Revolted.

Old Jun 5th 2014, 7:54 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Revolted.

Originally Posted by JonboyE
We can probably agree that the the existence of the tooth fairy is as likely as an old man with a white beard sitting on a throne in the clouds firing thunderbolts at the heathens. That said, I don't think that the weight of evidence that suggests this particular representation of "God" is wrong means that the notion of "God" is necessarily wrong.

Christians would argue that the nature of God is beyond our understanding so any imagining we have will be incorrect. Buddhists will say that God is within human nature and we all have one of those.

For the record, I am not religious and have no belief is a god or gods. I do know people who are highly intelligent, profoundly good and deeply religious. After talking with them I cannot help but think there is something going on there that is beyond my understanding. It also makes me think that dismissing them as intellectual lightweights who believe in fairy stories is not-joined-up thinking.
Don't fret, if it's beyond your understanding it's very likely it's beyond those "highly intelligent" people's understanding too. The difference is that they have probably developed a vast abstraction in place of understanding. Which of course will be explained by the simple word, faith.

The most interesting example of the above is Francis Collins (the renowned geneticist partially behind the Human Genome project). He is a steadfast believer in god. Most atheists would not call him or others like him intellectual lightweights. However they would question the contradictions in his thinking. Questions he is only able to answer by the word, faith.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 8:48 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jossie
How do you know for sure it is made up?
For the same reason I don't think think there are little green men or flying ponies on Jupiter, nobody knows for sure but its not rational to say that say there are when we don't know.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 8:51 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

So you are closed minded then? Even though as a human race we don't even understand a tiny fraction of what there is to know, you yourself know enough to decide one way or the other.
So you think the tooth fairy might exist? Maybe I'm actually god and I'm toying with everyone. I mean it's pretty closed minded of you to not accept the possibility don't you think?
Old Jun 5th 2014, 8:58 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

It was the Muzzies wot done it.
I wuz gonna say that. Moorish intellectuals from the Muslim colonization of Spain and the coexisting cultures of pre-Crusade Sicily, who got friendly with a bunch of Christian monks and got them to turn their dogmatic beliefs on their heads. Of course, the Roman church treated them as heretics, but the seeds had been sown and intellectual curiosity began to reawaken in Europe. But it was largely in spite of, not because of, the church until it was rather more fully established. The earliest university institutions and other church-founded academies were places of religious doctrine and dogma for a long time before they became places of genuine discovery and enlightenment.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 9:01 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Maybe I'm actually god and I'm toying with everyone.
I haven't dismissed this.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 9:03 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

So you are closed minded then? Even though as a human race we don't even understand a tiny fraction of what there is to know, you yourself know enough to decide one way or the other.
Not so. We know a hell of a lot. You need to read your Scientific American a bit more thoroughly. If you had the slightest idea of what we humans (as a species) know, you would not be uttering such nonsense.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 9:05 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
So you think the tooth fairy might exist? Maybe I'm actually god and I'm toying with everyone. I mean it's pretty closed minded of you to not accept the possibility don't you think?
actually it's me. I AM GOD.

And you are all displeasing me and i will smite you. SMITE.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 9:07 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass

So you're now smitten with Alan2005?
Old Jun 5th 2014, 9:07 am
me/moi

How can we know that you are God? I mean, apart from you just saying it?
Old Jun 5th 2014, 9:10 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

I'm Spartacus.

Hang on, no I'm not: my name is Maximus Decimus Meridius ... father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife, etc etc. Was it you what smote them, then?
Old Jun 5th 2014, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

jossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Not so. We know a hell of a lot. You need to read your Scientific American a bit more thoroughly. If you had the slightest idea of what we humans (as a species) know, you would not be uttering such nonsense.
As a human race we don't know jack shit We can't even bring something that's been dead for a day back to life. We are so tiny and insignificant in the scale of things that to think we know a hell of a lot is absurd. I'll stop uttering such nonsense when you stop talking out of your rear end.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 9:16 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
I wuz gonna say that. Moorish intellectuals from the Muslim colonization of Spain and the coexisting cultures of pre-Crusade Sicily, who got friendly with a bunch of Christian monks and got them to turn their dogmatic beliefs on their heads. Of course, the Roman church treated them as heretics, but the seeds had been sown and intellectual curiosity began to reawaken in Europe. But it was largely in spite of, not because of, the church until it was rather more fully established. The earliest university institutions and other church-founded academies were places of religious doctrine and dogma for a long time before they became places of genuine discovery and enlightenment.
I know I read somewhere that Oxford was modeled on the Moorish universities of Al-Andalus but I am b*gg*r*d if I can find a reference.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 9:30 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Correct me if I'm wrong but Moors and Muslims would be followers of Islamic teachings, right?

And Christians, they would be another churchy spirutual group if Im not mistaken....

So these godbotherers managed to do some good it seems.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 9:31 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I know I read somewhere that Oxford was modeled on the Moorish universities of Al-Andalus but I am b*gg*r*d if I can find a reference.
If that's the case, the modellers were pants.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 9:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

As a human race we don't know jack shit We can't even bring something that's been dead for a day back to life.
And Jesus can.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.