhere.

Cheers,
floatsy

Last edited by januarymix; May 28th 2013 at 9:07 am.
Old May 28th 2013, 9:14 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by floatsy
Your tone is fine, Almost Canadian, but you are either having a laugh either with:

1. Such an incomprehensible lack of knowledge about the Israel-US-Middle East triangle where there is so much knowledge and information about this topic

Myself, even as an unacquainted, rather ignorant person re: world affairs can pick it up from the most base of news sources on the web/TV, but you are acting like this is news of a newly discovered moth species in the Amazon

As per above, read on what I provided if you are genuinely interested, or admit you are not sincere about this.

2. No, it is not my premise to clarify for you what is known and you have been pointed to multiple sources. And as you seem to be having considerable issues with it - again, I did not allege it. I referenced what I had read when I was a wee one, can you not accept that people read and remember historical facts and different perspectives?

You might not like it or be open to the same, but many are, I believe. And as world citizens, I think we should be open to learning and empathizing about moderate elements so that our own responses can be better moderated. One would hope there are more such citizens.

As I said, bait elsewhere.

Cheers,
floatsy
http://casualsunited.files.wordpress...3/05/islam.jpg

No doubt painted by a "world citizen"
Old May 28th 2013, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah saw that a couple of days ago on Le Guardian.
Old May 28th 2013, 9:26 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
http://casualsunited.files.wordpress...3/05/islam.jpg

No doubt painted by a "world citizen"
It's a fine example of culture clash. In one respect it is to be welcomed, as it is wake up call to the many liberals who dismiss extremist muslims as misguided but generally harmless idealists.

It would be good to know what moderate muslims think of seeing their word used as a provocation (if indeed it was Islamists and not, say, the EDL that painted the word).
Old May 28th 2013, 11:38 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
it is wake up call to the many liberals who dismiss extremist muslims as misguided but generally harmless idealists.
Who are these men of straw?
Old May 28th 2013, 11:47 am
Yo

Originally Posted by dbd33
Who are these men of straw?
Those that, for example, that provide freedoms to Anjem Choudary while he brainwashes youngsters into jihad.
Old May 28th 2013, 11:55 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Those that, for example, that provide freedoms to Anjem Choudary while he brainwashes youngsters into jihad.
I take "provide freedoms" to mean failure to drag away in chains for obnoxious but lawful speech.

That's not the same as dismissing him as a "misguided but generally harmless idealist". Who dismisses him in this way?
Old May 28th 2013, 12:26 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Not much more than than that. It was ludicrous for the Americans to get as paranoid as they did, and to enter an arms race in the process. Hindsight is 20/20 but plenty of people were saying so at the time.
Even if you don't buy into the ideology, free world vs communist bloc in competition for resources in a colonial sense is a lot bigger than beans. The arms race, (and the whole military-industrial complex cliche) means dollars, votes, a decent slice in a pie chart in the west but not behind the iron curtain, and the space race, while less profitable, really bankrupted the Soviets because they were fooled into thinking America was much further advanced in technology than they really were, and so dedicated disproportionate rubles into rocketry.
Old May 28th 2013, 1:48 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by dbd33
I take "provide freedoms" to mean failure to drag away in chains for obnoxious but lawful speech.

That's not the same as dismissing him as a "misguided but generally harmless idealist". Who dismisses him in this way?
In my view if you don't "drag him away in chains", you're dismissing him as harmless. If he had suicide belt on, he would be dragged away; however, if he influences and persuades vulnerable people, through his freedom of speech, to strap on suicide belts, is he still harmless?
Old May 28th 2013, 1:55 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

In my view if you don't "drag him away in chains", you're dismissing him as harmless. If he had suicide belt on, he would be dragged away; however, if he influences and persuades vulnerable people, through his freedom of speech, to strap on suicide belts, is he still harmless?
Its one the few things my American friends do well. Apart from very tiny and precedented situations, freedom of speech should be absolute.
Old May 28th 2013, 1:59 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Oink
Its one the few things my American friends do well. Apart from very tiny and precedented situations, freedom of speech should be absolute.
American friends? You said in earlier post you are a US passport holder?

In any case, I don't think Americans are quite so tolerant of speech freedoms when their national interest is under threat. The Department of Homeland Security comes to mind.
Old May 28th 2013, 2:31 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

American friends? You said in earlier post you are a US passport holder?

In any case, I don't think Americans are quite so tolerant of speech freedoms when their national interest is under threat. The Department of Homeland Security comes to mind.
Culturally I'm British.

There are limits, for instance for specific threats of violence but general and abstract teaching of the necessity to a resort to force and violence, is not the same.
Old May 28th 2013, 9:34 pm
BEd Enthusiast

cjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt it's too much of a stretch to assume that after the cold war petered out certain vested interests were none to pleased about the prospect of the supposed peace dividend. It's probably safe to say that at the time various groups considered essays like S P Huntington's "Clash of Civilizations" more as a business plan of sorts, rather than as a simple rebuttal of Fukuyama's "End of History" theory?
Old May 28th 2013, 9:49 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cjones
Fukuyama

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.