So..... Trump!

Old Nov 9th 2016, 6:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So..... Trump!

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I assume that you, like me, know of Flint largely because of the documentary film by Michael Moore.

He's not really a Trump supporter.
But look to Scotland where Trump has cut off the water supply to someone who wouldn't sell a property to him, if he did that in Flint he'd solve the poisoned water problem atastroke!
Old Nov 9th 2016, 6:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
Even now, after having won against all predictions, there are those who seek to avoid the real issues and belittle the outcome.

Trump won because, whatever his shortcomings and he had many, he appealed to those ignored for so long. You have only to study the appalling case of Flint and the manner in this poor region was treated by the political class.. and cases like this extend across the US. The anger of the hard working man who has seen his way of life slowly sucked from his community has been seething, waiting for the opportunity to give politics the middle finger.
I think I'm belittling the voters, not the outcome.

Trump is not going to bring the factories back to the rust belt. Trump is not going to build a wall across the southern border. Trump is not going to eliminate Islam from the US. What he will do is to eliminate Obamacare and appoint judges to the Supreme Court who will allow legislation limiting access to abortion.

In short, he'll be harmful to poor people and they are stupid to vote for him even if he will allow them to fly the Stars and Bars.
Old Nov 9th 2016, 6:23 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
It's very hard to understand the American attitude toward Obamacare. It seems very unpopular, even amongst some of the people who had no health insurance before.
It has been interesting today to see how the markets have been reacting.

Mining stocks went up (the usual flight to gold). Pharmaceutical stocks went up (one imagines that they will be facing less control on what they charge).

I didn't check insurance companies. I guess that they are rubbing their hands too.

I spent a few days in the UK and watching the S*y news in my hotel room was gobsmacking. Talk about bias!
Old Nov 9th 2016, 6:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Refreshing yes, I get that in some respects but that same leader that doesn't care about much at all will have his finger on the nuclear button, has the ability to cause significant economic turmoil for the rest of the world and to prosecute an aggressive agenda against those that wronged him. Thats rather more terrifying than refreshing.
Well, as we all know, being POTUS does not give one complete discretion regarding the "nuclear button" and, in reality, has little power to make the decisions you are referring to, particularly if those on Capitol Hill don't wish to assist him.
Old Nov 9th 2016, 6:41 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33

Trump is not going to bring the factories back to the rust belt. Trump is not going to build a wall across the southern border. Trump is not going to eliminate Islam from the US. What he will do is to eliminate Obamacare and appoint judges to the Supreme Court who will allow legislation limiting access to abortion.

In short, he'll be harmful to poor people and they are stupid to vote for him even if he will allow them to fly the Stars and Bars.
How do you know he won't bring factories back to the rust belt? Trashing things that would make employees more expensive to run could make manufacturing more viable.

This idea of resource repatriation has been building for some years.
Old Nov 9th 2016, 6:44 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
I spent a few days in the UK and watching the S*y news in my hotel room was gobsmacking. Talk about bias!
There is definitely bias in the UK news, Channel 4 were literally gloating about a Hilary win on Election Day. Rather different tone today.
Old Nov 9th 2016, 7:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Souvy
How do you know he won't bring factories back to the rust belt?
I don't know for an absolute certainty but it's very unlikely indeed. Besides the practical difficulties, he's a free trader not a protectionist. In his business he uses steel from China and workers from Mexico and I think what he does is more telling that what he says.
Old Nov 9th 2016, 7:25 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

In short, he'll be harmful to poor people and they are stupid to vote for him
In Trump's own words "What the hell have you got to lose?"

In a rich land where so many wealthy are too wealthy, after decades of the status quo, as Bloomburg reported earlier this year Food Stamps Still Feed One in Seven Americans Despite Recovery - Bloomberg the poor might be being bloody minded but they aren't being stupid, it'll be those who have something to lose that'll call them that.

The rule that 'poor people don't vote' will henceforth need to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Last edited by dave_j; Nov 9th 2016 at 7:36 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2016, 7:39 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Healthcare and access to abortion. See above.
Old Nov 9th 2016, 7:47 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Paris climate change agreement, NATO...
Old Nov 9th 2016, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

There is definitely bias in the UK news, Channel 4 were literally gloating about a Hilary win on Election Day. Rather different tone today.
CNN and MSNBC were very biassed towards Clinton and Fox News Channel and the Drudge Report were quite pro Republican (Fox) and Trump (Drudge).
Old Nov 9th 2016, 8:02 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I wish people would stop conflating Donald Trump's US presidential campaign and election with Brexit. One is a movement that believes in a mythical historical nationalism based on racial homogeneity and isolationism and the other is a desire to be in the driving seat of our own destiny and to shape our own future.

Last edited by Oink; Nov 9th 2016 at 8:21 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2016, 8:16 pm
Yo

I think the Brexit reference is in relation to the silent frustrated majority who have only made their views known at the ballot box.
Old Nov 9th 2016, 8:19 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Healthcare and access to abortion. See above.
Paris climate change agreement, NATO...
I would agree with you if I were voting.

However, the point being missed here is that the poor don't care about healthcare, they don't have any. They don't care about climate change, they have enough problems feeing themselves. They don't care about NATO, it's their sons that'll be sent to rattle sabres.

You and I might regret the vote, but all the poor had was one vote each, and they used it en masse. It remains to be seen whether they will feel it was wasted in four years time, but what had they to lose?
Old Nov 9th 2016, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Who's laughing now .....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.