The smokers thread

Old Apr 10th 2007, 5:23 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The smokers thread

Originally Posted by Robin (The Gadget family)
I am a smoker
Experiment! Define yourself as a non-smoker and see what happens.

I haven't yet found the right minute
As far as I can see, one minute is as good as the next.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 5:24 pm
swoops

swoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to all

Originally Posted by raine66
Just a quick one from me right now, as one way out the door.

I am on day 8 of giving up, for the third time.

I didn't really make a concious effort this time and set a date or anything I just ran out of cigs and decided that there was no time like the present.

Will give more details on why etc when I have more time, good luck to everyone.
Hang on in there..Its worth all that hardship..
Old Apr 10th 2007, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick one from me right now, as one way out the door.

I am on day 8 of giving up, for the third time.

I didn't really make a concious effort this time and set a date or anything I just ran out of cigs and decided that there was no time like the present.

Will give more details on why etc when I have more time, good luck to everyone.
Well done Raine66

8 days - Wow!
Old Apr 10th 2007, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute

My Dad's been off the ciggs for 30+ years.

When he was at the beginning stages of quitting, if somebody offered him one he would say, "thank you, but I choose not to smoke".

He found this better than saying, i'm trying to give up, what he said made him feel in control & not just 'trying'.

Don't know if this will be helpful to anyone, but thought i'd share his 'tip' with you.

My Mum gave up at the same time as my Dad & the money they would have spent on ciggs each day, they put in a big glass sweet jar - it was good watching it mount up. Later that year, the money in the jar paid for a holiday for us all

Good luck to you all.

Arris

Last edited by Arris; Apr 10th 2007 at 5:44 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 6:12 pm

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Robin,
The OMG's are all ex smokers, were the only ones....
Who have confessed to it anyway...

That's it July 1st it is, have to tell OH and sproglets to break out the hard hats again...

Last time I tried to give up OH and I had a row, he actually told me to have a cigarette as he couldn't bear my moods any longer, by the time he had finished the sentence I had driven to the shop bought and opened them and was merrily puffing away whilst swearing about men.

I may regret this
Charlie
Old Apr 10th 2007, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

blueeyes2002 will become famous soon enoughblueeyes2002 will become famous soon enough

I gave up 11 months ago with the help of Zyban. I did it through Quit-line and got the tablets free of charge. I stopped on 18 May and haven't wanted one since. I had tried many times over the years and always failed abysmally ( I was between 30 & 40 a day), so much so my husband would have bet money on me failing again, this time round though I did it for me, no-one else.

Our smoking ban here in Guernsey came into force on 02 July last year and was one of the reasons I gave up. My main reason was my health and pocket...

Best of luck to all who choose to do it, don't do it for anyone else but you.

Sandra
Old Apr 10th 2007, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no a smokers thread.

Ok i admit it i smoke but i'm not proud of it and have promised the kids i will give up before we get to Canada. At the time i made that promise it seemed an age away but the date is now getting nearer now and hopefully we will be off by beginning of June so i have got to give it up real soon.
My wife has bought me the Paul Mckenna give up smoking book and CD so i really have to do it now.
I keep thinking god what a stressful time in my life to be quitting smoking.
I never smoke in the house and none of my immediate family or friends smoke anymore so i don't have many excuses really.

BTW Robin the gadget family i passed the chest x ray but was certainly worried about it and was constantly being nagged by the OH but as you probably know us smokers don't like to be nagged, we have to do it ourselves at the end of the day.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 8:17 pm
Reunited

raine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond repute

Well like I said for me it was not a case of on such a date I'm going to quit smoking, although I had been thinking about it for a while.

I had my last cigarette from the pack before I went out to do some shopping and on the way home thought christ I forgot to pick up some fags, so took a detour to the convenience store. The strange thing was that once I was there I sat in the carpark for ten minutes telling myself that I didn't need them and that I should just go home. I don't know how I done it but I drove home without buying any and 8 days later I still haven't had one.

This is my third attempt at quitting, the first time was around 2 years ago and I quit for 6 months and the second was just before Christmas when I quit for 3 weeks (that was a real poor attempt and the worse time of year) excuse maybe, but hey it's the only one I have. Also on those occasions OH was working in Germany so this time I have someone to nag me.

My OH doesn't smoke and believe it or not it took him till day 6 to notice. When he did finally mention it he said that I was always so discrete about it anyway and that was why he hadn't really noticed.

My incentive is my two children who are only 5.5 and 4 and if I continue to smoke then I beleive that I will be leaving them without a mother at a very young age, a very selfish and cruel thing to do I my opinion.

So every time that little demon pops into my head and I get that urge to have one I just keep reminding myself why I'm doing this.

This is only the beginning and I have a long long journey ahead of me but the one thing that I have been saying these past few days is that I now know that there is no such thing as just one cigarette. In the past I believed that I could have one and then just stop again, well I'm not falling for it this time.

