So..... Trump!

Old Nov 9th 2016, 8:47 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So..... Trump!

Originally Posted by jimf

About 7,403,000,000 people at the self flagellation of 60 million Trump voters.
Old Nov 9th 2016, 8:59 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I wish people would stop conflating Donald Trump's US presidential campaign and election with Brexit. One is a movement that believes in a mythical historical nationalism based on racial homogeneity and isolationism and the other is a desire to be in the driving seat of our own destiny and to shape our own future.
Which one is which?
Old Nov 9th 2016, 9:12 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Which one is which?
It depends on which side of the Atlantic you live.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 12:40 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
It's very hard to understand the American attitude toward Obamacare. It seems very unpopular, even amongst some of the people who had no health insurance before.
They're worried about the Death Panels.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 1:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
There is no real issue at all. The electorate voted for whichever candidate they felt best represented their interests and the result reflected that.

If, in 4 years time, the electorate wishes for "change", it will have the right to vote again.

Personally, I think it will be refreshing to have a leader of a significant country that doesn't care about being politically correct and will say whatever he wishes to say. Time will tell whether he is a success, or a failure.
+1

I think this is one of the reasons he won. People (in the US at least) are tired of the left wing, PC brigade that Hillary would have continued and intensified. Her campaign also mainly focused on why you shouldn't vote for Trump. Trump's campaign, when he wasn't spouting nonsense, he did outline his economic policy which is very good, and his stance on illegal immigration resonates with me. Chances are with Trump the immigration system in the US will remain as-is, with harsher penalties for illegals. The reality is Mexico/S. America is not in immediate global conflict, they are just insanely corrupt with bad economies. So they don't qualify as refugees. So if you want to immigrate, come in legally please. (and no, he won't really build a wall)

Re the abortion issue. The worst that can happen is Roe v. Wade is overturned, which would return the mandate on abortion to individual states. Not ideal, but not "ABORTION IS BANNED ACROSS THE US" either. Most states would continue to have abortion. In the US, this makes more sense anyways as the states have vast powers compared to Canadian provinces on most matters.

I am surprised he won. I wasn't overly enthusiastic about Clinton, so I can't say i'm disappointed, but I was definitely not expecting it.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 2:08 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
...left wing, PC brigade that Hillary would have continued and intensified...
I know things are relative and something described as big may only seem big compared to something small but can still be tiny, relatively, when compared to something really ginormous.

But I'm having a hard time keeping a straight face at the idea of Hillary Clinton being a lefty.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 2:19 am
Oscar nominated

Not just Canada to flee to

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...r-election-day
Old Nov 10th 2016, 2:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I know things are relative and something described as big may only seem big compared to something small but can still be tiny, relatively, when compared to something really ginormous.

But I'm having a hard time keeping a straight face at the idea of Hillary Clinton being a lefty.
Oh ya... Relatively for sure. She would lean "conservative" in Canadian politics. I was using an American POV. (though technically, she could be defined as "centrist" too.)
Old Nov 10th 2016, 12:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Re the abortion issue. The worst that can happen is Roe v. Wade is overturned, which would return the mandate on abortion to individual states. Not ideal, but not "ABORTION IS BANNED ACROSS THE US" either. Most states would continue to have abortion.
In the limited sense that a rich woman in one of those States could legally obtain an abortion though, of course, a rich woman may as well jump on her jet and go and have an abortion somewhere else. The argument is about access to abortion as well as being about the technical legality of abortion.

Trump's economic policy, as I understand it, is to cancel all trade agreements with foreign nations and to build coal fired factories to make America Great Again. Can you point to a statement of his policy which expands upon that?
Old Nov 10th 2016, 12:49 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33

Trump's economic policy, as I understand it, is to cancel all trade agreements with foreign nations and to build coal fired factories to make America Great Again. Can you point to a statement of his policy which expands upon that?
He is such a forking moron. Such a poor businessman too, if he didn't routinely stuff his shareholders, coerce his banks, and short the government, he would be just another sleazy NY property developer.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 1:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

He is such a forking moron. Such a poor businessman too, if he didn't routinely stuff his shareholders, coerce his banks, and short the government, he would be just another sleazy NY property developer.
I suspect all sleazy property developers do that. What sets Trump apart is that he was on TV. I think the Democratic rumblings about running Michelle Obama miss the point, they should be running Kim Kardashian.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 1:09 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect all sleazy property developers do that. What sets Trump apart is that he was on TV. I think the Democratic rumblings about running Michelle Obama miss the point, they should be running Kim Kardashian.
It's clear now they should have run Bernie though. The vote was to break the status quo, the Democrats needed an outsider too. Bernie wasn't technically an outsider, but his views were fairly out-of-the-box for America, and he is much more likeable that Trump. I would say he was tougher too.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 1:16 pm
Oscar nominated

My first reaction to that is

but then not too long ago the suggestion of Trump as a candidate would likely have got the same reaction.

We've already had Arnie as Governor. Maybe we can't be surprised anymore.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 1:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

It's clear now they should have run Bernie though.
I don't agree with that. He would have split the "**** the system" vote while alienating Reagan Democrats. I think Hillary was the better choice (of just those two).
Old Nov 10th 2016, 1:31 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by BristolUK
My first reaction to that is

but then not too long ago the suggestion of Trump as a candidate would likely have got the same reaction.

We've already had Arnie as Governor. Maybe we can't be surprised anymore.
Apparently the bookie odds on Trump when he announced his candidacy was 150:1.

Arnie was reasonably political prior to running for gov, and is Austrian so presumably a bit more worldly than Trump. I suppose Trumps motivations are in the right place, just his thinking rather simplistic. I think it will be interesting to see how he handles politics. For so many years he's been an autonomous businessman, surrounded by self-picked yes men (and yes women) focused on the trivialities and vulgarities. Now he will have to do some real work, have to be accountable to many people, and attempt to achieve progress within a labyrinth of rules. Will he be a Reagan and surround himself with a good team, and just provide strategic guidance? I don't know, that era where the public was hardly informed, seems to have past. Do I wish him well? Not really. I hope he is exposed for the charlatan he is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.