Good luck to everyone who is trying to quit and a great big to all of those who have quit already.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

mad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to behold

Well like I said for me it was not a case of on such a date I'm going to quit smoking, although I had been thinking about it for a while.

I had my last cigarette from the pack before I went out to do some shopping and on the way home thought christ I forgot to pick up some fags, so took a detour to the convenience store. The strange thing was that once I was there I sat in the carpark for ten minutes telling myself that I didn't need them and that I should just go home. I don't know how I done it but I drove home without buying any and 8 days later I still haven't had one.

This is my third attempt at quitting, the first time was around 2 years ago and I quit for 6 months and the second was just before Christmas when I quit for 3 weeks (that was a real poor attempt and the worse time of year) excuse maybe, but hey it's the only one I have. Also on those occasions OH was working in Germany so this time I have someone to nag me.

My OH doesn't smoke and believe it or not it took him till day 6 to notice. When he did finally mention it he said that I was always so discrete about it anyway and that was why he hadn't really noticed.

My incentive is my two children who are only 5.5 and 4 and if I continue to smoke then I beleive that I will be leaving them without a mother at a very young age, a very selfish and cruel thing to do I my opinion.

So every time that little demon pops into my head and I get that urge to have one I just keep reminding myself why I'm doing this.

This is only the beginning and I have a long long journey ahead of me but the one thing that I have been saying these past few days is that I now know that there is no such thing as just one cigarette. In the past I believed that I could have one and then just stop again, well I'm not falling for it this time.

Good luck to everyone who is trying to quit and a great big to all of those who have quit already.
well done it does get easier thats the good thing you wake up get through most of the day and realise you havent even thought of one and it feels good I read alan carrs give up smoking book and not had a cig since but must say I still do LOVE the smell of a freshly lit ciggerette kep up the good work
Old Apr 10th 2007, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by printer
Oh no a smokers thread.
BTW Robin the gadget family i passed the chest x ray but was certainly worried about it and was constantly being nagged by the OH but as you probably know us smokers don't like to be nagged, we have to do it ourselves at the end of the day.
You can just call me 'Robin' if you like! Glad to hear that you passed the chest x-ray test okay. Sooo... another one for our support group! Do you have a date for Canada yet? I've read through 2 pages of your previous posts and couldn't find out when, only where, then gave up!

Thanks for 'coming out'
Robin
Old Apr 10th 2007, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Raine, you sound like you have the right mind-set this time to keep it going.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by blueeyes2002
I gave up 11 months ago with the help of Zyban. I did it through Quit-line and got the tablets free of charge. I stopped on 18 May and haven't wanted one since. I had tried many times over the years and always failed abysmally ( I was between 30 & 40 a day), so much so my husband would have bet money on me failing again, this time round though I did it for me, no-one else.

Our smoking ban here in Guernsey came into force on 02 July last year and was one of the reasons I gave up. My main reason was my health and pocket...

Best of luck to all who choose to do it, don't do it for anyone else but you.

Sandra
Zyban huh? Is that the drug that can cause hallucinations and other bad side affects? Were you troubled by any? Quit line - could be useful to know that too, thanks and happy nearly first anniversary!
Old Apr 10th 2007, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mad city fan
I read alan carrs give up smoking book and not had a cig since :
I actually bought that book in a charity shop last year! i intend to read it!
Old Apr 11th 2007, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute

Zyban huh? Is that the drug that can cause hallucinations and other bad side affects? Were you troubled by any? Quit line - could be useful to know that too, thanks and happy nearly first anniversary!
My hubby tried with 'Zyban' was prescribed it via an NHS Smoking Cessation support group - horrid stuff.

Made him have terrible night sweats, feel really angry & have terrible night mares.

He went to the GP who said he would never prescribe it - not good & to stop taking it immediately.

Needless to say, they didn't work.

Hubby has cut down alot & is gearing himself up for the 1st July.

He's aware of the medical & chest x-ray, which are a long way off, i'm not going to nag him (tried that & it doesn't work), just support & 'encourage' him

Good luck to everyone stopping & planning to stop

Arris
Old Apr 11th 2007, 7:14 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Robin

I quit 6 years ago, after 15 years of smoking 20-30 a day. I used the Nicotinell chewing gum, which was excellent at soothing the cravings. Gradually reduced the gum useage over 3 months. It was my first attempt to stop, and I have to say, it wasn't as horrible as many people say. If you're determined, all you have to do is stop buying cigarettes, and stop putting them in your mouth and lighting them. Sorry, I don't mean to sound flippant, I know it's a big step, but honestly, if you really want to stop, the battle is already more than halfway won.

For me, like many others have said, it was my very young children that gave me the desire to stop.

Now, I simply HATE the smell of clothes from 'the night before in a smoky bar'.

The very best of luck to you... just keep telling yourself "I WANT to stop and I WILL stop."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.